sram

Tragic story. A friend lost about 200 GB

An inexperienced friend of mine was using one partitioning program(didn't mention its name), when he accidently deleted the first/only partition in one of his 200 GB drives. He felt so sad, and didn't know what to do. He then decided to format the drive and tried several file recovery programs ( I think he mentioned easyrecovery, recover my files...) Anyways, some programs were able to recover his files, but he can't open most of them, and some open with trash data!

Most of his files are video files, audio files, pictures, some office files. He says video and audio don't play altough the recovered file reports the same file size. office files open with trash date.

Why is this? What is the best recovery software? He says he will pay good money for a software that will get his data back and working! It is the work of over three years.

This is a common problem and it is frequently asked here, so some might just know the best way to go. I mentioned his story, so you guys what exactly happened.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by sram

I had a problem before when i formatted and partitoned my D drive by mistake (250GB) and installed windows on to it, I bought a program called "undelete" and i managed to recover all my data (only lost what the new windows intall wrote to the drive, about 400mb) The prog cost 49.00 and was it paid it self off a 1000 times!!!

The fact that he formatted may have sealed his data's fate.

Indeed. Deleting a partition is much less tragic than reformating (especially depending on the type of reformat he did).

He then decided to format the drive and tried several file recovery programs ( I think he mentioned easyrecovery, recover my files...)

Quick question, did he reformat and reload Windows of did he just format only?

He then decided to format the drive and tried several file recovery programs ( I think he mentioned easyrecovery, recover my files...)

Quick question, did he reformat and reload Windows of did he just format only?

That's when he told me, so I told him not to do anything else. The drive is a data drive anyways, he wouldn't have done it.

Thanks for all the help guys. He just told me that he tried over ten recovery programs. Only one worked! Getdata was able to recover every bit and byte of his data according to him.

Thanks for all the help guys. He just told me that he tried over ten recovery programs. Only one worked! Getdata was able to recover every bit and byte of his data according to him.
Great news - lucky guy. I hope you've already told him to spend good money on a backup system :)

Great news - lucky guy. I hope you've already told him to spend good money on a backup system

That is the thing he is spending most of his current time on!!

My laptop's 40gb 1.8" Hitachi failed just this week (with a loud head crash and BSOD!) and couldnt get it to boot into windows. I also had great success with GetDataBack (http://www.runtime.org/).

It's very nice in that it gives full instructions for making a WinPE bootable CD, so you can boot into a cut down windows directly off the CD, and from there run the GetDataBack app. I left it to spend 8 hours scanning each sector overnight. By morning it reported that only 1GB of 27GB was unreadable, and basically I would be able to recover everything else. Great!

At this point I decided to try one last time to boot into windows (GetDataBack even has a save progress, so you dont have to do the scan all over again - figured I would use that if I couldnt get into windows) because the drive was strarting to sound a bit healthier. Must have got 'warmed up' overnight or something.

On restart it came up with a S.M.A.R.T. message telling me my drive was in critical condition and would fail imminently so backup my data (talk about after the fact!!). press any key. and then it booted into windows. So in the end I didnt need to pay for GetDataBack, but it certainly looked good.

Anyway ive certainly learned my lesson, and as soon as I got back into windows I backed up all my data - hadnt lost anything vital - close shave!

Jack

Sram, could you please clarify if the software that worked for your friend was GetData ( http://www.getdata.com ) or if it was GetDataBack ( http://www.runtime.org ).

Thanks.