Sign in to follow this  
ace101

WD Reliability Issues?

I'm getting ready to buy two new hard drives, one for housing all my media, and one to back up the data in an external enclosure. I had my sights on the Cavier RE2 WD5000YS, but then I started reading that several people have had reliability problems with the WD 400 and 500 gig versions (over at newegg).

Is there a reliability problem with these drives or is it just that since they are selling fast, more DOAs are being reported? It just seems like a lot.

Guest 888
I'm getting ready to buy two new hard drives, one for housing all my media, and one to back up the data in an external enclosure. I had my sights on the Cavier RE2 WD5000YS, but then I started reading that several people have had reliability problems with the WD 400 and 500 gig versions (over at newegg).

Is there a reliability problem with these drives or is it just that since they are selling fast, more DOAs are being reported? It just seems like a lot.

From the inside-use data I have access to, there's also lower reliability ratings for WD4000 and WD5000 series than for in example WD3200 series (also some smaller capacity WD models like WD800 seem to be very reliable now, if to take into account the drives sold during last 1...1.5 years). But still, the situation with WD4000 and WD5000 does not seem anything critically bad. Just an average reliability ratings so far. Note: There may also be bigger error margin included in calculations for them because of these 400+gig series are relatively new and sold not so much yet.

I have a server with 6 x WD5000YS drives running RAID 5and I've had no problems to speak of. For reasons to complicated (and boring) to go into, I initially purchased 2 x WD5000YS drives last April; unfortunately, they were too old to update the firmware so I had to RMA them back to WD. I'm actually thinking of maxing out my 8-port RAID controller and buying 2 more drives. As I've had no problems, I'm hoping that this will be more than enough storage to get me through until The Next Great Thing comes along.