davidedney123

MegaRAID and tape drives

Hi

I am currently running an Adaptec 39320A-R that happily runs my two SCSI harddisks (not in RAID) and a DAT72 drive on the 2nd channel. I'm thinking about getting an LSI Logic MegaRAID 320-2E for PCI-E, but I was wondering if anyone could confirm for me that non harddisk devices will work on this, and also that it will be happy running the drives non-RAID. Thanks all!

Dave

Hi

I am currently running an Adaptec 39320A-R that happily runs my two SCSI harddisks (not in RAID) and a DAT72 drive on the 2nd channel. I'm thinking about getting an LSI Logic MegaRAID 320-2E for PCI-E, but I was wondering if anyone could confirm for me that non harddisk devices will work on this, and also that it will be happy running the drives non-RAID. Thanks all!

Dave

We use LSI Logics MegaRAID U320-2x in our servers and the all run fine with HP DAT / HP DLT / HP Ultrium and Sony AIT SCSI Tapedrives.

So your U320-2e will very likely also support non-disk devices.

The last controllers I used that would not support non-disk devices were Compaq SmartArray Controllers which sucked anyways so no use in buying them.

When the U320-2X was released it was the fastest RAID-5 controller available, the U320-2E should evn be some faster so it would be a solid choice.