Sign in to follow this  
Ron_Jeremy

bizarre prob with CRT

I come to work today & there's a Viewsonic E70f 17" CRT on my bench along with a generic whitebox PC based on a Biostar M7VIZ mainboard (onboard VGA). Anyway, the monitor does not display anything when connected to this comp (no BIOS screen, no POST info, nothing). The green light on the front of the monitor comes on, but the screen remains black. Then the "off in 5 secs" box appears briefly, then the light turns yellow. I popped in a AGP card & it does indeed light up the screen.

Here's the kicker:

1: I've tried the monitor with 4 other comps, & it works perfectly with all

2: I've tried the customers PC with various store stock monitors (1 CRT & 3 LCD's), & it also works fine (this is with the onboard VGA, not the aforementioned AGP card)

Strangely, the original monitor/PC combo refuse to work together. I've reset the BIOS. I've removed the mainboard from the chassis & run it bare on my bench. I've inspected the cable ends/pins. I don't know what else I can try. My boss seems to remember seeing this crazy behaviour a long time ago & thinks it has to do with "Green mode" on the monitor. I dunno.

Thoughts?

It sounds like your onboard VGA is set to a resolution/refresh combination that the monitor doesn't support, but normally video starts off at a lower resolution when first booting.

Are there any options in the BIOS to control video resolution / refresh rate? If there are, try changing them.

You might try resetting the settings on the monitor back to defaults and see if you have any better luck.

Viewsonic is not a brand maker, it is a rebrander of other monitor makers.

I had 70F opened and was very GENERIC quality. I think the PC didn't sense the certain correctly grounded pin (basis for IBM standards) to tell the onboard chipset monitor is connected.

Cheers, Wizard

Viewsonic is not a brand maker, it is a rebrander of other monitor makers.

I had 70F opened and was very GENERIC quality. I think the PC didn't sense the certain correctly grounded pin (basis for IBM standards) to tell the onboard chipset monitor is connected.

Cheers, Wizard

My Viewsonic has a Samsung tube :P

Anyhow, I was having a some-what similar situation with an older computer. The monitor is capable of high resolution, the card is capable of high resolution and all the correct drivers were in place. No matter what, it would not get out of VGA mode (it allowed 32 bit color, but would not allow over 60hz refresh or VGA resolution). Moving the PC to another monitor fixed the problem, as did moving the monitor to another PC. Didn't make sense to me :blink: Refresh and resolution at booting should be standard VGA (or perhaps lower), I know it's low enough that every monitor built since 1990 can display it.

I think the PC didn't sense the certain correctly grounded pin (basis for IBM standards) to tell the onboard chipset monitor is connected.

This could also work in reverse - if the monitor doesn't get the right signal to tell it a computer is connected, it will go into standby mode.

From what Ron Jeremy has said, the logical conclusion is that both motherboard and monitor are slightly dodgy, and that each is intolerant of the fault in the other. So when you connect another monitor, the new monitor can cope with whatever's wrong with the PC, and/or the PC doesn't encounter the problem that made it refuse to send a signal. When you connect the original monitor to the AGP card, the AGP card can cope with whatever's wrong with the monitor, and/or the monitor doesn't encounter the problem that made it fail to receive / display the signal.

Is the VGA cable to the monitor captive? If not, I'd definitely try replacing that. Otherwise, your cheapest solution would be to buy a budget graphics card (which will almost certainly be faster than the motherboard's integrated graphics); if you have to return it with the same type of hardware as it came with, you may have to replace the motherboard (especially if it's within warranty). If the new motherboard has the same problem, then replace the monitor, and return the new motherboard if you can.

I guess you could attempt to replace the VGA connector on the motherboard, or replace the captive cable on the monitor, but for me, it wouldn't be worth the effort.