FriedSpam

New System RAID 5/6 CARD help

Ok, I've learned my lessons over the years (and lots of good polite criticism from this forum when I've done something wrong)...

Don't use RAID 0, Dont' put a Sub Woofer next to your PC Case, Backup EVERYTHING that you value...

So I'm putting together a new system and am looking into RAID 5 (or possibly 6) to keep my data safe. I'm also looking at buying a good UPS

For the RAID, I'm looking at Areca 1220 with three WD 500GB RE2 drives initially, with a look at expanding later on.... Would this be a good combo?

I'd like a Areca 1230 but as it's over twice the price, I can't really justify it. Are there any significant differences (other than the extra ports and the expandable memory) that I have overlooked that I could use to try and persuade myself that it's worth the extra expense?

As well as this, I'm looking at getting a 720GB Seagate Barracuda (s300) to use a system disk. Is this wise? -or shall I just get another WD, stick it in the array and use the array for everything instead?

I'm also thinking of using an old 320GB Pata disk as the temp/virtual memory disk. Will this introduce unneccesarry bottlenecks?

Ok, I've learned my lessons over the years (and lots of good polite criticism from this forum when I've done something wrong)...

Don't use RAID 0, Dont' put a Sub Woofer next to your PC Case, Backup EVERYTHING that you value...

So I'm putting together a new system and am looking into RAID 5 (or possibly 6) to keep my data safe. I'm also looking at buying a good UPS

For the RAID, I'm looking at Areca 1220 with three WD 500GB RE2 drives initially, with a look at expanding later on.... Would this be a good combo?

I'd like a Areca 1230 but as it's over twice the price, I can't really justify it. Are there any significant differences (other than the extra ports and the expandable memory) that I have overlooked that I could use to try and persuade myself that it's worth the extra expense?

As well as this, I'm looking at getting a 720GB Seagate Barracuda (s300) to use a system disk. Is this wise? -or shall I just get another WD, stick it in the array and use the array for everything instead?

I'm also thinking of using an old 320GB Pata disk as the temp/virtual memory disk. Will this introduce unneccesarry bottlenecks?

No.

For the system disk go with a RAID1 in SW or HW.

For RAID5, SW/HW, your choice, make sure you get drives with 5yr warranties, the RE/RE2 have them and all seagates have them.

Justin.

The performance of the ARC-1220 (new version with 256MB cache) and the ARC-1230 is identical.

For a homeserver, I think there's no point in spending two disks on a RAID 1 boot array. Just put everything on one array or create multiple RAID volume sets on a single RAID set.

The write-back cache of the ARC-1230 will handle pagefile writes very well. You don't really need a dedicated disk for this. Use the 320GB PATA drive for secondary backup storage, so you have better protection against failure of the RAID array.

The mobo I've ordered is the Asus P5w DH Deluxe which does have onboard RAID.

Shall I just get two WD 500GB RE2 drives for the system and put them in RAID 1 then? And shall I use the onboard controller (instead of software RAID)?

I probably don't need 500GB space for the system disk but I do want the performance. However, I find Raptors slightly over priced for what they are and I'm trying to go as silent as possible (so that rules them out).

Are there any other (Cheaper) disks that are silent with better performance that might suit my needs?

Oh, and is there anywhere (in the UK) where I could get a bulk discount on 5 x 500GB WD RE2 harddrives then?

-or would I be able to just buy 4, put two on the mobo in RAID 1 for system, put two on the Areca in RAID 1 for storage and switch to RAID 5 or 6 when I need to expand by just adding further volumes?

Thanks FemmeT. You must have posted whilst I was composing my reply...

So I have ordered the Areca 1220 and will just have a RAID 6 array on that to boot from.

I have about 5 old PATA drives (250GB - 320GB) and it looks like I can use at least 4 of them on the Mobo, so if I can, could I use two of them in RAID 1 and boot from that? Or should I just use them for storage?

Basically I will have a RAID 5 SATA array on the Areca. I've also got spare PATA drives I can add to the board. I'm looking for as much performance for the system as possible without sacrificing security of the data...

Anyone?

-So I'm getting 3x RE2 500GB drives in RAID5 on the ARC for storage.

Where should I put my system? -I'm trying to go for maximum performance here, with redundancy for data security...

[...snip...]

For a homeserver, I think there's no point in spending two disks on a RAID 1 boot array. Just put everything on one array or create multiple RAID volume sets on a single RAID set.

[...snip...

I suppose it depends on what kind of value the user places on his time.

Personally, I would also recommend RAID 1 for the system volume, because I'd rather not spend all the time to reinstall Windows, then reinstall all security patches/updates, and then reinstall ALL MY OTHER SOFTWARE (games, productivity, etc), which would be necessary for the software to work again if the system volume died because of all the information contained in the registry.

Of course, another option that might even be slightly superior would be to have an up-to-date bootable copy of the system disk (created using Arconis TrueImage or Norton Ghost) so that in the event of the system hard drive failing, I could just boot from the copy, and then replace the failed drive and reimage the new replacement at my leisure, rather than being forced into it immediately by necessity if I want to keep using my computer.

Edited by Trinary

This is going to be my main system, HTPC, gaming (a bit), a store for all my ripped music and DVDs....

As I'm using it as my main comp, it might be worth have RAID1 system.

So is 2x 150GB Raptors in RAID 1 on the mobo controller for system, pagefile, programs, desktop, etc.

4x 500GB WD RE2 in RAID 6 on the Areca for storage.

Old PATA drive, additional backup.

a good setup to have for good performance and data security?

I would always get a separate system disk from the data storage. Even if your RAID-5 controller is very fast, a RAID-5 array is not well suited to host a pagefile, for example. Also, having a separate boot disk will make installing and recovering Windows (I assume that is what you will be running) easier, since you most likely will not need to load special drivers in order to access the boot disk.