xSTLx

Removing Sticker Glue Remains From Sensitive Computer Components.

I bought two new Laptops and there were stickers on the inner surfaces near the touch pad like many other laptops. Usually I never have a problem removing these stickers, just be careful and remove them slowly and you have no problem. Well not this time. The stickers would not remove easily and I had to destroy them to get them off and they left behind lots of sticky goo. I have not been able to remove this goo with anything that I know to be safe on plastics. Has anyone been using something they can suggest that works to remove this type of goo and is safe on plastics? In the mean time my brand new laptops are ruined. :( Any help is welcome. Thanking you in advance. :)

I normally would use a bit of vegetable oil to take off the goo and then soap (or IPA) to remove the oil.

Acetone would be way too strong. IPA on its own might be enough.

Goo-Gone usually works pretty well. So far I've not seen it damage anything.

Rubbing alcohol also helps remove many adhesives. It evaporates quickly and doesn't leave any residue.

I bought two new Laptops and there were stickers on the inner surfaces near the touch pad like many other laptops. Usually I never have a problem removing these stickers, just be careful and remove them slowly and you have no problem. Well not this time. The stickers would not remove easily and I had to destroy them to get them off and they left behind lots of sticky goo. I have not been able to remove this goo with anything that I know to be safe on plastics. Has anyone been using something they can suggest that works to remove this type of goo and is safe on plastics? In the mean time my brand new laptops are ruined. :( Any help is welcome. Thanking you in advance. :)

I would use Un-Du adhesive remover (not Goo Gone, not acetone, not candlewax remover, etc.).

Un-Du is unique in that it leaves no stain, and can remove stickers without damaging the adhesive (you can remove self-adhesive postage stamps sent in junk mail and and reuse them, for example).

Except for LCD screens, I would use Un-Du on any parts of a laptop. Un-Du probably won't mess up screens, but if it leaves even the tiniest stain, it will be permanent, so it should be avoided on LCD screens.

Amazon.com is apparently selling Un-Du now (through affiliates).

Doumar Products, Inc., which makes (made?) Un-Du, used to have an Un-Du website, but it seems to have disappeared. Un-Du used to be in stores like Wal-Mart around 1998, but after about two years on the shelves, it disappeared. I guess it didn't sell well enough. There are articles available online about the company struggling to meet demand when their product was first mass-produced.

I am not sure of this (haven't tried it), but Un-Du might be the same as "Bestine", a solvent you may be able to find at supply stores. If Bestine, available in quart-sized containers or larger, is the same as Un-Du, then it is certainly less expensive in bulk. I'm almost certain that the active ingredient (Heptane, aka Dipropylmethane) is the same, but I am not sure about other ingredients.

I use Un-Du all the time.

(Note: For printed circuit boards, flux remover in the spray can is more cost-effective than Un-Du. However, some of the flux on PCBs may be beneficial, and so it might not be a good idea to remove it.)

Trivia item: Un-Du was invented by the same guy who invented the Twister game.

Very lightly spraying WD40 onto a soft cloth has always worked well for me. Follow up with a soft cleanser to take away the smell. But, I kinda lke the smell...

Very lightly spraying WD40 onto a soft cloth has always worked well for me. Follow up with a soft cleanser to take away the smell. But, I kinda lke the smell...

That's what I used yesterday to remove lots of left-over adhesive from the bezel of an IBM 21" monitor I bought at a surplus store. Did it ever work well--> Good ol' WD-40 :D

I first tried paint thinner :o Sweet Mother of Jesus, did it ever remove the adhesive and the plastic of the bezel also --> Ouch! Fortunately I was trying it on the side-bottom of the bezel

So do not forget, WD-40 is the magic remover ( and it leaves a nice smell :P )

Wow, thanks for all the suggestions thus far. I am purchasing the various items to give them a try. I will make sure to post the results. Thanks Everyone. :)