Sign in to follow this  
dlerium

RAID setup questions

I currently have 3x hard drives.. 74GB ADFD Raptor, Seagate 7200.9 250gb, Hitachi 7K250 160gb PATA..

I will throw out the 7K250 and make room for 2x 7200.10 320gbs, and I plan to RAID-0 them.

Now once I create the RAID array, my question is.... since my Raptor is my DEDICATED OS drive, I like to install Windows w/o any other drives plugged in other than the Raptor, so I usually disconnect my HDs. Plus I also never use SP2 slipstreamed so I havet o install regular XP then SP2, and we all know the 137gb problem, so I'm afraid it will screw up the RAID-0 drives.

Can I plug and unplug my 2x7200.10s with ease like that (not hot swap, but just power down, unplug, replug in) and the RAID array will still be intact? AFter all I don't want to screw anything up and lose the entire array.

Moreover, I still cant understand the basics of RAID... Hardware of software? I have an DFI NF4 Ultra-D which gives me onboard RAID. Intuition tells me that's hardware RAID because there is a controller doing the job, although it's definitely far from doing a good job. Is software just PURELY reliant on software to create a RAID array, meaning your IDE/SATA controllers don't even need to have RAID ability? Please explain. Thanks

You should be able to just unplug them and be on your way to installing a new OS. Just plug them back in when you're done. If needed reconifgure your array in the controller bios.

You should be able to just unplug them and be on your way to installing a new OS. Just plug them back in when you're done. If needed reconifgure your array in the controller bios.

Oh... well of course I'm concerned about losing my data. I'm a newb at this, so having never done it, I don't want to press the wrong button and it wipes the whole array clean....

Oh... well of course I'm concerned about losing my data. I'm a newb at this, so having never done it, I don't want to press the wrong button and it wipes the whole array clean....

In spite of all the previous posts on SR that RAID 0 will hardly do anything for you except increase your chance of data loss, if you're still determined to go down the RAID 0 path, then make a backup of your important data onto DVD or an external hard drive.

Also, you made it sound like you were creating the RAID 0 volume, so what data would there be to lose on the RAID 0 anyway?

Addendum:

Of course, I find it more than slightly ironic that you're expressing concern about losing your data, while discussing creating a RAID 0 volume for something besides temporary file storage (normally best used for video editing, Photoshop, or the like).