Sign in to follow this  
Roxor McOwnage

You can't get around just buying a fast drive to begin with, can y

For big, cheap and reliable software RAID 5 seems to be the way to go, and it's what I use for a home fileserver. No real need for speed.

But at work my desktop typically runs a few VMWare images with Windows/Linux/Solaris x86 inside. I had a setup with 2 74GB Raptors, but for space and failure-recovery reasons swapped them out for 4x160GB RAID 10. After all, 4 drives must be better than 2, right?

Although I got the extra space and a warm-n-fuzzy feeling from the mirrored disks.... the striping and higher STR didn't help at all. In fact, things are noticably more sluggish now. I can only guess that since VMWare is really ramming an entire filesystem inside a large file on the underlying OS there must be some crazy seeking going on inside those big files? Or before where I put a couple VM's on each disk now they're all competing for the same array?

Anyways, I learned my lesson. The money would have been better spent on more (or larger) Raptors. And I thought I was being so clever and frugal... :)

Bah!

Live and learn...

Rox

Here comes my two cents...

160GB drives today are very cheap, for the price of two raptors you could get 6 drives so I don't think that comparing 2 raptors with 4 160GB drives is that fair.

Provided that you have the ports available just add two or four drives and your problem will be solved.

I think that even though you went for the cheap option, 4x160GB shouldn't be that far off the raptors, in a system with several concurrent reads I would even expect it to beat the raptors. Since you feel that the system is considerably slower now, perhaps some test would be in place, maybe something is simply wrong.

Hi Adde,

You're right: maybe the idea was good but I just didn't go far enough with it. 4 drives was convenient because of port and internal space issues: but 2 more drives may do the trick if I get a bigger case.

So far I'm just complaining about the "feel" of the system: if I do get a couple more drives I'll be sure to post some real benchmarks of my findings.

Regards,

Rox