Guest Eugene

Seagate Cheetah 15K.5

Guest Eugene

Seagate's latest is the first SCSI drive to incorporate perpendicular recording technology and pushes the bar for 15K RPM spindle speeds to an impressive 300 GB. How does the industry giant's newest fare? Join SR as we put the 15K.5 to the test!

Seagate Cheetah 15K.5 Review

Pssst! Eugene, time for a front page update!!

Bah, no SAS version yet... and performance remains eh. Looks like I'll stick with the Atlas 15K II... however much time it has left to live in Maxtor's line-up.

Pssst! Eugene, time for a front page update!!

Bah, no SAS version yet... and performance remains eh. Looks like I'll stick with the Atlas 15K II... however much time it has left to live in Maxtor's line-up.

My sources indicate all Maxtor enterprise levels will be EOL in middle Nov. All current production has been allocated and no new orders are being accepted.

The 15k.5 performance out side of STR is pretty underwhelming. I guess it would be for streaming video but other then that it looks just slow.

We've got our Maxtor supply of anticipated production secured for the next several months, but for personal use, finding a single Atlas 15k II SAS shouldn't be a big deal...

Seagate's latest is the first SCSI drive to incorporate perpendicular recording technology and pushes the bar for 15K RPM spindle speeds to an impressive 300 GB. How does the industry giant's newest fare? Join SR as we put the 15K.5 to the test!

A few comments.

The "lowest real-time price (300 GB)" link at the top of the article points to quotes for the 146 GB part.

The jpeg of a 15K.5 disk on the first page shows a ST3300655LW model (300 GB Ultra 320, 68 pin model I presume). The firmware revision is on the label but is too small to make out. Could you tell us which the firmware revision was used for the tests?

The lack of an effective desktop mode is puzzling. The PM (performance mode) bit has been in the Seagate vendor specific (unit attention) mode page for some time and is used by many models prior to the 15K.5 . It is also present in the 15K.5 and is changeable but seems to have no measurable effect. There is another "standard" (see SBC-2 and SBC-3) bit in the caching mode page called Initiator Control (IC) whose description is similar to the Seagate's for the PM bit. Could you set the IC bit in the caching mode page and see if it makes any difference for the single user performance tests? One would expect to see some benefit from the increase in cache size from 8 MB to 16 MB between the 15K.4 and 15K.5 series.

There are a few other improvements (over the 15K.4 series). The nonrecoverable read error rate has improved from 1 in 10**15 bits read to 1 in 10**16 bits read. Probably associated with this the number of ECC bytes per sector has increased from 54 to 68 bytes. Seagate's sales literature talks about "second generation" background media scan (BMS) support. The translation is that the 15K.4 series used a proprietary BMS scheme whereas the 15K.5 series complies with the BMS defined in SBC-3 (which is still a draft and can be found at www.t10.org ).

Hi all,

Quick question. The review of the Cheetah 15k.5 hard drive shows the idle noise level of the 15.4k as being 42 db. Yet, in the database, and in the review of the 15k.4 drive, it is shown as being 48 db. Was there a new revision released between reviews? :wacko:

Just a bit perplexed. Hope you can help!

AFAIK, the 15K.4 wasn't retested to provide the comparison numbers in this review. I'd guess the 42 db figure was a typo of some sort, unless Eugene suggests othetrwise.

I always doubt the reliability of reviews of some sites and the review of ths drive is too strange.

January 3, 2006

http://www.storagereview.com/articles/2006...1500ADFD_5.html

In WOW performance:

Seagate Cheetah 15k.4: 833

Maxtor Atlas15 K II: 658

August 28, 2006

http://www.storagereview.com/articles/2006...300655LW_4.html

Maxtor Atlas15 K II: 658

Seagate Cheetah 15k.4: 410

Seagate Cheetah 15k.5: 442

On August 28, 2006 the Seagate Cheetah 15k.4: 410 has less then half of the performance measured on January 3, 2006

Did you read the first page of the latter review? They retested under a different set of settings for the 15k.4. Emphasis added.

When testing the previous generation of Seagate's SCSI drives (Savvio 10K.1, Cheetah 10K.7, and Cheetah 15K.5), StorageReview uncovered significant performance differences when these drives were set to different predefined cache segmentation strategies through Seagate's Seatools Enterprise utility. The Cheetah 15K.5, however, returns the same scores regardless of whether the utility's "Performance Mode" setting is toggled on or off. In the tests that follow, however, the older Cheetah 15K.4's scores are represented by scores when the drive's PM setting is "off" (in other words, server mode).

No, but the 15K.6 doesn't appear to be shipping in very large volumes yet either-- a Froogle search only shows it at two stores and one of them doesn't even have any in stock. A check of my usual distributors doesn't show too many stocking it in volume yet either.

No, but the 15K.6 doesn't appear to be shipping in very large volumes yet either-- a Froogle search only shows it at two stores and one of them doesn't even have any in stock. A check of my usual distributors doesn't show too many stocking it in volume yet either.

Well I think the 15K.6 series should be ramping into production and be well distributed soon. I am betting my money that it sure beats the Fujitsu MBA series to the market, despite being one generation newer.

Well I think the 15K.6 series should be ramping into production and be well distributed soon. I am betting my money that it sure beats the Fujitsu MBA series to the market, despite being one generation newer.

Has anyone seen any good reviews of these yet in a RAID 0,5,6 arrays yet? I saw one site that had a review of one but it did not seem to scale very well when raided. I think this was most likely due to the tester using an on board controller but it is a big investment to not know that ahead of time. Also I was hoping to find out about the noise these things produce.