bgetchel

Where to get Seagate 15k.4 FIRMWARE?

26 posts in this topic

I bought a bunch of new Seagate ST3146854LW -- 146GB 15k.4 68-pin SCSI -- drives from a liquidator for a song (well, compared to the best on-line prices anyway). They're brand new Dell OEMs with the typical Seagate label on them, all still sealed in their static bags.

Anyway, I bought them knowing that they were labeled as being U160 drives even though no such thing exists on Seagate's web site. If you punch up the ST3146854LW you won't see a mention of U160 anywhere -- they're all U320. I was told by the liquidator that they were special-ordered by Dell for overseas sale as U160's though they're U320's in reality -- Seagate just changed the FIRMWARE to report and operate as U160. I talked to our Dell rep here in CT and he finally got to one of their Ubertechs who confirmed that, indeed, it is only a FIRMWARE limitation and the drives can be flashed with the latest Seagate ST3146854LW/LC firmware to remove the U160 limitation.

However...

Naturally, I have SeaTools Enterprise, so flashing the drives is not a problem -- especially since I have 28 of them (I have 60 total) hooked up to one server in JBOD in two Dell PowerVault 220S DAS arrays just for this purpose. Unfortunately Seagate won't give me the time of day (or the Firmware) because they are Dell OEM drives and I can't give them a Seagate-original part number for this particular drive that needs updating. Also, Dell won't give me their firmware either for this drive as they insist they don't have updated firmware for the 146GB 15k.4 Seagates (they stop at 15k.3 73GB) -- only for the 15k.2 Maxtors in 147GB do they have firmware.

So, I'm making an appeal here. I've Googled the earth and Usenet looking for Seagate Firmware for these drives but can't find any joy. If anyone here has a clue as to where I can get recent Seagate 15k.4 146G Firmware (Version 0003 or later) please, Please, PLEASE reply or email me (if you prefer to keep it private, which I can understand) with either the firmware itself or a link/way to get it.

Thanks a bunch.

Brendan Getchel

Email: bgetchel [at] gmail [dot] com --or-- brendan [at] corbusys [dot] com

BTW, I have 40 LC and 20 LW drives, so I don't know if there's a firmware difference, but I'll take help for either or both -- of course :D

BTW, I have 40 LC and 20 LW drives, so I don't know if there's a firmware difference, but I'll take help for either or both -- of course :D

I will see if I can find a copy of it for you but you didn't get it from me ok.

I will see if I can find a copy of it for you but you didn't get it from me ok.

Didn't get what from who? ;)

Edited by bgetchel

Anyway, I bought them knowing that they were labeled as being U160 drives even though no such thing exists on Seagate's web site. If you punch up the ST3146854LW you won't see a mention of U160 anywhere -- they're all U320. I was told by the liquidator that they were special-ordered by Dell for overseas sale as U160's though they're U320's in reality -- Seagate just changed the FIRMWARE to report and operate as U160. I talked to our Dell rep here in CT and he finally got to one of their Ubertechs who confirmed that, indeed, it is only a FIRMWARE limitation and the drives can be flashed with the latest Seagate ST3146854LW/LC firmware to remove the U160 limitation.

Brendan Getchel

Seagate is notorious for building dual interface OEM drives for the same model.

A couple of yeas ago we purchased 4 ST3146707LC OEM drives rated as U160. I reached the the same conclusion that the U160 limitation is at the firmware level, and proceeded to flash one drive with a U320 Seagate generic firmware. The firmware completed without incident, and during re-boot, the drive continuously timed out during HBA interrogation.

We were never able to initiate the drive.

Based on what little information is available, these drives were a special request from OEM’s, used as replacement drives for legacy U160 systems.

I believe the U160 restriction is not at the firmware level, but the controller board, and flashing a U320 firmware renders the drive useless.

It may not be the case with your drives. Unfortunately the only way to test this theory is to actually flash a U320 firmware on one of the drives. If successful, you would proceed with the other drives, if not, you now have a nice paperweight.

My drives are rated at U320 but I would rather get the Dell firmware off of it. They are still under warrenty so if it does screw up, Dell is going to get something to RMA. hehe :)

My drives are rated at U320 but I would rather get the Dell firmware off of it. They are still under warrenty so if it does screw up, Dell is going to get something to RMA. hehe :)

If you are unsuccessful in obtaining a generic U320 firmware from Dell or Seagate, you may want to ask a SCSI Guru, that you may know, the actual SCSI mode page setting that governs U160/U320 interface.

SCSI Toolbox Software allows you to ferret through all the mode pages stored on SCSI firmware; in addition the software provides diagnostic, and benchmark tools.

For individual use, the software is expensive, targeted mainly for large corporate use, harddrive labs, or used by some Mfg. during field diagnostic use. You can request a 14 day, fully functional, demo via the website.

If you can determine the mode page setting restriction for U160 interface, usually located in Operating Definition Page, you can change the drive’s definition to interface to SCSI-3 or SCSI-4 protocol; U320 depending on the Mfg.

The software, I believe, allows you to make the mode page change temporary, for testing purpose, without immediately hardcoding the change into the drive’s firmware:

Locate the definition page setting, and change the mode page parameter, and use the temporary change option; as a sensible precaution.

Re-boot, without powering down the drive, test for U320 functionality, if satisfied you can access the same mode page again, and make the change permanent.

If the mode page change did not work, usually the HBA controller is unable to interrogate the drive, or the drive times-out, then power down the drive, during the next boot-up cycle any temporary mode page change are reset back to the drive’s original firmware parameters.

Again, you should have extensive knowledge of SCSI internal commands, or contact a SCSI Guru if you know one; to make sure the correct SCSI mode page setting is accessed.

This software is targeted for seasoned SCSI experts; no safety nets are in place, except for the temporary option.

There is one caveat: some OEM firmwares are compiled to disallow high level mode page changes, even with the referenced software: IBM is one of them.

Good Luck

JR

I believe the U160 restriction is not at the firmware level, but the controller board, and flashing a U320 firmware renders the drive useless.

It may not be the case with your drives. Unfortunately the only way to test this theory is to actually flash a U320 firmware on one of the drives. If successful, you would proceed with the other drives, if not, you now have a nice paperweight.

Hey Chip,

You were dead-on here. I received the latest Seagate 15k.4 firmware -- v.0005 -- (with proper thanks, BTW) and tried to flash one of the ST3146854LW drives using SeaTools Enterprise. Unfortunately it didn't work. But FORTUNATELY we didn't experience the problem you did. The flash attempt(s) simply failed and no harm came to the drive.

SeaTools simply says "Upgrade failed. Please contact your support representative" and gives the following in the logfile:

==========

22-Aug-2006 13:27:42 Port:1 Target:0 Lun:0 Downloading - DO NOT INTERRUPT!

22-Aug-2006 13:27:43 Port:1 Target:0 Lun:0 Download Failed 05 / 26 / FFFFFF99 FRU Code 02

22-Aug-2006 13:27:48 Port:1 Target:0 Lun:0 Target FAILED

PostDownload Inquiry and Mode Pages:

Vendor: SEAGATE , Product: ST3146854LW , Version: 6401

PostDownload Mode Page Settings :

01 0A C0 0B FF 00 00 00 05 00 FF FF

02 0E 80 80 00 0A 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

03 16 56 20 00 00 00 30 00 00 02 C2 02 00 00 01 00 DC 00 AA 40 00 00 00

04 16 00 C6 88 08 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 3A A7 00 00

07 0A 00 0B FF 00 00 00 00 00 FF FF

08 12 14 00 FF FF 00 00 FF FF FF FF 00 10 00 00 00 00 00 00

0A 0A 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 08 4D

19 06 01 00 FF FF 00 00

1A 0A 00 02 00 00 00 05 00 00 00 04

1C 0A 11 06 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 01

00 06 80 00 0F 00 00 00

==========

As you can see, the FW revision for this OEM drive is "6401" which is considerably different then their standard "0005" number arrangement.

I guess we'll just have to live with it. I can't for the life of me figure out WHY any OEM would request a dumbed-down forced U160 controller of a U320 drive when U320 is fully backward-compatible with U160.

Sounds retarded.

Brendan

I have a similar problem. My HP OEM ST336754LC is Ultra320, but it is only 18GB. SeaTool recognizes that the maximum disk space on the drive is 36GB. Although I changed the drive setting in SeaTool to use the full 36GB, it is still detected by my SCSI card as a 18GB drive. I think the HP firmware limits the drive to be 18GB. I would appreciate if anyone could email me a regular Seagate firmware for me to try. It just kills me that I can only use it as 18GB while I know it is a 36GB drive.

One more question. Can I try any 15K.4 firmwware or does it have to be ST336754LC firmware?

I've got pretty much the same problem and would appreciate any help! Years ago I bought one ST336752LW to build my high end computer. The computer ROCKED for a good year and kept up well for a couple. I decided to build a computer for my son (he's 5, almost 6) and of course build a Core 2 for me :D

I bought another ST336752LW to run a raid 0 in my Core 2 off of eBay, but it's and HP branded drive. It has HP's HPA3 firmware and I want to try flashing it to the Seagate's firmware. I believe the latest firmware for these drives was 0004, which is what my other drive has. I also believe it is also a U320 downgraded to U160, because the U320's came out very shortly after I bought my first drive. It hasn't mattered before because my SCSI card was a U160, but my new RAID card is a U320, so it would be nice to have.

Thanks ahead for any help and information you can give!

No worries! After a little bit of creative reality I was able to convince Seagate's Technical Support to email me the 0004 firmware. I just told them that I had the 0003 firmware and that I was having some problems with it being recognized by my RAID card. Luckily one of my drives is an "actual" Seagate, because they asked for part number (which is different for OEM and Vendor) AND the serial number. I almost lost it when I didn't have the drive sitting out and he started trying to troubleshoot my problem.

He warned me that "if" I put this on a non-OEM drive that I WOULD permanently break the drive!!!!!!

Good thing that I don't listen! I did try the firmware from HP, but that wouldn't even load. I think it was because it appeared to actually be Compaq firmware (3C03). I loaded it on my Seagate first and then went to load it on my HP and it went on with no problems.

I did a full Seatools drive test with no errors, turned off the S.M.A.R.T. and am currently using it in my RAID with no problems. So to that I say good luck with all!

"Sulli"

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but wondering if there is a kind soul here who can help me, too.

I have a couple of HP branded drives, all allegedly 9gb (short stroke restricted?) by HP firmware, and would like to replace with Seagate firmware to realisethe true capacity. Drivs are 15K.5 Cheetahs:

ST336754LC (36gb) - wide-ultra320 accoridng to HP

ST373207LC (73GB!!! FFS!) - only wide-ultra3, U160, according to HP

Anyone have the latest 15.4 firmware for these?

Many thanks

Um... You say "Drivs are 15K.5 Cheetahs:" but then ask for 15k.4 firmware... Why? Second, no one would limit a 15K.5 (which has a MINIMUM capacity of 73GB) to 9GB - that's just crazy. I'm 99% certain you have gotten confused in the model numbers somewhere along the line.

I dont think so... I'm going by the model numbers on the disk and from HP/Compaq

According to everywhere, these are 15k.4 drives, the .5 must have been my typo.

OEMs would limit drive capacity - they have an obligation to replace units still under warranty. Now no one makes 9gb drives anymore, so the only way to replace a 9gb drive is to short-stoke a larger capacity drive via firmware. And, hopefully, ensure performance is consistent - i.e. downgraded - to that of any other 9gb drives the customer may be using (in an array for example).

the performance question refered to above is of course speculation on my part, it may be that HP, Dell etc dont see that as an issue - they'd rather a customer bought new drives. I'll stick a disk in and measure basic performance at some stage.

@fedor - we come across each other elsewhere? 2cpu maybe? I'm alewis or alewisa on a few boards.

Anyway, can anyone help with firmware? I'd like to restore these back to full capacity.

Um... You say "Drivs are 15K.5 Cheetahs:" but then ask for 15k.4 firmware... Why? Second, no one would limit a 15K.5 (which has a MINIMUM capacity of 73GB) to 9GB - that's just crazy. I'm 99% certain you have gotten confused in the model numbers somewhere along the line.

I dont think so... I'm going by the model numbers on the disk and from HP/Compaq

According to everywhere, these are 15k.4 drives, the .5 must have been my typo.

OEMs would limit drive capacity - they have an obligation to replace units still under warranty. Now no one makes 9gb drives anymore, so the only way to replace a 9gb drive is to short-stoke a larger capacity drive via firmware. And, hopefully, ensure performance is consistent - i.e. downgraded - to that of any other 9gb drives the customer may be using (in an array for example).

the performance question refered to above is of course speculation on my part, it may be that HP, Dell etc dont see that as an issue - they'd rather a customer bought new drives. I'll stick a disk in and measure basic performance at some stage.

@fedor - we come across each other elsewhere? 2cpu maybe? I'm alewis or alewisa on a few boards.

Anyway, can anyone help with firmware? I'd like to restore these back to full capacity.

Yeah the model numbers are right as you say. I didn't realise they crippled drives THAT bad - I figured a faster drive in an array was ok, like it would just be waiting for the others etc, so such legacy support wouldn't be needed, but then again I'm not expert on old enterprise computing.

You've once again resurrected an old thread but I'm grateful because in fact now *I* want Seagate ST336754LC firmware myself. I've got an HP one, U320 and whatnot, but I'd like to flash it regardless. I tried searching high and low on the web for even a photo of that particular model so I could give a valid serial to tech support, but no joy, even on google image search :P

As for running into me, perhaps 2cpu, although I've only participated there on the PERC5 mobo compatibility forum since the Intel chipset mobos are quite a fiasco when it comes to working with that card.

Yeah the model numbers are right as you say. I didn't realise they crippled drives THAT bad - I figured a faster drive in an array was ok, like it would just be waiting for the others etc, so such legacy support wouldn't be needed, but then again I'm not expert on old enterprise computing.

You've once again resurrected an old thread but I'm grateful because in fact now *I* want Seagate ST336754LC firmware myself. I've got an HP one, U320 and whatnot, but I'd like to flash it regardless. I tried searching high and low on the web for even a photo of that particular model so I could give a valid serial to tech support, but no joy, even on google image search :P

As for running into me, perhaps 2cpu, although I've only participated there on the PERC5 mobo compatibility forum since the Intel chipset mobos are quite a fiasco when it comes to working with that card.

Quite probably 2cpu then :-) been on a PERC related thread or two, I reflash mine back to LSI MegaRAIDs, and its to hook up two of these "9gb" drives as 36GB on my 2895 that I'm searching.

Lol, you got the same drive as me - all three are HP branded. I'll see if I can find a serial, share, then if one of us manages to get firmware :-) Its annoying, I got 4 x 336607LCs to go back under warranty.. shame I cant use one of them. Actually, I might just try to get a firmware "just in case".

ST336754LC (36gb) - 15.4 firmware

ST373207LC (73gb) - 10.7 (I think) firmware

Hey, here is new noob asking dumb queations that have nothing to do with what was previously being discussed..but anyway :D .I have 2 dells 15k.5s off ebay and i want two more for raiding, but i cant find 2 more dell ones!!So i was wondering if any1 had a clue where i can get seagate firmware...I havent actually had a look at the internet for pictures, so ill try that as well wat a nice idea.

Hey, here is new noob asking dumb queations that have nothing to do with what was previously being discussed..but anyway :D .I have 2 dells 15k.5s off ebay and i want two more for raiding, but i cant find 2 more dell ones!!So i was wondering if any1 had a clue where i can get seagate firmware...I havent actually had a look at the internet for pictures, so ill try that as well wat a nice idea.

That should be pretty easy as they are newer drives. On top of google image search, don't forget to search ebay!

Right, have got Dell firmware for our drives... the disk is bootable, but not visible under Windows (ok, so I've not prodded it under Linux yet). Booting on a bar system with an Adaptec and an LSI MegaRAID320-1, the firmware patcher errors out with "not a recognised Dell system".

I've got a 2900III to build for a client in the next week or so, will stick a controller and drive in that and try again. Even Dell f/w would suffice, if it returned the full 36gb drive :-)

Hopefully its just looking at a BIOS string, not a HBA bios string... otherwise it means flashing the LSI back to Dell f/w, or has anyone a Dell flavoured bios for an adaptec 29160? Can risk one of them for a swisskit ;-)

Didn't work... but not due to firmware issues.

I took a MegaRAID with me, c/w with Dell PERC firmware"just in case"... and the system refused to boot. Its got 4GB up its bottom, so I guess the RAID card couldn't initialise the romspace. And there are very very few options in the 2900 setup to configuer add-ins... well, not in the limited time I had on someone else's hardware!

I'll probably get another shot in the near future, the server needs moving once the extension is finished.

Anyone know the disk file system Dell / Compaq use on the firmware CDs? Its not visible under Windows, wondering if its a Linux variety of some description. Maybe we could browse the disk and extract the relevant files that way...

Dang, wish some of the earlier posters were still about!

You could try

Part no 9X6006-003

ser no 3KQ028zv

lot A-01-0543-7

Found via ebay

Checked out the warranty on seagate, its a valid drive and warranty until May 24 2010. I'm trying to purchase the drives :-)

Any idea if the 15.3 firmware would work? it should, as it is just a revision, as I can get a 36gb ST336753LC drive for about a tenner apiece.

Update.

I bought a 36GB 15K Cheetah, ST336753LC.. the firmware is marked DX03.. any ideas as to the significance in numbering scheme from the 000x format?

I will try to get 04 firmware, and post back here...