Closersource

ATI MOBILITY RADEON X1300/X1400

I'm considering in purchasing a new IBM T60 to replace my old T40 that has served me well over the years. Only thing I'm a bit concerned about is this HyperMemory advertising that is rather confusing on the IBM site.

The models with the X1300 have a discrete 64MB, but ALL the models with the X1400 include the term HyperMemory.

Graphics

Video RAM STD/MAX 128MB

Description ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 HyperMemory

Graphics Type SXGA

Video RAM Type GDDR

Now the question is does the 128MB above mean 128MB of discrete memory or that 64MB is dedicated and 64MB is shared from system? IBM Tech has been no help as usual, and the retailers have no clue either. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge with this? I have known DELL to be deceptive in advertising, boasting 512MB VRAM when it's actually 256MB and then 256MB of system memory.

There is a very limited amount of independent information about the X1400 on the web, except that it is only meant for mobile implementation and that it is an overclocked version of the X1300 laptop card. From my understanding don't all the X1xxx series cards suport HyperMemory? What does IBM mean here?

All I can say for sure is that ATI's HyperMemory, and nVidia's TurboCache, are integrated video shared-memory solutions. If it doesn't say either, I'd say it's using discrete memory.

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss...ocid=MIGR-62722

Sounds like it's 128MB dedicated. Hypermemory is limited to low end parts, I think the highest-end part with such support is the X1400.

This is hardly definitive, but it sounds like 128MB dedicated, access to another 128MB of system memory with Hypermemory.

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26928

Thanks for all the help everyone, it does appear that the X1400, is a discrete 128MB. However, I got a mint condition T42 with a 64MB Radeon 9600 for 900$ instead, I really have no need for a T60 at the time and with the best deal for the X1400 at 2000$ it wouldn't be worth it.

It's kind of annoying how outdated the Radeon 7500 is and how IBM kept with it as its base configuration ever since its introduction with the T30 series!