Sign in to follow this  
gaboo

Buying open box HDD from newegg?

Bad sectors? DOA?

I bought openbox memory before from newegg twice before. It worked fine and dandy every time... Same goes for graphic card, although that one didn't work until I paired it with a beefier power supply. I assume that incompatibility or user incompetence were amongst the reasons for returns, and it seems I was right. Can't figure out why someone would return a drive though. Other than bought SATA but needed PATA kinda' stuff... I did buy an openbox floppy once (hey it had free shipping which halved the price), and it was DOA.

Can someone here share their experience with newegg openbox drives?

I recently bought a Laptop Drive as open box, had a hard time getting Drive Image 7.0 to upgrade to the new drive. I ended up just reinstalling Win2K manually. Seemed sealed and untouched to me, bare drive in sealed anti-static bag.

Once again user incompetance will play into that. Advertised 320gb hd will appear as 298gb, 300gb will appear as 279gb. People don't realize, hd manufacturers count 1gb as 1000mb, 1mb as 1000kb, 1kb as 1000bytes. Computers count 1gb as 1024mb, 1mb as 1024kb, 1kb as 1024bytes. This will cause reduction in capacity that we have not seen before, because the difference is neglidgable on smaller drives. The terabyte drives now out by hitachi will appear as 931.322gb, because again, they're measuring in a language different then the computer does. Again, due to this, people will think they have a faulty drive, and return it. Also, windows xp pre-sp1 will not recognize drives over 127gb, and will report them as being 127gb. Again, the error lies within the user.

Edited by serial

I've had plenty of "refurbished" drives which have done fine, honestly I think if you get past a few days without a problem and keep them defragged if necessary, I've never had a problem... only drive I've owned that's taken a dump was a used SCSI disk that was ex-server material... for home use I don't see enough hours logged to reach the real death time where bearings and such give out.