Sign in to follow this  
arge

Areca 1230 startup problem

I bought ARC-1230 card 2 months ago. It has worked with no problems until last week when I relocated my computer to another town. At that point I added 2 USB hubs and an USB mouse to mobo's connections.

Now if I restart my computer, it freezes in 2/3 startups even before windows logo comes. Mobo Bios goes fine, Areca Bios gets installed fine, but after that when the Windows logo should pop up, my computer freezes.

If I boot it up again and do get windows logo to appear, everything works like a charm. But as I'm using the computer remotely I really cannot let computer to restart itself after software update or such, as it might not come up again.

Has anyone else experienced the same? Any suggestions? I need those USB devices, I believe it's because of them, as I haven't added anything else to the computer afterwards. I cannot check firmware/bios version of my card as I don't have it's ethernet port connected or windows software available, and I remotely cannot see the post startup messages. But if there's another way to check versions from windows I would be happy to hear that.

Thanks,

Arge

First thing to do is attempt the reboot process without the USB hardware attached.

I have had enough problems with machines failing due to loose hardware.

Second question, are the USB hubs externally powered? I have had some problems

getting machines to boot when bus powered devices are attached.

First thing to do is attempt the reboot process without the USB hardware attached.

I have had enough problems with machines failing due to loose hardware.

Second question, are the USB hubs externally powered? I have had some problems

getting machines to boot when bus powered devices are attached.

I'm pretty sure it's USB related problem. Hubs are bus powered.

I also contacted the Areca support. They suggested it would be IRQ related and I should disable usb detection or usb support on dos from my computer's bios. Sounds resonable.

Will give it all a try in a week.