Sign in to follow this  
Hobbes2oo

SCSI Controller

I am looking into a RAID 0 setup on a M2N32-SLI Deluxe/Wireless Edition MB w/ 2 Cheetah 15k.4 73GB HD's. What would be a good controller (64 bit, PCI-X Pref.) to use that will not break the bank, ie less than $400. These will be used for the OS and games, I plan on a 150GB for backup so that area is covered

The 64 bit part is the easy part, but finding the right 64 bit controller in a sea of expensive parts is quite a daunting task.

Just what vendor were you thinking of?

I am looking into a RAID 0 setup on a M2N32-SLI Deluxe/Wireless Edition MB w/ 2 Cheetah 15k.4 73GB HD's. What would be a good controller (64 bit, PCI-X Pref.) to use that will not break the bank, ie less than $400. These will be used for the OS and games, I plan on a 150GB for backup so that area is covered

A complete waste of money considering that 400 USD will purchase a lot more spindles which can be hung out that boards half dozen SATA ports.

Here in the UK, A 73 gig Raptor 150 is less than half the price of a 73 gig 15k4.

4 x 73 gig Raptor 150s will generate a tad more STR than two 15k4s.

Dedicating a spindle per targeted application is a lot less dangerous than running anything raid zero.

Multiple Raptor 150s of varying sizes would provide dedicated spindles for OS, Applications & Page/Temp files.

How many times do people have to be told that Raid 0 is utterly pointless for average SoHo use.

greg

the m2n32-sli got no 64bit pci or pci-x slots? only the WSpro has...

besides why would you want to buy a new pcix controller? you already own the scsi drives? if not go for a sas controller with pci-e interface.

if yes, check ebay for controllers... theres a lot of good controllers (used) for low budget.