Sign in to follow this  
RyanH

Understanding ExpressCard

Hi,

I just had a quick question about expresscards, which are becoming more and more common nowadays. I read that:

"All ExpressCard slots accommodate modules designed to use either Universal Serial Bus (USB*) 2.0, or the emerging PCI*Express standards."

Does this mean that ExpressCard slot itself is connected to the motherboard through both a USB 2.0 interface and a PCI*Express interface and that depending on which slot the card that you purchased is fitted for, it can connect to the necessary interface? Or is it that the manufacturer of the motherboard can decided whether to allow the ExpressCard to connect through USB 2.0 or PCI*Express, depending on if he wants a cheaper solution (USB) or a more high-speed solution (PCI*Express)? Thanks for your help.

To my knowledge, the ExpressCard slot always connects directly to the PCIe bus. If a peripheral wants to connect via USB, it would plug into a USB port instead. I expect you can get ExpressCard devices that provide extra USB ports, but the ExpressCard device would still act as a USB controller connected via PCIe.

Looks like all ExpressCard slots must provide both PCI-e and USB 2 support. Individual modules are likely to only support one or the other.

From the FAQ

"All ExpressCard slots accommodate modules designed to use either Universal Serial Bus (USB*) 2.0, or the emerging PCI*Express standards."

"The ExpressCard interface uses high-speed PCI Express or USB 2.0 serial interfaces through a 26 contact high-performance beam-on-blade connector. "

The ExpressCard form factor includes pins that connect to the PCI Express bus as well as the USB.

I have an ExpressCard memory card reader that shows up as a USB device only. It doesn't add a new USB controller, it just shows up as a USB device plugged in to a "Root Hub" the way any USB memory card reader would show up plugged into any other USB port.

This means that for less-needy devices (such as memory card readers,) they can use the ExpressCard slot as an internal USB-connected device, and for more complex devices (such as an eSATA controller or a FireWire 800 controller,) they connect to the PCI Express bus. (It is a PCI Express x1 connection, so it's "only" ~250 MB/s, but someone could design a video card for it, if they really felt like it.)