Sign in to follow this  
RyanH

Firewire Enclosure for 24x7 Operation that Supports Multiple Drives

Hi,

I had posted a few days ago asking about HDD enclosures for single hard drives but am now thinking more seriously about enclosures that support multiple hard drives (2 or 4) and that are accessible via firewire (preferably 800). Any recommendations?

Western Digital just released a (reasonably priced) 1 TB RAID box that has FireWire 800 (FireWire 400, and USB 2.0 as well).

It's user servicable (meaning that if a drive dies, you can pull the drive and have it replaced instead of sending the whole unit back to WD for replacement).

user configurable for RAID-0 (1TB) or RAID-1 (500GB)

It's actually a nice design too

3 year warranty

comes with backup software

wdfMyBook_Pro_2T.jpg

check it out here: http://wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=270

Not all cases are equal when it comes to cooling. I use half a dozen FW800 individual drive cases, but if you are doing something that would put a heavy strain (sustained I/O for an hour or more) they can over-heat. More so with the cheaper dual drive boxes often sold as "RAID enabled firmware" using something like Oxford 922 bridge.

Also, if you want real RAID performance, that usually means adding FW800 controller(s).

Any reason for not using an SATA setup?

Thanks for your replies. Actually, are there firewire enclosures that exposed the individual drives insted of having onboard RAID 0 or RAID 1? I'd rather use linux software RAID as it will provide me with more flexibility (and provide me with better performance). Mad hatter, what do you mean by "Any reason for not using an SATA setup?" Are you referring to eSATA?

eSATA is still SATA and refers to the type of (external) connector. Sometimes you will see "type A" connectors which can get loose or slide off.

I pulled an SATA 7200.9 drive to put in SATA/FW800/USB2 case that does not use the "eSATA" connector but still offers an SATA and FW800 interface so I can move it easily between systems.

ATA (FireWire) means one drive per channel to get true RAID performance. Not an issue with SATA, whether one drive per channel is norm, or using Port Multiplier (up to 5 drives per channel sharing 1.5 or 3Gbps bandwidth).