0hi0

DC++ fileshareing server

Before I go on and tell you my problem, i have to say that filesharing is LEGAL. Now, on to the problem:

I want to make a DC++ home file server to free my desktop from this job.

Now I see high CPU usage when there are many connections (even when all of them run under 30kB/s).

The speed of the download/upload does not affect CPU load as much.

The new server should run 24/7 for sharing files through Direct Connect DC++ and Bit Torrent (down 40/upload 40 connections ~ at 15kB/s bandwith).

it should also be able to serve 5-6 files locally (100Mb/s).

Having a server i would add small PostGRE & Oracle databases, ftp & web daemons.

My Questions:

1) Biggest of them all: I thought this would be a multi user scenario. Is It?

2) Would SATAII NCQ/SAS improve network performance? I have never seen DC++ or torrents in multiuser scenarios, probably because it is hard to reproduce the same conditions several times. I just want an educated guess.

What about dual core/ dual cpu?

1. Yes.

2. NCQ - it's worth switching on. Dual-core - less improvement to fileserving performance, but if you're truly hitting 100% CPU at times, then it would help the performance of the machine in other tasks while filesharing/serving.

I am curious how you plan to add files to your queues on the server, since I was looking for a similar option in the past, but couldn't eve find anything allowing me to add files without having to remote desktop into the machine.

Now I see high CPU usage when there are many connections (even when all of them run under 30kB/s).

The speed of the download/upload does not affect CPU load as much.

you sure the high cpu load comes from your multiple torrent connections and not from a harddisk that is running in PIO mode instead of DMA? just my thoughts...

"i have to say that filesharing is LEGAL"

True but does not necessarily make it right.

I would not worry about dual core in that server rig. The bottlenecks will be bandwidth and networking not the cpu. Unless you will be playing the various files directly on the server, then it would be of benefit.