Kai990

Firmware for my Maxline 3 Harddisk and another problem...

Hi

I have a 7v300f0 maxtor maxline 3 Harddisk and a Msi Mainboard with a Nforce 4 chipset. The mainboard has some problems with recognizing my harddisk at Startup. I heard that i can fix this with a new Firmware for the Harddisk but i can´t find the Firmware for it anywhere.

And heres another problem i have:

I got the feeling that when i connect the Harddisk to my Pci controller PROMISE SATA-300 TX2+ the speed of the Harddisk is slower as it should be. I connected it and used Hd Tach to find out it´s speed. This are the results:

Burst: 108 Mb/s

Random acces: 14.6ms

Avg. Read: 58.1

UDMA 6

Is the Harddisk really slower than it could be or is it ok as it is?

(sorry for any spelling mistakes and stuff, i know my english isn´t the best :D )

Hi

I have a 7v300f0 maxtor maxline 3 Harddisk and a Msi Mainboard with a Nforce 4 chipset. The mainboard has some problems with recognizing my harddisk at Startup. I heard that i can fix this with a new Firmware for the Harddisk but i can´t find the Firmware for it anywhere.

Contact Maxtor product support, as they are the ones that provide the firmware updates.. You may invalidate your 5 year warranty if you use a firmware you find off the internet. The firmware file I was sent was VA111670, please post if they send you something newer. VA111670 still doesn't fix problems with drives disappearing from raid.
Burst: 108 Mb/s

Random acces: 14.6ms

Avg. Read: 58.1

UDMA 6

Nothing seems wrong to me there, what were you expecting from it?

The burst speed is limited by the PCI bus, access time seems roughly normal, and the average read time is sane for these drives, and UDMA6 is just the way SATA seems to gets reported

Nothing seems wrong to me there, what were you expecting from it?

The burst speed is limited by the PCI bus, access time seems roughly normal, and the average read time is sane for these drives, and UDMA6 is just the way SATA seems to gets reported

But wikipedia says that the latest PCI standard would support up to 0.5Gb/s

Contact Maxtor product support, as they are the ones that provide the firmware updates.. You may invalidate your 5 year warranty if you use a firmware you find off the internet. The firmware file I was sent was VA111670, please post if they send you something newer. VA111670 still doesn't fix problems with drives disappearing from raid.

Ok i´ll contact them ;)

Edit: Is there a tool where i can find out if my Harddisk has the NCQ feature on or if it´s turned off , i just want to know if that thing works.. :D

Edited by Kai990

You mentioned PCI though, not PCI-X or PCIe, which are both high speed.. Standard pci is 133m/s, and limited to about 100 m/s in practice, less on cheap chipsets.

You mentioned PCI though, not PCI-X or PCIe, which are both high speed.. Standard pci is 133m/s, and limited to about 100 m/s in practice, less on cheap chipsets.

Ok so this is solved ;)

Today I got VA111900. But why the f**k did they not know about the "disappearing from raid" problem? I lost my system several times since I have the disks and today (!) got to know about the firmware problem by "accident" (see: http://groups.google.com/group/fa.linux.ke...afcec6a4b20407)

The German Maxtor support is offline at the moment, so I can't tell them to update their problem database.

firmware: VA111900 is the newest version, so you properly have to wait for new one will be out... :(

Today I got VA111900. But why the f**k did they not know about the "disappearing from raid" problem? I lost my system several times since I have the disks and today (!) got to know about the firmware problem by "accident" (see: http://groups.google.com/group/fa.linux.ke...afcec6a4b20407)

The German Maxtor support is offline at the moment, so I can't tell them to update their problem database.

Nice, my mailing list post got referenced (http://groups.google.de/group/linux.debian.user/msg/f12dec920523a629?hl=de&) I replied letting him know the newest firmware appears to fix it.