Sign in to follow this  
uart

I Need a low power SD/MMC flash memory card

I just bought a small portable mp3 player that comes with no built in memory but instead has a slot for an SD/mmc flash memory card. I bought a 512MB "Kingston" brand SD card to place in it and it works ok but the battery life is quite poor.

I then replaced the 512MB card with an older 256MB card from my camera (a kingmax brand sd card I bought a few years back) and surprisingly the battery life doubled. So it appears that the power consumption of the card is quite a major component of the overall power drain on this little player. This leads me to wonder if there are specs on power consumption for these things so I could work out what brand/model card to buy in the future so that it doesn't draw too much power when used in my mp3 player.

Any ideas?

I just bought a small portable mp3 player that comes with no built in memory but instead has a slot for an SD/mmc flash memory card. I bought a 512MB "Kingston" brand SD card to place in it and it works ok but the battery life is quite poor.

I then replaced the 512MB card with an older 256MB card from my camera (a kingmax brand sd card I bought a few years back) and surprisingly the battery life doubled. So it appears that the power consumption of the card is quite a major component of the overall power drain on this little player. This leads me to wonder if there are specs on power consumption for these things so I could work out what brand/model card to buy in the future so that it doesn't draw too much power when used in my mp3 player.

Any ideas?

There should be a spec for each standard, and manufacture should have those info on their website. Those standard are typically "worst case" consumption, so if you want to know which one consumes more/less, you really have to look up from manufacture.

IMO the smallest card from the latest design usually use smaller processes on the NAND and that consumes less power, but make sure you get the plain vanilla low performance model, and smaller size, so you are not getting 2 or 4 chips version. Oh, name brand usually have better power management firmware than generic, so they usually consume less power.