stefanpi

Another drive failed today

My Maxtor DM9 200GB pata failed today and i only lost my whole 125GB music collection :angry: . RMA through Maxtors website was rather easy but their packaging guidelines are rather heavy, at least i get a new drive.

So since 2002 i lost 6 drives and none before that.

Lost drives:

-------------

1. IBM Deathstar 75GXP 30GB (failed in 4 months)

2. IBM Deathstar 75GXP 30GB (failed in 2 months)

3. IBM Deathstar 40GV 20GB (failed in 1.5 years)

4. Seagate 7200.7 120GB (failed before 1 month)

5. Maxtor DM9 200GB (failed after almost exactly 2 years)

6. Maxtor DX740X 80GB (failed after 5 years)

Still in use:

-------------

1. Maxtor DM9 80GB, in use for 4 years

2. Samsung 250GB, in use for a year

3. Western Digital Caviar 200GB, in use for 1 month

So should i sell my maxtor warranty replacement when it arrives and buy a?

You should invest in sensible backup and archiving equipment.

EXACTLY. If you value your data and don't have a backup setup then you're asking to get screwed. The easiest method is probably RAID 1 although it's only a good first step if you truly want to be safe.

Removable media is the way to go, as stefanpi has already found out the hard way that hard drives die. Make backups to tape (rotate 3 or 4 of these, with 1 or 2 stored offsite), then (IMO) make long term storage (archiving) to magneto-optical (MO) storage (drives & media).

I was in a bit of luck: the maxtor drive was originally in my gf comp but i swapped it to my own about a month ago. If the drive had failed when in her comp all hell would have broke loose. I backed up mine and my gf's comp to dvd media and will do this on a regular basis from now. 8x dvd's take only about 5 mins to burn and they should at least last for a year.

You should invest in sensible backup and archiving equipment.

EXACTLY. If you value your data and don't have a backup setup then you're asking to get screwed. The easiest method is probably RAID 1 although it's only a good first step if you truly want to be safe.

RAID should never be viewed as a source for backup. The main purpose is data integrity and recovery time so you can rebuild and you're still running. That is why servers use RAID. You need to be up and running in the event of a crash.

Real backup is defined by removable media. You can RAID all you want, but you need to make sure you have everything written to CDs and DVDs in the end.