Cheekykid

Silencing my raptor 74gbADFD

Is there any way maybe a top notch bay case that can 90%+ silence this beast? money is no object.

right now is noisy as hell :angry:

I would advise decoupling it completely from the case. I have my WD740GD on a piece of Acoustipak foam and you can't hear it any more. Previously even with rubber grommets the vibrations were driving me nuts.

For the price of a good case you can buy a new Raptor. Sell the old one one or send it to me. It would blend right in with the 2 in my case :D

Edited by photoz

Some combination of decoupling the drive from the case (elastic suspension, resting on foam or at least secured with rubber grommets) and muffling the airborne noise (drive silencing enclosures rated for 10K drives, acoustipack lining for your case, putting the case under your desk instead of on top of it) would be best.

It depends to some extent whether you're bothered by the idle whine, the clattering/ticking seek noise, or juswt everything.

Some cases do a much better job at damping/blocking hard drive noise than others - the Antec P150 and larger P180 are both pretty good, other cases would tend to require more modifications to effectively silence them.

Trouble is, as soon as your hard drive is quiet, you start noticing your graphics card fan. Get a passive graphics card, and your CPU fan is too noisy, or you can hear a buzz from your PSU. Deal with that, replace your case fans, buy lots of fanmates and slow all your fans down even more, and assuming your computer doesn't melt from lack of airflow... you'll start noticing a noise from your screen, or the mouse, or the fridge downstairs... you'll start making your kids talk in whispers, you'll complain to the police when someone five doors down practises their piano, and before you know it, you're looking at moving somewhere more remote... it's a slippery slope!

http://www.silentpcreview.com exists to reassure you that there are people who care more about noise than you do. There are some useful tips in their forums about reducing hard drive noise, too! :D

you'll complain to the police when someone five doors down practises their piano
:lol:

I had this problem too... after I silenced my PC I started hearing my screen and mouse as well. At first I thought it was mosquitoes, but alas... I tried earplugs, but then the sound of my breathing got annoying.

One day, I decided this was ridiculous and then stopped noticing it.

Mind over matter is a wonderful thing.

By the way what were they playing on the piano? A nice bit of jazz improv could be quite nice.

Is there any way maybe a top notch bay case that can 90%+ silence this beast? money is no object.

right now is noisy as hell :angry:

I got an Antec P180B case that is darn near silent, as long as the exhaust fans are set to low, and looks darn nice, too. It's a little big, but I figure its sheer weight is a theft deterrant. I doubt that a thief is going to run anywhere carrying this case. It almost takes 2 people to lift it with 2 optical drive and 4 hard drives in it. The panels are made with a plastic panel sandwitched between 2 steel plates, so they don't transfer vibrations at all. Just be aware that the hinge on the door may look like it's fragile, but it's supposed to be that way and the forward part of the hinge lets loose to allow the front door to swing out 270 degrees. It has a black monolith look to it which I find quite appealing. I have 2 Seagate 7200.8 and 2 7200.10 drives in it and the way the drives mount they transfer no vibration at all to the case. I'm completely unable to hear them outside of the case.

Some combination of decoupling the drive from the case (elastic suspension, resting on foam or at least secured with rubber grommets) and muffling the airborne noise (drive silencing enclosures rated for 10K drives, acoustipack lining for your case, putting the case under your desk instead of on top of it) would be best.

There's no need for an enclosure. My setup both removes the vibrational effects, any idle whine and the crunchy seek noises. In the P180 the setup can either be put in the lower chamber if total HDs in case are 3 or less or in the upper drive cage if setup involves 4-5 HDs.

It depends to some extent whether you're bothered by the idle whine, the clattering/ticking seek noise, or juswt everything.

Some cases do a much better job at damping/blocking hard drive noise than others - the Antec P150 and larger P180 are both pretty good, other cases would tend to require more modifications to effectively silence them.

Trouble is, as soon as your hard drive is quiet, you start noticing your graphics card fan. Get a passive graphics card, and your CPU fan is too noisy, or you can hear a buzz from your PSU. Deal with that, replace your case fans, buy lots of fanmates and slow all your fans down even more, and assuming your computer doesn't melt from lack of airflow... you'll start noticing a noise from your screen, or the mouse, or the fridge downstairs... you'll start making your kids talk in whispers, you'll complain to the police when someone five doors down practises their piano, and before you know it, you're looking at moving somewhere more remote... it's a slippery slope!

http://www.silentpcreview.com exists to reassure you that there are people who care more about noise than you do. There are some useful tips in their forums about reducing hard drive noise, too! :D

Crazy how quickly people forget how loud ball bearing drives of old were! Not only that, the seeking was extremely loud too. I know it's all personal preference, but there is not a drive made in the last 5 years that could annoy me with its seeking noise. However, give it that high pitched whine of a worn out ball bearing and you might as well shoot me.

I had this problem too... after I silenced my PC I started hearing my screen and mouse as well. At first I thought it was mosquitoes, but alas... I tried earplugs, but then the sound of my breathing got annoying.

One day, I decided this was ridiculous and then stopped noticing it.

What exactly does a mouse sound like? Does it squeak? :lol:

Seriously tho go with the antec p180, as far as I can tell it's the best case ever made if noise is your concern. And it's got a great cooling system and room for tons of hard drives. And it's only like $120.

What exactly does a mouse sound like? Does it squeak? :lol:

Seriously tho go with the antec p180, as far as I can tell it's the best case ever made if noise is your concern. And it's got a great cooling system and room for tons of hard drives. And it's only like $120.

A.N other vote for the P180 here, a MAU, Raptor and DM10 are pretty much inaudible in mine with them mounted on grommets.

greg

One vote for the Antec Solo case.

Dual hard drive mounting system – two ways to mount your hard drives for best possible quiet operation.

- Tray Mount – Four HDD trays with extra soft silicone grommets to reduce hard drive noise

- Suspension Mount - HDD suspension system for up to three hard drives to maximize noise reduction

Power supply flexibility. Accommodates any ATX12V or ATX12V v2.0 form factor power supply. For truly silent computing, the choice of power supply is crucial. Antec recommends choosing from our NeoHE, Phantom, or TruePower 2.0 power supplies.

8 Drive Bays (or 7 drive bays with Suspension Mount of the HDD)

- External: 4 x 5.25†(one with 5.25†to 3.5†adapter)

- Internal: 4x 3.5†(Tray Mount) or 3 x 3.5†(Suspension Mount) for HDD

Dual-layer steel & plastic sound-deadening panels

Front-mounted ports provide convenient connections

- 2 x USB 2.0

- 1 x IEEE 1394 (FireWire®, i.Link®)

- Audio in/out

Cable Organizer behind drive bay minimizes cable clutter

Built-in washable air filter

Enhanced Cooling System

- 1 rear 120 mm TriCoolâ„¢ fan with 3-speed switch control

- 2 front fan mounts for optional 92 mm fans to cool the HDD

Motherboard: Fits micro and Standard ATX

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=18500

Yep, the Solo's good - essentially a black P150 without the NeoHE PSU. Advantages over the P180 include smaller size, HDD suspension and lower price; disadvantages include a higher possibility that a fan will ramp up, and the inability to use a 120mm front fan (though a pair of Nexus 92mm fans would still be very quiet there).

Some optical mice make a very high pitched sound from some aspect of the electronics. Don't try to find it, or you'll constantly be noticing it! Likewise, CRTs tend to make a high pitched noise, and even some LCD screens have PSUs that make noise. Not loud, but it could get on your nerves if there's nothing to mask it. Fan noise is comparatively innocent, at least at low speeds.

Oh, and in my case, it was my next door neighbour playing "The Entertainer" on keyboard over and over again... badly. When I moved house, that was one thing I was definitely glad to leave behind!

You really have to be able to decide what's quiet enough for you - there's no point spending time, effort and money on reducing PC noise if if the environment is noisier than the PC. High pitched whines, harsh seek noises and leafblower fans are one thing, but at some point you're sacrificing cooling for the sake of less noise, and you have to decide what you're comfortable with.

Fact of the matter is am water cooling so no noise comes from the cpu or gpu. PSU was fine till i decided to see if its fan makes a noise. I stopped the fan for couple of seconds and when I let it go it was sounding different than before :blink: which means maybe i screwed the inside motor. Next thing I remembered is I RMA it :lol:

There are certain kind of noises which I can accept and certain that drive me crazy like raptors. I bought a scythe case plus foam to put it on top. Wanna see how raptors rattling handles that ;)

Edited by Cheekykid

Just different preferences I guess. As I said, I could listen to a rattling hard drive all day, but a whining hard drive or a buzzing fan will drive me nuts. I'm getting rid of the crappy asus HSF on the nForce4 chip since that fan is SOOOOO loud. Without it, my rig will be incredibly quiet.

Edited by K15