shompa

Should I stripe or have single disks?

Hello all.

I will get my new MacPro 13 september.

I am thinking about the disk configuration.

Use the computer for large Itunes database (50K+ tunes), Final Cut pro, Torrents, NNTP news, converting video.

Most of these tasks take a lot of IO. To minimize that, it will have 5 gig memory (at least)

Should I stripe 3 seagate 750gig drives?

Or should i have separate drives?

One for NNTP, One for video, on for ITunes?

I usullay run NNTP/Torrents 24/7

TIA

I also do a lot of Unrar-par stuff on the disks.

Usually download 70gig data, everyday. Need to parcheck and unrar it. I can have over 1000 I/O second. The IO takes 35-40% of the CPU cykles on my old G5.

Also burning DVD-R at 8-16 speed.

From the same disk filesystem?

The macpro has 4 internal Harddrive bays

+ 2 SATA ports that you can use for external SATA.

2 IDE. One for DVD-R and one more idehard drive.

2 Firewire 400 2 Firewire 800.

(My old Powermac G5 had 7 internal disks. (a G5 jam, that is 2 more disks in the PCI bay) and Drive Brackets 3 more drives in the bottom of the computer)

I'd go with one fast drive for the system and applications (Maybe even go for a 150 GB Raptor,) and, if you will actually fill up 750 GB, two 750 GB drives in a striped RAID-0 for the 'unimportant' data. (Never store anything on a RAID-0 that you would be pissed off about if you lost it, unless you back it up regularly.) If you can afford it, go for a third 750 GB drive to back up the boot drive, and the stuff on the RAID-0 that you actually care about.

And if you REALLY want to get adventurous, get four 750 GB drives, plus a Raptor. Put the Raptor in the second optical drive bay, and run a cable from one of the spare SATA ports on the motherboard to it, and make that the boot drive. Then do a RAID 10 on the four 750 GB drives.

I'd go with one fast drive for the system and applications (Maybe even go for a 150 GB Raptor,) and, if you will actually fill up 750 GB, two 750 GB drives in a striped RAID-0 for the 'unimportant' data. (Never store anything on a RAID-0 that you would be pissed off about if you lost it, unless you back it up regularly.) If you can afford it, go for a third 750 GB drive to back up the boot drive, and the stuff on the RAID-0 that you actually care about.

And if you REALLY want to get adventurous, get four 750 GB drives, plus a Raptor. Put the Raptor in the second optical drive bay, and run a cable from one of the spare SATA ports on the motherboard to it, and make that the boot drive. Then do a RAID 10 on the four 750 GB drives.

Thanks.

A great Idea.

I have a 150 gig raptor from my old G5.

Will use the extra SATA for it. :)

Darn.. Boot Raptor

and a 750x4 stripe :)

Would Final Cut Pro benefit from separate source and destination drives? I guess you could always try using the Raptor as destination, then copy the completed file back to the array when you're done, if that works out quicker.