MasamuneXGP

Fan on my Areca RAID card is going bad

Hello all. About six months ago I purchased an Areca ARC1210 RAID card. It's been working beatifully, but recently the fan on the thing has been making a very unpleasent buzzing noise. The hardware moniter page shows the fan to be running between 2300 and 2200 RPM. This worries me, as I've heard the norm is 3000. That card was rather expensive, and the thought of the chip frying itself and possibly my data along with it is rather unsettling. What should I do? Can the fan be replaced? Where can I buy a replacement? The fan is easily removable so that's not a problem, but do I need to apply new thermal paste or anything?

Thanks

Yesterday I emailed Areca tech support and just now got the following response:

you can replace fan by a common graphic card cooling fan.

and because controller detece fan speed by the fan current, so please used a

fan with similar specification.

the fan specification is 12VDC, 0.08Amp, 0.96Watt.

...yeah. I've never changed out a graphics card fan before, so I have no idea what I'm looking for. Nor do I see a store that lists electrical specs. Can anyone help me with this?

Edited by MasamuneXGP

If you have sufficient free space below the controller, you can replace the HSF with a Zalman northbridge cooler.

Pic 1

Pic 2

I use this mod on an ARC-1120 and ARC-1160. The standard fan was running at 2770 rpm on my ARC-1120 (screenshot.

Hello all. About six months ago I purchased an Areca ARC1210 RAID card. It's been working beatifully, but recently the fan on the thing has been making a very unpleasent buzzing noise. The hardware moniter page shows the fan to be running between 2300 and 2200 RPM. This worries me, as I've heard the norm is 3000. That card was rather expensive, and the thought of the chip frying itself and possibly my data along with it is rather unsettling. What should I do? Can the fan be replaced? Where can I buy a replacement? The fan is easily removable so that's not a problem, but do I need to apply new thermal paste or anything?

Thanks

Yep - happened to my 1220 too - fan completly failed. I too got the exact same message from Areca Support. On advice on here I went the Zalman cooler route, cheap enough on ebay. Never been entirly happy though as I know my case has poor airflow - would prefer a decent replacement if i'm honest.

GC

unfortunately, I don't have that kind of space beneath the card. Is there no way to get my hands on a simple plain-jane replacement fan?

try to see if you can locate a Papst fan, they make the best fans you can get. Try getting one under 20 DB, they are lownoise..

Henrik

If you have sufficient free space below the controller, you can replace the HSF with a Zalman northbridge cooler.

Pic 1

Pic 2

I use this mod on an ARC-1120 and ARC-1160. The standard fan was running at 2770 rpm on my ARC-1120 (screenshot.

How do you keep it attached? From the pictures, it looks like only one side has a mounting screw hole.

try to see if you can locate a Papst fan, they make the best fans you can get. Try getting one under 20 DB, they are lownoise..

Henrik

Uh... yeah... I kinda assume not all fans will fit. What kind do I need? =\

Six months old screams of WARRANTY REPLACEMENT.

Get them to send you a replacement controller, if possible with the same firmware and BIOS, and then send yours back. If they don't want to do this, start complaining.

A 10 cent fan on a $1000 card. What idiots

Indeed. Haven't seen fans on the IBM ServeRAID controllers we sell.

I also had the problem of the fan going bad on my Areca 1220 Controller (i have several 1210, 1220).

I attach two pictures, so people can see the model number of the fan.

It says AD0412MB-G70 from Adda Corp, but you cannot simply order this model number!

If you look for the model number on the web or eBay, you will see a fan with 10mm height. But your Areca controller the fan is "flat", it´s mounted about 2 mm higher (because a little bit of plastic is removed on the bottom side) and also the screws from the top are 5mm lower than on the 10mm fan.

It wont fit, it will make everything higher so your controller may collide with the card in the next expansion slot.

In addition to that, you will see fans with this model number with 0.08A and with 0.11A.

I will try to look for the correct one and post a reply here if i found one

post-103220-0-71066900-1447074222_thumb.

post-103220-0-29634800-1447074226_thumb.

Edited by ZH45

Here´s the answer of the Areca support:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can replace fan by a tranditional graphic card cooling fan.
And because controller detect fan speed through power consumption of the fan, so please use a fan with similar specification.
Our fan specification is 12VDC, 0.08Amp, 0.96Watt. and the dimension is 40.0 x 40.0 x 10.0 mm.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It seems that it´s not possible to get the AD0412MB-G70 anymore that looks exactly the same.

So you need to go with the standard format 40x40x10mm and it fan will be a little bit higher on the cooler.

The price for the AD0412MB-G70 is 8 USD on ebay.