michaelsil1

Is anyone excited about Vista?

First is Vista 32 or 64bit and is it worth the extra expense that Microsoft is asking for it? I'm not overly thrilled with Microsoft right now so I might be a little biased. I don't really see any major improvements to warrant an upgrade from XP Pro. How do you feel about Vista and is it worth it? :unsure:

No, no and no. Vista is good if you enjoy being asking 1,000,000,000 times if you are sure you clicked the correct button. Also, vista is good if you enjoy watching a slideshow while using it. I enjoy the look of 2k and have my XP setup to look as if it is. Plus, the security is wayy overkill if you are beyond the level of peon.

No, no and no. Vista is good if you enjoy being asking 1,000,000,000 times if you are sure you clicked the correct button. Also, vista is good if you enjoy watching a slideshow while using it. I enjoy the look of 2k and have my XP setup to look as if it is. Plus, the security is wayy overkill if you are beyond the level of peon.

I fully agree with amdoverclocker2.

// WinCC

I've been playing with Vista since the first releases and I've tried to stay objective and see the good in the OS,but even now with RC1 when i shift back to XP Pro it's like going to a highly polished OS compared to Vista.I guess for the masses who get a dell or hp every few years Vista will be ok.Aero Glass gets old as hell in a hurry.With that said we all just as well get used to it.I have no choice as i do this stuff for food and shelter.Please don't flame for calling XP a highly polished OS. :)

I've also been using Vista since the early stages. I don't see too much to get excited about. I'd wager the migration to Vista immediately after its public release will not be as pronounced as it was to XP, with most people 'getting Vista' via a new comp from the large oem's. You can finally game on Vista if you've installed RC1. The OS looks good I guess, but I find that I have it looking like Win2K after a week anyway. So much for 3D GUI's, Aero, etc...And the first thing I do is turn off all the search / indexing stinker, making Vista way happier. Turning off all eye candy & spending some time cleaning up Startup items as well as stopping unecessary services can chop Vista's rammage appetite in half. The early Vista releases would be using ~850MB of ram as you booted to the desktop for the very first time after installation...

Edited by Ron_Jeremy

I installed RC1 on my wife's new laptop - Turion X2, 1gb RAM.

My wife likes the new Aero Glass theme a lot.

Its pretty much stable.

Fast user switching for domain users.

WPA 802.1x authentication actually works as like it supposed to.

Drivers built in for everything on the laptop, including the wireless card.

Dislikes

I hate the Aero Glass look. :)

Somewhat slow, even with Aero glass disabled. I'll admit that I haven't done much performance tuning yet.

I'll probably install it when I build a new PC.

Edited by lizardking009

Vista uses around 850MB of RAM!!!! hahahhahahhaha hilarious! What ever, and what ever to their terrible looking 3D GUI as well.

In my mind vista is another dinosaur on stilts, only this time wearing fake gucci sunglasses and a pink tina turner wig to go with the leash. Lets hope microsoft dont jank it to forcefully, I hear there is a termite infestation in one of the stilts...

XP is rock solid now and a joy to use. Not much I cant do with XP with what I do, so I see no reason to change at all. For me its a loud: Most definately not!

Vista is the new fundraiser for Micro$oft and the OEM's. It is also a better way to enforce copyright protection beyond XP's capabilities. Hang on to all your old XP serial numbers, you may need them in a couple of years.

I have no interest in Vista. MS are just another corporation trying to rip off consumers. XP is fine for my purposes. It is unnecessary to release a new OS at this time.

Sounds like the old Win 2000 vs XP question,

but now it's Win 2000 vs Vista.

Performance vs candy looks. How many of us hate the XP search dog?

I imagine Win Visa is meant for people who never even owned a PC before.

So to answer your question ... No I'm not.

yup quite true with the 2000/xp analogy

most of us wouldnt convert from 2000 to XP due to the very same reasons stated earlier

2000 is rock solid... i'm never gonna go to XP.....

give vista 1yr+ after release and 2 service packs and it will be rock stable

I will upgrade only if Vista is stable / or unless DX20 wont be released for XP

Yes windows 2K is now rock solid. It only took 4 service packs.

Windows XP still has some issues, I would not consider it "ROCK SOLID" but I have it on 3 of 5 computers.

I have a problem spending hundreds of dollars on a buggy new OS for some eye candy.

I know the company I work for will resist Vista untill they have no choice, which is when I will most likely give it a try. It's kind of hard to assist other users unless you have a copy of the OS installed.

Do you use your XP in the new mode or switch it to classic within a week B) Not to change the topic, just something to take note of.

yup quite true with the 2000/xp analogy

most of us wouldnt convert from 2000 to XP due to the very same reasons stated earlier

2000 is rock solid... i'm never gonna go to XP.....

give vista 1yr+ after release and 2 service packs and it will be rock stable

I will upgrade only if Vista is stable / or unless DX20 wont be released for XP

Two service packs? I wonder... NT 4 had 6 SPs, 2k had 4, XP has only had 2 (and is in desperate need of a third, given the number of security updates and hotfixes available). How many will Vista have, before Microsoft loses interest? And Microsoft - aren't they trying to change their business model to a subscription system? If so, it may be necessary to pay for updates in the future.

As for XP being rock stable, I wouldn't say so. While it has no stability problems I have seen (it shouldn't, considering that it is the successor to Windows 2000) it has a number of quirks that make it feel less finished than it should be, even after two service packs. Why else are there so many hotfixes available? An awful lot of components don't seem very robust, with Automatic Updates being a prime example. Vista will no doubt be worse, for the simple reason that it is more complicated, and larger.

As for DirectX, Microsoft has stated that it would not be backported. They may have a change in heart in this matter, as DirectX 10 being available only in the newest version of Windows will slow down its adoption a great deal, leaving authors to decide between compatibility with 2000/XP (and therefore with a large proportion of users) or access to the latest technology. At least in the beginning, before Vista becomes more widely adopted.

It appears that a lot of you feel the way I do; Microsoft wants to make more money. I was excited about Microsoft's next generation operating system until Microsoft starting removing some of the promised new innovations, now it looks like Vista is just window dressing to provide more profits instead of new technologies. :angry:

I have seen a few things about Vista that will be nice, when the hardware, software, and driver designers catch up.

First off: the DirectX 10 hardware level access to the video cards should provide a nice boost in performance, when DirectX 10 video cards become available. Win XP won't have this available, as it would take modifying the OS far too much to just 'patch' in.

Second: the protective aspect of Vista is something I have longed for, being a support tech. Yeah, those of us who are support techs have to click a billion extra times a day, but if the software makers will just stop trying to screw up Windows so much, it wouldn't be necessary. We have 12 apps where I work that must have administrative access to the machine in order to run, simply because it needs to me able to store the program settings in the program's folder or in the machine level registry. This is utterly stupid. I hate granting users administrative access, but there simply is no way around it until the application makers start making programs that store the settings in the user level registry or files in the user's profile. It's not hard. It's just lazyness on the part of program designers. Macromedia's latest suite requires it only for storing the activation information, which is better, but not totally solved. I still have to leave the users as administrators in order for them to use the app. Removing this problem will also reduce the installation of spyware/adware on users' machines as well.

Third: The requirement of certification of drivers will be an awesome thing to me. I am so sick of drivers that cause problems simply because the manufacturer refuses to update their drivers, or updates them and makes them worse. Creative and Canon will certainly have problems with this. I'd love to avoid using any Creative hardware, but trying to get a decent soundcard without it being made by Creative is near impossible. There are a few other manufacturers our there that need to put more effort into their drivers, as well, and Vista should force them to do so.

I'm not too fond of many of the things that MS put into Vista, but those 3 aspects alone will make it worthwhile for me.

It's slower, it's bulkier, and it's not near as pretty as Windows NT, but it does have significant advantages. I have actually like the improvement that MS has added to this windows line since Windows NT. I will likely buy Vista Ultimate on release day just for better security, even if it does take all my 2GB of memory to run it.

Oh, I forgot to mention:

Fourth: the better Update feature will be nice to have. It's a fully independant app instead of just another insecure web page.

While I wouldn't say I'm 'excited' about it, I am happy of some of the things MS is securing.

The only people who are excited about Vista are the hardware manufacturers. I'll have to replace several components on my home PC and get a new laptop.

Considering that the PC at work tend to be even worse than the one I got at home, I don't see how Microsoft expects the corporates to buy it. I guess the early adopters will be those who must have the latest and greatest and those buy new machines.

And the first thing I do is turn off all the search / indexing stinker, making Vista way happier.

Why do people have these apparent issues finding files on their computers anyway???

Also, I haven't read the entire thread yet, but last I heard DX10 is indeed Vista only. So gamers have to upgrade at some point, and perhaps sooner than later...

Oh, I forgot to mention:

Fourth: the better Update feature will be nice to have. It's a fully independant app instead of just another insecure web page.

Not sure about #2, but I do know #3 and #4 are something that could be implemented already in XP.

Still skeptical if #1 is just a way to force gamers to buy Vista...

Excited? Not realy.

Why? Simply because my job is to create AV Content. While most of the "high end" Applications already have Vista-ready Versions / Patches, the majority of the nifty Freeware/Shareware apps I use have major Problems with handeling the silly PVP-OPM and PUMA Components.

Apart from the proffessional hassels Vista would cause me, personaly I just do not trust Microsoft enough to give them more control over what I am allowed to do on my Computer and what I am not.

Actualy the whole "Trusted Computing" theme should be renamed to "Trust Soft- and Hardwaremanufacturers plus Contentproviders to know better then you"...no exactly my cup of tea...

So if I don't trust Microsoft, why should I entrust them with the Control over my digital work via DRM etc.

For me the simple solution is that 2000 and XP will be the last MS Operatingsystems in use unless the whole DRM (by whatever fancy name the marketing department may call the deprivation of power) is taken out.

Third: The requirement of certification of drivers will be an awesome thing to me. I am so sick of drivers that cause problems simply because the manufacturer refuses to update their drivers, or updates them and makes them worse. Creative and Canon will certainly have problems with this. I'd love to avoid using any Creative hardware, but trying to get a decent soundcard without it being made by Creative is near impossible. There are a few other manufacturers our there that need to put more effort into their drivers, as well, and Vista should force them to do so.

I'm sorry, but I really can't take this certification seriously. As far as I known, it is a continuation of the WHQL certification which has been in place for some time. WHQL guaranteed, at very best, that the said drivers were "genuine" and official. That they actually worked was another matter entirely. I wonder how much WHQL certification costs. I can't help but think that, quite apart from the DRM issues (the certification can also be used to prevent unauthorised drivers from grabbing an unencrypted audio or video stream) this won't have any effect on the end user, except that it will prevent anyone from using beta drivers, unless Microsoft signs them too, which would make the whole certification thing a complete farce.