Per Hansson

Registered ECC Memory works on "normal" mobos

Just got a few sticks of PC2700 Registered ECC memory left over and saw about the Gigabyte i-RAM solidstate ramdrive, got all worked up untill I came to the part that it does not support ECC memory...

But being bored I put the memory in a computer I had here, a Epox 9NDA3+, It's a nForce3 Socket 939 based mobo which does not have a single mention for ECC in it's manual... Well, I fired it up and it worked just fine... Now I wanna know why it works, I guess it's not using the ECC feature but that is fine with me, hinting about if it would be possible to use it on the Gigabyte i-RAM or not...

Socket 939 does support ECC, but I did not think it was possible to use registered/buffered memory with it. Interesting. As far as the ECC goes, the memory won't be used in ECC mode unless you can somehow enable that in the BIOS.

ECC and Registered depend on chipset and BIOS support, not socket. 940 requires Registered DIMMs, ECC is optional - I turn it off in my dual-940 board's BIOS, but that wouldn't matter if my DIMMs weren't ECC anyway.

ECC and Registered depend on chipset and BIOS support, not socket. 940 requires Registered DIMMs, ECC is optional - I turn it off in my dual-940 board's BIOS, but that wouldn't matter if my DIMMs weren't ECC anyway.

On the Athlon 64/Opteron platform it has nothing at all to do with the chipset. The memory controller is in the processor. If you look at the processor spec sheets, they state what type of memory is supported.

Registered memory support requires that the BIOS be able to properly program the memory controller for it. Likewise, enabling ECC support.

I have seen extremely few systems that would not accept ECC memory. It does not take anything special to support ECC as regular memory. ECC DIMMs just have an extra 8 bits of memory width, typically one extra memory chip per side of the DIMM unless it's a very unusual DIMM.

Tested the memory in a Epox 8RDA+ nForce2 mobo, got C1 error on the Port80h=Memory Error...

So it would seem "Bicster" is right, i.e. on the Athlon 64 the chipset is irrelevant, I'm assuming that when I ran it in my other mobo the processor correctly interfaced the Registry chip in the RAM, because AFAIK all requests must go though it to work at all, weather ECC was used or not I dunno but I guess that would be a possibility too

And I guess this means the memory could not work in the Gigabyte i-RAM, or has anyone else come to other conclusions?

Tried to use the Registered ECC memory on my DFI Expert socket 939 mobo with nForce4 chipset, it has an Opteron 170 CPU so I thought then it should have even higher probability of working

I was kinda wrong there though, C1 memory error... Beep beep

Put another stick into that Epox 9NDA3+ mobo and it is running them both fine, kinda odd because I have been unable to populate that mobo with more than one DIMM (and the seller of it sold me it cheap listing this caveat...)

I think what others have stated is largely correct. You generally won't have a problem with unbufferred ECC memory although you frequently won't be able to use the ECC function (not 100% whether it depends on the memory controller or only the chipset & bios). However registered memory (whether ECC or not) depends on the memory controller and also the bios/chipset I guess. The A64 and Opteron 939 lines (all built in memory controller of course) DO NOT support registered memory.

Edited by Nil Einne

However registered memory (whether ECC or not) depends on the memory controller and also the bios/chipset I guess. The A64 and Opteron 939 lines (all built in memory controller of course) DO NOT support registered memory.

Well, Nil Einne as this whole thread is about I am running Registered memory on a Socket 939 Clawhammer CPU...

eccregcpuz.png

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=103423