KingGremlin

Any 15k.5 numbers yet?

SR posted a month ago that the Cheetah 15K.5 was on the testbed being put through its paces. Are there any preliminary numbers to post yet? I know this is a stupid question, but any clue as to when these will be available for purchase? The impending Conroe has me looking to overhaul my system for the first time in years quite soon. If the 15k.5 can put a hurting on the Raptor, I'd probably wait, otherwise I'm sure I could save quite a bit of cash getting rid of SCSI and using onboard SATA.

Guest Eugene
SR posted a month ago that the Cheetah 15K.5 was on the testbed being put through its paces. Are there any preliminary numbers to post yet? I know this is a stupid question, but any clue as to when these will be available for purchase? The impending Conroe has me looking to overhaul my system for the first time in years quite soon. If the 15k.5 can put a hurting on the Raptor, I'd probably wait, otherwise I'm sure I could save quite a bit of cash getting rid of SCSI and using onboard SATA.

The numbers I've drawn from the 15K.5 sample we have right now are very bad... something's definitely amiss. We're waiting on a second sample from Seagate, I hope to have something in the database soon.

Thank you very much for the update, Eugene. I found in another thread that Seagate says these drives won't be in the distribution channels until October 6th. So much for "late second quarter."

The numbers I've drawn from the 15K.5 sample we have right now are very bad... something's definitely amiss. We're waiting on a second sample from Seagate, I hope to have something in the database soon.

Hi Eugene, can you set any expectation as to when Seagate might send you another sample? or if they have already when a review will come out? did they tell you any useful info, eg: if the drive is actually shipping to anyone? sounds like they might have announced a little prematurely if indeed october is a real delivery date.

cheers

ewart.

Guest Eugene

For the insatiably curious, 15K.5 numbers have been added to the database. We'll have a formal write up set to go next week.

Thanks,

Eugene

For the insatiably curious, 15K.5 numbers have been added to the database. We'll have a formal write up set to go next week.

Thanks,

Eugene

The tests were done on a 300 GB Ultra 320 disk (ST3300655LW), was a SAS model available? Have Seagate dropped the server/desktop mode settings in the 15K.5?

The only standout numbers are the read transfer rate (135 - 82 MB/sec) and the IOMeter file server numbers for larger queue depths. The general benchmark results are pretty ordinary. Are these the original batch numbers or have you tested a second batch?

If you can get you hands on the SAS version, would it be possible to test the dual port performance? When I tried this on a 15K.4 SAS disk (e.g. reading out of the disk cache from both ports simultaneously) the numbers were not good.

Holy shizzle! I was checking some of the numbers that Eugene put up on the database, and the minimum transfer rate is 82MB/s and the max is 135MB/s. This alone almost puts a full strain on SATA 1.0 B):blink:

Mmmm. Sounds like typical Seagate-- modest improvements across the board.

The performance at high queue depths makes me wonder if the firmware had lots and lots of effort spent specifically optimizing it for such performance. :)