cvid

New External Hard Drive not recognized

Hi,

I just puchased a Kingwin KH-350SEU-BK enclosure and a Seagate ST3400620AS 400GB Internal Hard Drive. I attached the hard disk to the enclosure as described in the user manual and attached it to USB port on my notebook. The hard drive is not being recognized both on Windows as well as Linux. I tried it on my friends notebook but it doesn't work there as well :(. Could anyone please help.

The Seagate manual says there is no Master/Slave relationship for drives. I set the jumper to 1.5 Gb/s setting. It still won't work :(.

No it doesn't even show up in XP Disk Management. The Seagate Drive Manual says the disk requires 48-bit address decoding support for the drive to work. It may be a problem with the enclosure. Although the website says it supports all SATA drives, I am having doubts for large capacity drives. Is there a way to find out if my enclosure supports the disk?

Using SATA in USB would not be my first choice. FW800, yes.

Mostly it depends on the bridge they use and of course the firmware (on the USB bridge). But if it is for SATA drives, then there is no master/slave and only SSC and jumper for 1.5 vs 3.0Gbps modes.

The Oxord 924 bridge supports SATA-USB2-FW800 and FW400, but you'll pay for that convenience. It will also support full SATA performance.

This enclosure uses a JM20336 bridge controller. I do not have a FW/eSata port on my notebook. If this works, I intend to buy a eSata card for my notebook. But that looks impossible with this stupid drive not working :(