bigbulus5000

Samsung Kingston Corsair Micron, how do I know?

I never touch memory as much as hard drive, from my understanding, memory doesn't have firmware, s/n, etc in it... So assuming all specs are identical, what is the difference between: Kingston using Samsung chipset vs. Corsair using Samsung chipset vs. other brands using Samsung chipset?

Will a system able to see a memory installed is Kingston or Corsair?

Anyone can please confirm?

Such things are programmed into the SPD (make, model, suggested timings). Of course counterfeiters may program the SPD to lie, but that's unlikely. All memory at the same timings/speed is pretty much equivalent in performance.

it is in the details?

Even Micron/Crucial has variations at times in batches, and there can be problems mixing RAM from same or different vendors definitely. Voltage, latency, timings.

But in your example, I would be more concerned with the parts used to assemby the board, noise, leakage. Not all Micron memory is probably the same either. Some doesn't pass the first test, so it gets rejected and sold on open market.

Will it tolerate heat as well? does it over-clock or accept modifying voltage, timing, etc?

Always interesting to see what type of punishment reviewers put memory through.

And ANANDTECH

Thanks for your response above. My question is simple:

So if I installed a Kingston module, will my server/PC able to see the memory installed is:

KINGSTON 1GB PC3200?

Is there any program/application to do such thing? Or will the system see memory all the same (meaning, it only sees capacity, speed, and don't read/not able to read the brand?)

Thanks again,

In addition to above, does BIOS/application know the difference between memory brands?

So if I installed a Kingston module, will my server/PC able to see the memory installed is:

KINGSTON 1GB PC3200?

Is there any program/application to do such thing? Or will the system see memory all the same (meaning, it only sees capacity, speed, and don't read/not able to read the brand?)

Thanks again,

In addition to above, does BIOS/application know the difference between memory brands?

KINGSTON 1GB PC3200?

Thanks again,

Memory modules today have a very small flash memory chip onboard. The only thing I have seen that motherboards read from this memory is basic timing numbers. There may be manufacturer and model

numbers stored but I have never seen hardware that makes use of this info.

The SPD does contain manufacturer and model information. Some manufacturers even fill it in.

The differences between memory modules include the quality of the printed circuit card and the selection of memory components. Some vendors are proud of the fact that they believe they can achieve the required performance with a two layer printed circuit card at a lower cost. Others are proud of the fact that they use six layer boards for improved noise immunity. Both may use the same memory chips on their modules.

Utilities like sisoft sandra ( http://www.sisoftware.net/ ) are capable of reporting the contents of the SPD and have tables of common vendors and would, as you say say "KINGSTON 1GB PC3200" or something similar.