qwe123

Seagate 7200.10 Review

I guess many of SR visitors are eagerly waiting for Seagate 7200.10 series review, particularly 320GB version. There are some already available on the net, but they mostly concentrate on 750 GB version, and don't have the depth and quality of SR. A question for Admin: are there any plans in the near future for such a review ?

Many thanks

I guess many of SR visitors are eagerly waiting for Seagate 7200.10 series review, particularly 320GB version. There are some already available on the net, but they mostly concentrate on 750 GB version, and don't have the depth and quality of SR. A question for Admin: are there any plans in the near future for such a review ?

Many thanks

Agreed. I've bought a 7200.10 320GB drive and I'll let you know what it's like the moment it arrives. I'm looking for fast, low temperature and low noise. I've rejected Raptors, Samsungs and other Seagates so it's going to be a tough ride!

I have a question on this drive, maybe StorageReview can find out for us:

Per Seagates info sheet (http://www.seagate.com/docs/pdf/marketing/po_barracuda_7200_10.pdf), the perpendicular recording method used by the 7200.10 helps decrease moving parts.

Fewer moving parts relative to what, the previous Barracuda or the competition? Does this mean that by using perpendicular recording, the 7200.10 does not need to use a micro-actuator?

The 7200.10 uses Adaptive Fly Height, so one would think that the 7200.10 would have an increase in moving parts relative to previous generations.

I believe that 2 platter design for a mass produced drive should be optimal from the reliability/temp/noise point of view. 320Gb Model is also the best value for the money. There is also a new perpendicular technology, which should bring benefits, but as with anything that is new in technology field one should be cautious at this stage.

Before the 7200.10 introduction I wanted to get 300GB Maxtor MaxLineIII, as it was significantly improved in latest batch, in terms of speed but it is 3 platter design, most likely short-stroked and, and I was put down by reliability reports (could be also the consequence of Maxtor acquisition)

I know that 7200.10 has even higher sequential transfer rate then MaxLineIII, but I wanted to know how does it behave in "real-life" benchmarks, desktop and multitasking patterns, where MaxLineIII excels.

Agreed. I've bought a 7200.10 320GB drive and I'll let you know what it's like the moment it arrives. I'm looking for fast, low temperature and low noise. I've rejected Raptors, Samsungs and other Seagates so it's going to be a tough ride!
Edited by qwe123

I've had Maxtors die on me and that put me off. I tend to go for Seagate. I'll report back on how the 7200.10 320GB shapes up but don't expect anything like a SR review! I'll post the HD Tach results compared to the other drives (Seagate 160GB 7200.9 and Samsung Spinpoint 250GB). That's about all I can do! Plus heat and noise....

Thanks a lot, I would appreciate any info you post...

I've had Maxtors die on me and that put me off. I tend to go for Seagate. I'll report back on how the 7200.10 320GB shapes up but don't expect anything like a SR review! I'll post the HD Tach results compared to the other drives (Seagate 160GB 7200.9 and Samsung Spinpoint 250GB). That's about all I can do! Plus heat and noise....

Thanks a lot, I would appreciate any info you post...

I got a couple of 750GB's in last week and installed them. I've dumped a bunch of data one from an older drive I removed, and that's about all I've done with it so far, but I did notice that it is loud. Very loud, on seeks anyway. Clank-Clank-Clank. I have a 74GB Raptor and can hardly hear that thing in my case with all the other fans, but this thing makes a noticable racket. Doesn't bother me as I don't use them for anything other than storing movies and tv shows, so I don't have to access them while "using" the computer. If you do plan on making one of these an app or OS drive, I suggest you try it first as the noise could quite annyoing if used in that situation.

I wonder if that noise has something to do with many platters/heads built into 750GB model or with the design itself.

I got a couple of 750GB's in last week and installed them. I've dumped a bunch of data one from an older drive I removed, and that's about all I've done with it so far, but I did notice that it is loud. Very loud, on seeks anyway. Clank-Clank-Clank. I have a 74GB Raptor and can hardly hear that thing in my case with all the other fans, but this thing makes a noticable racket. Doesn't bother me as I don't use them for anything other than storing movies and tv shows, so I don't have to access them while "using" the computer. If you do plan on making one of these an app or OS drive, I suggest you try it first as the noise could quite annyoing if used in that situation.

I can't take the noise from the 150 Raptor so expect to see my new 7200.10 320GB model on ebay if it's a rattler!

I'm also interested in the 7200.9 new models as my 160GB one is fine. Will the new sub-family be an improvement on the current line-up, I wonder.....

I can't take the noise from the 150 Raptor so expect to see my new 7200.10 320GB model on ebay if it's a rattler!

I'm also interested in the 7200.9 new models as my 160GB one is fine. Will the new sub-family be an improvement on the current line-up, I wonder.....

The drive also gets hot, which I thought was odd after reading a review stating it wasn't as hot as some other drives. Makes me wonder what qualifies as hot these days. I actually said "ouch" after touching it for just a second, and that was with the computer turned off for a minute or two while I opened the case to install the second drive.

My mini-mini review of the 320GB Seagate 7200.10 :

The seek noises are VERY loud !! I'm very disappointed in Seagate, up until now I have always bought Seagate hard drives, but this is just unacceptable. I'm going to return the HD and get a Samsung SP2504C. Well I actually already got it. It's a Rev A from 04/2006. I used the Samsung HUtil 2.0 program to set the AAM to quiet (the AAM modes are : off, fast, middle, quiet). Wow, day and night different in noise.

Brian, Denmark

Well, the noise doesn't bother me that much, as long it sounds "healthy" and the performance justifies it.

The seek noises are VERY loud !! I'm very disappointed in Seagate, up until now I have always bought Seagate hard drives, but this is just unacceptable. I'm going to return the HD and get a Samsung SP2504C. Well I actually already got it. It's a Rev A from 04/2006. I used the Samsung HUtil 2.0 program to set the AAM to quiet (the AAM modes are : off, fast, middle, quiet). Wow, day and night different in noise.

Brian, Denmark

Brian, Denmark

My 7200.10 320GB has arrived from Komplett but I have not yet taken it out of its wrapper. If you really think I'm going to find it unacceptably loud, do you recommened I just return it before even opening it???

Thanks for this tip. I hate noise, and don't use Raptors because of it.

My 7200.10 320GB has arrived from Komplett but I have not yet taken it out of its wrapper. If you really think I'm going to find it unacceptably loud, do you recommened I just return it before even opening it???

To one that hate noise like me, I can't recommend the hard disk. Sure it's fast, I guess, BUT the sound just drives me nuts. :wacko: It sounds like a geiger counter !! Of cause you could test it yourself. There is not any seal to be broken or anything (easy to return again)

To one that hate noise like me, I can't recommend the hard disk. Sure it's fast, I guess, BUT the sound just drives me nuts. :wacko: It sounds like a geiger counter !! Of cause you could test it yourself. There is not any seal to be broken or anything (easy to return again)

Thanks. It's sealed in an anti-static bag and komplett won't have it back if I break the bag. Think I'll wait for something else. I have that Samsung 250GB drive as well and it's nice and quiet though the Seagate 7200.9 160GB is even quieter.

Guest 888
I have that Samsung 250GB drive as well and it's nice and quiet though the Seagate 7200.9 160GB is even quieter.

That's interesting... Is your 7200.9 160GB an ATA version? Yes it is quiet, it's with AAM on. But all of my customers are complaining the SATA version to be a bit loud on seeking. Just sharp metallic sounds.

Come on, is it realy that bad ? Is it louder then old drives with ball bearing spindle motors ?

Maybe you just have a faulty drive.

I have that Samsung 250GB drive as well and it's nice and quiet though the Seagate 7200.9 160GB is even quieter.

That's interesting... Is your 7200.9 160GB an ATA version? Yes it is quiet, it's with AAM on. But all of my customers are complaining the SATA version to be a bit loud on seeking. Just sharp metallic sounds.

My 7200.9 160GB is a SATA. It just flutters slightly on seek.

Is the 7200.10 as noisy as the Raptor?

Come on, is it realy that bad ? Is it louder then old drives with ball bearing spindle motors ?

Maybe you just have a faulty drive.

It could be that I just got a bad hard disk, but then GamePC got a faulty one aswell. (They compared the noise to be on par with a Raptor) I can myself only compare the HD to what I have :

Seagate 7200.7 ATA 120GB

Seagate 7200.8 ATA 200GB+400GB

Seagate 7200.9 ATA 250GB

Seagate 7200.8 SATA 400GB

Seagate 7200.9 SATA 500GB (a bit noisy, maybe even noisy)

It could be a design issue or early firmware ... *shrug*

Perhaps a formal review by SR would settle the question once and for all.

Speaking of which, I wonder why there haven't been any new reviews or news on SR for an unusually long time now... does anybody have any idea?

I agree, it's really a pity, I don't know any other comparable storage related site...

Speaking of which, I wonder why there haven't been any new reviews or news on SR for an unusually long time now... does anybody have any idea?

Well folks - I spent ages looking for reviews on this drive and in the end, decided to simply pay the money and buy the 320GB version.

No problems with noise. It's quieter than my previous Diamondmax 9 drives. It's also quick, HDTach results are:

Burst 262.0 MB/s

CPU Util 4%

Ave read 65.3 MB/s

Random Access 13.3 ms

Motherboard is an Epox 9NPA+ Ultra which supports SATA II.

Edited by crazybones

Folks, check out this: Extreme Tech - Revisiting the Big Kahuna--Seagate's 750GB Barracuda 7200.10 . Some quotes from that first page..

As it turns out, the issue with burst transfers is much simpler than I realized, and has little to do with firmware updates. Several readers noted in forum postings and emails that I may have overlooked the fact that the drive ships in SATA 150 mode (formerly known as SATA I). That means the maximum throughput is 150MB per second. You have to remove a small jumper from the back of the drive to enable SATA 300 mode (300GB/second maximum throughput.)
And check out the results in there too.. Some quotes from final page - Fast Versus Really Fast
In either case, we certainly stand by our assessment that the Barracuda 7200.10 is one of the fastest desktop hard drives we've seen. Now we know it's even faster than we thought.
Can SR verify this review? :ph34r:

I agree, it's really a pity, I don't know any other comparable storage related site...

I too am waiting on SR's review of the drive, however we all must remember that SR is maintained as a non-profit site by a group of individuals who do it for the love of storage. Becuase of this, all hardware reviewed comes either from funds denoted, or certain individuals denoting equipment.

So if you want to see a SR review, either send in some hardware (which you would like reviewed, and I'm sure that Eugene would ensure that it'll get back to you in one piece), or denote some cash!