TheJack

Cannot delete folder

LAME 3.97 final came out today, as you may or you may not know. I downloaded the zip, unpacked it and put the files under "Program Files" in "lame3.97" folder.

Strange things begun to happen, as the said folder wouldn't open: Access Denied. I tried to delete it: Access Denied. I tried Unlocker (http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/): Cannot Delete Folder. I tried to reboot Windows many times - the folder won't budge.

I tried to delete it under Safe Mode: Access Denied. I took the HDD to another computer and tried to delete the folder there (from that computer's Windows system): Access Denied.

I'm out of ideas. At first I thought, that the HDD might be faulty, so I tried the same thing on another computer: Now I cannot delete the folder from there also! I did the chkdsk /f. I did System Defrag. I don't know what else to do.

It's your permissions. Right-click and reset permission to "Full" for "Everyone." Make sure all subfiles and folders inherit. You should then be able to delete.

You'll need to be in an administrator account.

Brendan

LAME 3.97 final came out today, as you may or you may not know. I downloaded the zip, unpacked it and put the files under "Program Files" in "lame3.97" folder.

Strange things begun to happen, as the said folder wouldn't open: Access Denied. I tried to delete it: Access Denied. I tried Unlocker (http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/): Cannot Delete Folder. I tried to reboot Windows many times - the folder won't budge.

I tried to delete it under Safe Mode: Access Denied. I took the HDD to another computer and tried to delete the folder there (from that computer's Windows system): Access Denied.

I'm out of ideas. At first I thought, that the HDD might be faulty, so I tried the same thing on another computer: Now I cannot delete the folder from there also! I did the chkdsk /f. I did System Defrag. I don't know what else to do.

Thank you very much for your answer!

I managed to get into folder, but now I cannot delete the files. I had to do it in Safe Mode, because in "Normal Mode" I cannot get "Security" tab on the right-click. Even though I am pretty sure, that I am logged in as Administrator.

I must confess, I am completely clueless, when it comes to advanced file management (permissions for files and folders). I set everything on "Allow" for folder permissions, but I still cannot delete the files; when I try to go to "Security" tab for a file, I get "You're not allowed...." and so on.

So, I would very much appreciate a little more detailed instructions or maybe a link on the subject.

Besides that, I still don't know what caused files/folders in lame3.97.zip to "disallow" themselves. I never experienced nothing even remotely like that before.

You'll have to take ownership of the files before you can set permissions.

Right Click => Properties => Security => Advanced => Owner

Select your account/group and also ensure "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" is selected.

Then make sure you replace the permissions on the file(s) themselves as well as the folder.

I did it!!!

I googled a little, and I found the way to enable "Security" tab (Disable "Use Simple File Sharing"). Then I somehow managed to get permissions for files.

Thank you again, bgetchel!

Oh, I answered before I saw your reply, qasdfdsaq. Thanks anyway. Maybe from now on, I'll at least know what I am doing, when I'll have to deal with this next time (hopefully never again!) :D