Sen

Samsung SpinPoint T166 160GB SATA2 (HD160HJ) 1st look

Guest 888

Looks a good contemporary drive! Anyway, nice results, also in almost all real life benchmarks it takes lead over Seagate 7200.9 160GB (perpendicular version). And it shows up pretty cool-running!

Now we are looking for T166 series 320GB and 500GB versions, too. :)

Guest 888

And here it is - HDtach result (found from the Net) for new T166 series 500GB Samsung HD501LJ:

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/2096/hddei6.png

Almost 85 MB/s max, 68 MB/s average! Not bad, in fact the highest STR 7200rpm drive to date!

But the random access 16.2 ms does not look good...

And here it is - HDtach result (found from the Net) for new T166 series 500GB Samsung HD501LJ:

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/2096/hddei6.png

Almost 85 MB/s max, 68 MB/s average! Not bad, in fact the highest STR 7200rpm drive to date!

But the random access 16.2 ms does not look good...

Hi, that was a benchmark that I did, which I posted up on SilentPCReview (as soujir0u). The seek time might be a bit low, but the seek noise is really inaudible - much better than the P120, P80 and Seagate 7200.8 IDE hard disks that I have owned in the past.

Hi, that was a benchmark that I did, which I posted up on SilentPCReview (as soujir0u). The seek time might be a bit low, but the seek noise is really inaudible - much better than the P120, P80 and Seagate 7200.8 IDE hard disks that I have owned in the past.

hm, maybe aam is active?

can you check this und make hdtach with aam enabled/disabled? :)

how is the drive doing on the vibrations front?

This will be my next drive, no question about it.

My P120 and my seagates both have 2 platters and i kind of wanted to keep to 2 platters as less platters should mean less problems, but maybe this is just superstition.

Is samsung going to release any larger drives than 500 megs in the near future?

Shiki, use some manufacturer-independent utility to change/verify current AAM setting... like HDDScan freeware: single file executable, no installation, runs in Windows, no rebooting, no boot floppies. Can't be any easier.

Not just AAM, but HDDScan also has SMART monitoring, STR graphs (read, write, verify scanning of every sector(*)), APM (for Hitachis), etc.

(*) mainly for diagnostic purposes and not for benchmarks due to being very slow.

If for some reason HDDScan cannot detect it (=an unfortunate possibility if you use some PCI controller to mount your drive) you can always try to change AAM setting with Hitachi Feature Tool bootable diskette. It has support for certain common PCI controllers (like most Promise models) and can configure HDDs that are not made by Hitachi or IBM.

Guest 888

Samsung T166 320GB (16MB, SATA300, NCQ) is also available now, several distributors have it already in their listings.

But one thing is weird...

Its model code is HD321KJ where according to Samsung's scheme the meaning of "K" is 5-heads. So is it really a 3-platter drive? Why? Although it is also claimed to use 167GB platters...

L = 6 heads

K = 5 heads

J = 4 heads

I = 3 heads

H = 2 heads

G = 1 head

May-be just an outlet for partially failed 500GB models?

Edited by 888

Samsung T166 320GB (16MB, SATA300, NCQ) is also available now, several distributors have it already in their listings.

Its model code is HD321KJ where according to Samsung's scheme the meaning of "K" is 5-heads. So is it really a 3-platter drive? Why? Although it is also claimed to use 167GB platters...

L = 6 heads

K = 5 heads

J = 4 heads

I = 3 heads

H = 2 heads

G = 1 head

I just picked up one of these right before Christmas to put in an HTPC. How can I tell how many platters it has?

Guest 888

It's interesting to note:

Samsung did the same price trick like they earlier did with their 400GB drive now also with 500GB (HD501LJ) - Taking its price by 30...40% down if to compare to competitors' 500GB's.

So it is - now this 500GB SATA Samsung has the same cost per 1GB like 250/320/400GB drives have!

Edited by 888

L = 6 heads

K = 5 heads

J = 4 heads

I = 3 heads

H = 2 heads

G = 1 head

Has anyone been able to confirm with 100% certainty whether this drive is 2 or 3 platter? Seems odd to me it would be 3 but who knows...

hi everyone...

I recently bought a samsung HD501LJ and using the hitachi tool I managed to set its AAM setting to quiet mode... but the problem is that the system can't hold the value I set, so everytime I make a reboot I I have to change the setting again and again...

help anyone...??