Sign in to follow this  
tempus

Question regarding my Maxtor D740X

I have had my Maxtor D740X 60 gig drive for about 2 weeks.

My question is this.

Is it normal to hear the drive spin down when the computer shuts off?

I hear the head being retracted the minute power is shut off however the drive makes a noticeable "whine" when it spins down!

It should be normal it happens when you shut down. As long as it is not clicking. The whinning could be your hard disk or your CPU fan, case fan, etc. I have three hard disks, 7 fans, and the whinning all the time, not too loud though.

It is definitely not a click or a scraping sound. I guess it is normal but i have never heard a hard drive make this "whine" sound when shutting down. Just was wondering if it is normal.

I have a 40 and an 80 gig D740X and they both whine on startup & shutdown, as well as make the dull click sound (which I am sure is the heads parking) on shut-down.

I have had my Maxtor D740X 60 gig drive for about 2 weeks.

My question is this.

Is it normal to hear the drive spin down when the computer shuts off?

I hear the head being retracted the minute power is shut off however the drive makes a noticeable "whine" when it spins down!

Yes this is Normal from the D740X Drives, all of them do that and also there is a whine when they start up if you didn't notice. Everyone that i have talked to have the same thing this is a Quantum thing. all Quantums Make a whine at SpinUp/Down but the Loud Click must be something new to it. so this is normal, oh forgot to say i have one my self D740X 80GB (BB) and getting a second 80GB.

Oh Yeah i also have DM+ 40 40GB and 30GB, 40GB super Loud on SpinUp and IDLE but silent on ShutDown but a little loud Click when it turns off, my quess the Read/Write heads just go back to landing sone and stay there, it's a Maxtor feature that they have on these HDDs also the old old ones make this. with the years the DM+ 40 40GB has gotten louder on IDLE but nothing else.

Guest Anonymous
i have one my self D740X 80GB (BB) and getting a second 80GB.

Are the 80gig just as reliable as the 40gig or 60gig?

D740X Specs

80GB 2x40GB Platter/s , 4 Read/Write Head/s

60GB 2x40GB Platter/s , 3 Read/Write Head/s

40GB 1x40GB Platter , 2 Read/Write Head/s

20GB 1x40GB Platter , 1 Read/Write Head[/code]

theoretically the smaller drive with less platters is more reliable...

less strain on the bearings, less moving parts, less current required in the actuator coil...