beantowna

Raid hype?

So I am replacing my hard drive on my computer: An AM2 with the C51 Foxconn board. 2GB memory at 800 Mhz.

I use the computer for two reasons: gaming and music. I play mostly CS and WC3. I record my own music and I also rip my cd's to mp3 to use on my player. My initial decision was to get two drives. One for booting/OS/apps, and the other for mp3/pictures/etc. I felt like I had made the right decision in going with two drives with out any RAID config, but my friend was bent on telling me that I would be better of with some sort of raid, for both gaming speed and storage redundancy.

I figure games only need a quick HD when initially loading maps and such that won't affect actual gametime play. And if I back up my storage HD with my external, I won't have much of a need for RAID there either.

Also, the MB is nvidia 590 SLI chipset that has a raid 5 option, minimum 3 HD. I don't think using RAID will help me out much in either performance or reliability, especially when considering added heat and cost, am I wrong?

Well, a 'real' RAID (anything but RAID-0,) does help with reliability. A RAID-0 or RAID-5 will make a small improvement in random seeks, and a large improvement in large transfers.

To sum up: You won't notice it AT ALL in audio apps, and in games, you might go from a map taking 10 seconds to load to taking 7 seconds. Is 3 seconds worth the extra cost to you? (RAID will *NOT* make a difference in frames per second. Period.)

Just remember, 'backing up' and RAID are two different solutions. One (RAID) is to help cut down on downtime due to hardware failure. The other (backing up) is to protect yourself against malicious software (virus or other that deletes your data,) or stupid user tricks (accidentally delete a file you meant to keep.) If you desire both 'maximum uptime' and 'data security', you want both RAID and backing up. But for a game/music computer, RAID is, indeed, probably overkill; as long as you have a decent backup strategy for your important data.

My initial decision was to get two drives. One for booting/OS/apps, and the other for mp3/pictures/etc. I felt like I had made the right decision in going with two drives with out any RAID config, but my friend was bent on telling me that I would be better of with some sort of raid, for both gaming speed and storage redundancy.

Yes, you made the right choice.