sPECtre

WD starting production of 160GB/Platter disks?

Hi, has anyone found the new WD 160GB platter drives in the market? If not, when will they be out? I built a new PC almost 3 months ago using an old hard drive and waiting to buy these new WD drives which are supposed to be better and faster. The press release was already back in July and 4 months later still nothing. Talk about slow...

Guest 888
Hi, has anyone found the new WD 160GB platter drives in the market?

At least the 160GB model is available. Try Google search for WD1600AAJS ...they are already in stock in several stores, but looks like in European and Asian stores only.

Hi, has anyone found the new WD 160GB platter drives in the market?

At least the 160GB model is available. Try Google search for WD1600AAJS ...they are already in stock in several stores, but looks like in European and Asian stores only.

Really? How do you know that's one of the new drives? This one only has 8MB of cache, plus it doesn't mention any of the features they had announced in the press release like ramp load technology and NCQ. It also belongs to the SE series, which I thought was lower end than the SE16 series.

Guest 888
Really? How do you know that's one of the new drives? This one only has 8MB of cache, plus it doesn't mention any of the features they had announced in the press release like ramp load technology and NCQ. It also belongs to the SE series, which I thought was lower end than the SE16 series.

Yes it's real. Read just this current forum-topic from its beginning, you will find the references (in example WD's own pdf-datasheet zoomed in where's mentioned that WD1600AAJS is that new faster one-platter drive).

i'm still waiting for the new se16-drives as well....

i want nothing but two wd 320gb sata2 drives with 16mb cache, ncq, 160gb/platter

everything else isn't interesting for me. so where the heck are the new drives?.... i'm in the same boat as jandrade - running old ide drives because i wanted to wait for the new se16-drives - but slowly i'm getting really pissed that there aren't any news/infos about the new drives.

wd, gimme teh drives PLS, KTHX :P

OK, issue solved (the drives were in RAID).

So I tested the WD with HD Tach. There are to tests: 1 with 8Mb and 1 with 32Mb, whatever it means. The 8Mb test has a STR of 67 Mb/s in the beginning, avg. of about 55. The 32Mb test has a STR of 76 Mb/s max, and avg. of 60.8, burst 205.9

So what do you think, is it a 160Gb platter?

Guest 888
So I tested the WD with HD Tach. There are to tests: 1 with 8Mb and 1 with 32Mb, whatever it means. The 8Mb test has a STR of 67 Mb/s in the beginning, avg. of about 55. The 32Mb test has a STR of 76 Mb/s max, and avg. of 60.8, burst 205.9

So what do you think, is it a 160Gb platter?

The first test is referring exactly to the classic WD3200 model. But it's weird how much different results the second test gives.

What is the full model code of your drive (WD3200KS-??????) ?

Manufacturing date?

Duh, I made a mistake. The second test was for the Spinpoint <_< On the WD results are still 66.5 Mb/s :(

But I was wondering if it is due to a wrong setting on the MOBO. Like PIO2 instead of DMA5? I mean, isn't 66.7 Mb/s one of those max bus speeds?

Duh, I made a mistake. The second test was for the Spinpoint <_< On the WD results are still 66.5 Mb/s :(
Looks like same as in here:

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2803&p=5

If we could just get drive with Seagate's raw transfer rate and WD's caching system... in some situations Seagate really tooks bad nose dive.

Despite of smaller transfer rates primary drive I have, WD4000KD which is close to YR model seems to be still very hard competitor... so maybe Seagate's higher transfer rate would be more useful in data storage drive for replacing old smaller drives.

Guest 888

And as seen from these several photos, WD really no longer provides that nice black cover. Also, looks like they have now omitted the Molex power plug although its place is clearly remained there. But the PCB looks really nice - very small and compact! Also, the base case form is changed, the structure around the motor is more prominent, the motor connector is totally redesigned and also the upper breathing hole locates on another place now.

* It's good to remember the full model code and DCM code (september 2006 production) now:

WD1600AAJS-00PSA0 : EARCNT2AA

Yes, the speed characteristics look promising - synthetical HDtach: 80 MB/s max, 67 MB/s avg. Access time 13.3 ms (but this needs more tests to confirm as sometimes HDtach does not measure it right). There were also expressions that it is even more quiet and more cooler than current WD models. Now waiting for real life benchmarking tests and comparisons with other similar 160GB models...

Yes, the speed characteristics look promising - synthetical HDtach: 80 MB/s max, 67 MB/s avg. Access time 13.3 ms (but this needs more tests to confirm as sometimes HDtach does not measure it right). There were also expressions that it is even more quiet and more cooler than current WD models. Now waiting for real life benchmarking tests and comparisons with other similar 160GB models...
Definitely very interesting, considering how much better caching system WD has I think these 160GB platter WDs can give Seagates run for their money in most tests now when also raw performance is higher.

If it's really that newest WDs use these platters those are very tempting option considering Seagate's much lower performance in some read tests... and neither lottery with whining individuals sounds good.

What's the verdict on these drives? Are they only with 8mb cache?

I'm getting ready to start buying components for a new rig and was leaning towards multiple smaller HDDs (either 80gb or 160gb).

Of course, I'm wanting superior density on the smallest possible platter.

My other choice was the Seagate 7200.9s 80GBs, which are single-head single-platter.

Guest 888
Where are the 750gig from Western Digital.

There were some (pretty realistic) rumors around that the next capacity for WD would be 640GB. Out in middle of 2007.

i'm still waiting for the new se16-drives as well....

and one month later - still waiting :angry:

the drives should be out for over one month now and there's still no sign of them babies. no word from wd about the new drives - no news, no press release. i'm about to doubt that we'll see the 250gb/320gb drives in the near future... that's kinda disappointing.

Guest 888
and one month later - still waiting :angry:

the drives should be out for over one month now and there's still no sign of them babies. no word from wd about the new drives - no news, no press release. i'm about to doubt that we'll see the 250gb/320gb drives in the near future... that's kinda disappointing.

I hope there would be some additional press releases from WD just before Christmas or in first week of January. Usually it has been so and just concerning the new products (last year announcing the new Raptors, a year before the new quiet WD3200 series...)

BTW, now surprising...

There are several matches for WD3200AAKS from eBay, but not active today, so here are couple of shots from Google cache (with highlighting):

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:gZ4Ik...=1&ie=UTF-8

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:gKurV...=2&ie=UTF-8

and there's more which bidding has also ended...

Also here is WD3200AAKS listed:

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:jWPiX...12&ie=UTF-8

Guest 888

Just an interesting note...

Also, one of my distributor's database has new articles appeared recently: WD5000AAKS and WD800AAJS with a notify that they must arrive in stock on December,30,2006. But of course they did not arrived yet ;) Anyway all it sounds pretty much like appearing of new WDRaptor just a year ago - at first at distributors in the end of december and then officially announced in the beginning of january and appearing in shops during the month. Let's see what the new year will bring...

I noticed that a local retailer has WD5000AAKS listed and should arrive 31.12. - that's today. Probably not... it's Sunday. Maybe I'll buy that one instead of T7K500. There's not many retailers that carry Hitachis in Finland. :(

I'm curious about noise, heat and APM support. If I remember correctly, it didn't support APM. It was mentioned in some review or possibly I noticed it on some screenshot. I don't (unfortunately) remember the source.

Anyway, if it doesn't support APM, does it have some other power management feature? Does it unload when idling for longer period of time?

So did anyone already buy and tried the new WD5000AAKS drives? I'm wondering how they compare to the now older WD5000KS drives. I just bought two WD5000KS drives right after Xmas so I'm wondering if it will be worth it for me to return those and get the new ones. Thanks!