greenjeens

New Seagate SATA 500GB in Mac G4, Clicking noises then stopped loading

I bought a new Seagate 500GB and a SATA PCI card for my G4 400 Sawtooth Mac about 2 weeks ago. Partioned on 20 GB for OS backup and the rest for itunes. Downloaded my 200GB itunes library, form another seagate ext FW drive.

Everything seemed to work OK with light use for a week, but tonight the music stopped in the middle of a song and then the drive started making loud clicking noises, much like the two part sound of a photo being taken. I could get the mounted drive to run awhile, but it just stuck on that clicking noise about every ten seconds or so eventually.

I don't know much about drives, but I checked the drive status in disc utility and it said everything was ok.

Should i check anything else, like the SATA card? Or does it sound like a drive issue? Funny thing in the system profiler it says it is a SCSI card? Also listed as a "slave drive" in Tech Tools.

Here's more info about the drive and SATA card...

Disk Description : ST3500641AS Total Capacity : 465.8 GB (500,107,862,016 Bytes)

Connection Bus : ATA Write Status : Read/Write

Connection Type : Internal S.M.A.R.T. status : Verified

Connection ID : Device 1

===================================================

Name : itunes backup

Type : Volume

Disk Identifier : disk3s3

Mount Point : /Volumes/itunes backup 1

File System : Mac OS Extended

Connection Bus : ATA

IO Content : Apple_HFS

Device Tree : pci/SerialATA+IDE-XRack@4/@1:3

Writable : Yes

Capacity : 444.9 GB (477,680,893,952 Bytes)

Free Space : 239.0 GB (256,672,919,552 Bytes)

Used : 205.8 GB (221,007,974,400 Bytes)

Number of Files : 8,619

Number of Folders : 2,435

Permissions Enabled : Yes

Can Turn Permissions Off : Yes

Can Repair Permissions : No

Can Be Verified : Yes

Can Be Repaired : Yes

Can Be Formatted : Yes

Bootable : Yes

=======================

(SATA PCI card)

XRack SUA-100 Rev.1.7:

Name: SerialATA+IDE-XRack

Type: scsi

Bus: PCI

Slot: SLOT-D

I swapped the the internal A connection for the other B SATA connection and the drive seems to work fine.

Is it common to find one bad connector circuit on a dual SATA PCI card?

Thanks,

Dave

suggest u leave it in the OK connection for a few days of usage just to be sure the strange clicking do not come back. It might be a kind of seagate background defect scan run in.

suggest u leave it in the OK connection for a few days of usage just to be sure the strange clicking do not come back. It might be a kind of seagate background defect scan run in.

Good idea. I've left itunes running off the new Seagate 500 SATA drive over night and I'll leave it running for the next week or so and see if any problems crop up. I also booted from the new drive's partition, where I copied my OS 10.3.9, and ran that for awhile, with no problems.

If no problems occur I'll take back the Macsense SATA controller card to Frey's electronics and swap for a new one. The SATA PCI card I bought was the only one in the store at the time and it was return. I went to Frey's last night and found a bunch more new controler cards.

Thanks very much.

Darn the music just stopped in the middle of song and the Seagate 500 SATA drive started to make the clicking noises again. I ran disk repair and verification and it said the disc was OK.

The music will play awhile and then start clicking. When I open the itunes app there is a tendancy for itunes to use the backup fw drive to read from instead of the SATA drive. If I eject the backup FW drive then it will read from SATA drive.

Somethings not right, but it is one of those intermitent problems. Music is playing now OK.

Does this sound like a drive fault, a PCI fault or a compatibailty problem. The fact that it takes a few days to show up on each SATA port connector is strange but should provide clues.

Should i call Seagate tech support or try to return the drive to Freys? I'm over the 15 day return for drives, but I'm not shure how that applies to defective drives. I'm bummed:(

I guess i can just try to take everything back and stay with FW dries for backup, instead of trying to get a SATA drive that I can migrate to a new Mac pro desktop later.

The drive finally just stopped so I ran disc utility and this was the error message.

Verifying volume “itunes backupâ€

Checking HFS Plus volume.

Checking Extents Overflow file.

Checking Catalog file.

Keys out of order

The volume itunes backup needs to be repaired.

Volume check failed.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit (-9972)

1 volume checked

0 HFS volumes verified

1 volume failed verification