Himyaz

Recommendation for 23/24 inch Wide screen LCD

I am thinking of building a completely new PC. My existing monitor is Samsung 193p. My computer is mainly used for Photo Editing. Now I am also going to buy an HD Camcorder. I need a nice Wide Screen LCD monitor (to replace Samsung 193p) for Photo Editing, HD video and normal day to day PC work (internet, Word processing etc.).

Himyaz

/me pats his Dell 2405FPW

Not great for gaming, but pretty good otherwise. The 2407FPW in currently shipping revisions appears to be just as good...

I have a Dell 2007FPW and it's awesome. I love this thing. I was unable to find another 20" wide LCD for as low a price without the extra warranty, and matched the lowest priced ones with a 5 year warranty. Also, the Dell widescreens have inputs for S-video and composite video to use them as TV's, if you have the need. I bypassed that and put a TV card in my computer, but it still looks very pretty as a TV. Their service isn't quite what it used to be, and it is barely what I would consider adequate, but it is better than most of the industry. Their warranty is nice in that it's advanced replacement. if needed, they send you the replacement and then you use the box to send back the bad one. no repairs to deal with. no long waits for a new monitor. I'd say Dell is the best deal out there for LCD monitors.

While I also love my Dell 2405FPW, I wouldn't recommend it if you want to do photo work where color accuracy is essential. It sports a PVA panel (and the newer 2407WFP is a S-PVA, which has overdrive and slightly improved color), which is inferior to S-IPS panels when it comes to color reproduction. There's a pretty big difference between my PVA 2405 and S-IPS 2005. I run them side-by-side.

Unless you're willing to spend the money on a high end Eizo calibrated S-PVA based monitor, your typical S-IPS based display is going to have much better color accuracy than other panel types.

The Dell 2005FPW, 2007WFP, and the 30" 3007WFP use S-IPS panels.

I believe the 23" HP (L2335?) uses S-IPS, and other 23" models from Phillips & others may use the same panel. The 3007WFP is a good price for the size, less than the 2001FP was when that launched. But for gaming, it'll cripple your graphics card to run it at the native resolution!

What about ViewSonic VP2330WB? Specifications do not tell whether it is S-IPS or not. LG L2320A is also S-IPS. Now I am considering HP, LG & ViewSonic.

Himyaz

/me pats his Dell 2405FPW

Not great for gaming, but pretty good otherwise. The 2407FPW in currently shipping revisions appears to be just as good...

Excluding the not great for gaming comment, I have to agree with continuum. The Dell 2407FPW should be an excellent monitor. I am an owner of a Dell 2405FPW, which I use for gaming, so I think that the 2407FPW will be an excellent gaming monitor.

What about ViewSonic VP2330WB? Specifications do not tell whether it is S-IPS or not. LG L2320A is also S-IPS. Now I am considering HP, LG & ViewSonic.

Himyaz

Given the fact that S-IPS is more expensive than PVA/MVA, I would presume that, unless S-IPS is explicitly specified, the monitor is PVA/MVA.

I am also on the lookup for an LCD monitor, and I am currently considering the NEC 2070NX. (20", S-IPS, 1600x1200) Does anyone have any experience with this monitor?

Himyaz

The ViewSonic VP2330WB uses a 23" 8ms (G2G) AU Optronics P-MVA panel. The P- indicates overdrive technology used to improve pixel response, but on MVA, it hurts color reproduction just slightly.

This site is about the best resource I've located for finding which panel is in which screen.

Thank you very much for all the replies. Now I am looking at Eizo. I can not afford Eizo ColorEdge CG models. I can consider Eizo ColorEdge CE models. ColorEdge CG mdels have IPS panels but I do not know which panel is uded in Eizo ColorEdge CE240W. Is the picture quality of Eizo ColorEdge CE240W better than HP L2335 or Samsung 244T. I hope there is not a big difference between Eizo ColorEdge CG & CE models except calibration capabilities.

I am also thinking of buying (in future) HD Camcorder. Will I be able to watch HD Video on Eizo ColorEdge CE240W through NV7900XTX?

Himyaz

Thank you very much for all the replies. Now I am looking at Eizo. I can not afford Eizo ColorEdge CG models. I can consider Eizo ColorEdge CE models. ColorEdge CG mdels have IPS panels but I do not know which panel is uded in Eizo ColorEdge CE240W. Is the picture quality of Eizo ColorEdge CE240W better than HP L2335 or Samsung 244T. I hope there is not a big difference between Eizo ColorEdge CG & CE models except calibration capabilities.

According to the site I referenced above, the CE240W uses a Samsung S-PVA panel, one of two panels also used in the 2407WFP. The Eizo will, however, arrive much more color calibrated.