Sign in to follow this  
Inimbrium

Old skool RAM compatibility

Hi

I have a single sided PC133 DIMM of 128MB, CL3 I think, unbuffered, and I want to upgrade a PC with a motherboard with 2 memory slots. I was thinking of buying a 256MB PC133 DIMM (probably double sided), CL3, unbuffered also. Will it work with the 128MB together for a total of 384MB ram?? Will it be compatible?

Any ideas? It's an older PC and I haven't messed with memory comfigurations in a while. :blink:

Thanks in advance. B)

I see that a few people have read this topic,yet no replies. I've done a search on Google and it doesnt come up with anything useful. Just shops trying to sell their wares.

I'm in need here. :(

Any help will be welcome.

Thanks.

I have used different sized PC133 memory in different slots in a couple of systems successfully, though in Intel systems; have no experience at all with AMD. I used to use a 256MB card and a 128MB card in my old P3 system and my Mum's old clunker that I built for her out of spare parts has a 128MB and a 64MB stick in it with no problems (except that it's an old clunker!).

Mat

I used both 8 and 16 chip 256 MB PC133 on KT133(A) boards. I guess it'll work with this board as well. Typically if a board support X type of RAM, it should support all RAM of that type, like all PC133 up to the size the chipset can see. Anything smaller within a supported spec should work. Problem with newer RAM on older boards is that it may or may not work correctly. i440BX could use double sided PC133 256 MB (16 chips) but not single sided (8 chips). I had sticks of 256 MB PC133 Kingston, same model but one single and other double sided. On a BX board the single sided DIMM would be seen as only 128 MB.

But you should be fine.