Sign in to follow this  
Norbornano

.: HP SAS FIRMWARE | PROBLEM :.

Dear StorageReview Forum Members,

i'm a graphic designer from Italy. I bought 3 Hard Disk HP DF146A8B57 (PROBABLY THERE ARE A Seagate 146Gb SAS ST3146854SS but with HP FIRMWARE).

http://www.zeroipocrisia.com/public/xtremestation/hp_001.jpg

http://www.zeroipocrisia.com/public/xtremestation/001.jpg

I don't have an HP server. If you ask yourself, why this guy bought HP disk without have an HP server, I tell you that I though that this OEM drive and Seagate was the same. Probably are the same drives but with a firmware modification. And I bought it shure that HP made a good HARDWARE. Yes next time i read much better DATASHEET.

Anyways, right now I have this 3 drives and i need support from you. My drives shipped firmware are HPD4. I need to upgrade it to HPD6 or HPD7. I don't know how is better for me.

This is my workstation configuation:

CPU: Intel Core 2 extreme X6800

MOTHERBOARD: ASUS P5WDG2-WS Pro ( chipset 975x )

SAS CONTROLLER: Adaptec 4800SAS (PCI-X)

MEMORY: Corsair XMS2 4x1Gb

POWER SUPPLY: ENERMAX GALAXY 1000WATT

I had installed Windows Server 2003 and Suse Linux 10.0. But i can't load the new FIRMWARE into DISKS.

h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/storage/us/locate/1110_6255.html

h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/storage/us/download/24308.html

h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/storage/us/download/24813.html

I try under Linux to launch CP006370.scexe | CP006611.scexe but no device detected. I read carefully many forum and i connect only one drive to the controller and set it to VOLUME. Linux and Windows detect the device, only the "shell script updater" doesn't detect the DISK. (i try with one disk only..so if something goes wrong...i broke only one SAS disk........and you know that it cost so much money....)

"This disk drive component requires Smart Array P600 firmware version 1.50 or later available at "

Unfortunately i haven't it, only ADAPTEC controller. I contact Adaptec and they tell me to contact HP to upgrade HP firmware to fix a problem when create a striped array. Adaptec tell me to install the latest HP firmware. I try all way but without hardware compliant (HP server) this is an hard work.

Please help me to fix problem with the way to load new firmware.

Thank you in advance

I third party utility like SCSI Toolbox should be able to flash the firmware. I have never used SCSI Toolbox with an Adaptec SAS HBA but it works ok with an LSI one. Personally I have had massive problems with the Adaptec HBA's. The LSI ones are bad but not near as bad as the Adaptec ones.

I third party utility like SCSI Toolbox should be able to flash the firmware. I have never used SCSI Toolbox with an Adaptec SAS HBA but it works ok with an LSI one. Personally I have had massive problems with the Adaptec HBA's. The LSI ones are bad but not near as bad as the Adaptec ones.

Well you tell me that this utility should be able to flash the firmare.

hpd6.gif

This is all file when extracted using SUSE 10.0

sh CP006370.scexe --unpack=directory

THIS UTILITY SCSI TOOLBOX wich kind of files use to update firmware ??

I search around P2p but i find DEMO version only, and probably flashing function is disabled.

Only two question. how SAS disks should be connected to ADAPTEC controller.

I INITIALIZE disk and create VOLUME for each drive to flash ?

Or SCSI TOOLBOX detect disks without ani INITIALIZATION ?

Thank you in advance *_*