Sign in to follow this  
arge

Advantages of vertical HDD positioning?

I've noticed there's few 5bay HDD enclosures, which has their disks in vertical position. Anyone know if this has other advantages/disadvantages than saving the space and fitting 5 disks in 3x5.25"?

Shouldn't matter as long as it's a 90 degree or flat orientation.

FWIW, most multi-drive rackmounts now mount the drives horizontally due to multiple-drive-interaction vibration issues. Reps from Maxtor and Hitachi have confirmed that they prefer this, although I don't know if this is general advice or specificl to the particular models of drives that were using.

Servo system adapts to vertical orientation just fine.

Multiple-drive-interaction vibration issues happen just as easily with the drives in a horizontal position. Quality of the drive bays are of bigger concern here. Bolt 'em down to solid metal.

I imagine customer reps probably recommend horizontal positioning because that's how most of the reliability testing gets done:

http://www.flexstar.com/products/index.htm

That's true, but it seems that our Maxtor and Hitachi reps both recommended horizontal, given the choice.

A customer has done extensive shock tolerance testing and found that of the specific models of drives they were comparing from Seagate, Western Digital, Hitachi, and Maxtor, as well as the possible chassis they were using, horizontally mounting the drives of choice was best.

Guest 888

If there's no active air-cooling then vertically mounting is preferred. Hot air arises up and takes heat from both large surfaces, including the electronics board.

The worst case is to put working HDD flat on some surface (on table in example), blocking all air circulation from bottom side around the electronics board.

Edited by 888