Atamido

What Motherboard for Areca ARC-1230 & Core 2 Duo CPU?

After several months, I'm finally building a server that uses an Areca ARC-1230 12 port SATA RAID controller. Though, because it's taken so long to get around to it, the Core 2 Duo has come out for desktops, so I've decided to use it instead of the Athlon X2. (The E6300 is speedy, cheap, and thermally efficient.) Unfortunately, this means I need to find a different motherboard to purchase.

Does anyone know of a motherboard (preferably using an Intel 9x5 series chipset) that supports the Core 2 Duo and the Areca ARC-1230? It should have onboard gigabit ethernet and support ECC RAM. Onboard video would be nice, but I can always get a cheap PCI video card.

Other components:

Supermicro SC933T-R760

Areca 1GB SODIM upgrade for ARC-1230

8x Seagate 750GB ST3750640AS (leaving room to drop 4 more into the RAID 6 if necessary.)

4x 1GB ECC RAM. (Probably Crucial PC2-5300, but I'm not committed)

Windows XP SP2. (It will be file storage, plus a place to run differentials on stored files for backup.)

Asus P5W64 WS Professional perhaps?

Actually I think anything would work, but having not personally tested the ARC-1230 with any of the 975X or P965 boards currently in my possession, I'm reluctant to be definitive here.

As none of the 975X or P965 chipsets have onboard video that might be an issue. Try a new G965 chipset board, mayb?

It doesn't appear that the P965 chipset supports ECC, which is a real shame because it's new memory controller is supposed to be a lot better. :(

If you have any nForce chipset recommendations, they would also be much appreciated. In the end, I need *something* that someone can confirm it working with.

We usually have 3ware stuff laying around... I don't have any Areca stuff in my personal possession at the moment, and I can't exactly borrow one from another customer at the moment. Doh.

Ah thanks! How long have you been using the 1220 and the P5W64 together? How many/what size drives? And what RAID setup?

Without any other input, I will probably just get this board.

my p5w64 has an option in the BIOS for ECC ram, and it works fine with my areca 1220.

Nox

does it use the ram though? my old asus p4b533 (845 chipset) "supports" ECC , but doesn't actually do anything with it.. same as with the asus p5w dh that I put in a cadd workstation