qwe123

Seagate 7200.10 Review

Does anyone know if the new 7200.10 series still has the offline scan thing?

I refer here at that disk scanning that occured after 40 seconds of the drive being idle and resulted in the chirping sound characteristic for the seeking which lasted for about 1 minute and then the scan was repeaded at regular intervals. This thing is some internal drive procedure because the hard drive led is not lit like with the user started disk activity.

I have this behavior with a 7200.8 SATA drive, but not on a 7200.8 PATA drive (both 250Gb models). I've also read of people having this behavior with 7200.7 models, however which drives have this 'feature' enabled and which not seems random. Some people report it for SATA drives, some for PATA drives. To date I haven't found any rule that would indicate if a drive has it or not (based on capacity, interface type, ...)

I would be interested in buying a 250Gb 7200.10 PATA drive, but that offline scan would be a show stopper given how annoying it is.

Just got a new 7200.10 last day, the drive have a newer firmware than my other 7200.10 (all 320GB`s)

The new disk have firmware 3AAD and the old ones have 3AAC.

Havent done any testing yet, but will do when I have time

Hello, today I bought the Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620A 16MB for 87€.

Product of Singapore

Firmware: 3-AAD

Site Code: AMK

Data Code: 07041

010920061832cl2.th.jpg

Could you post details of your SMART value? The disk in FAT32 how big in size has to be?

hi everyone, i've also purchased a pair of 7200.10 ST3320620AS drives and i'll be happy to post results once i've figured out how i can safely set them up with my existing system:

What I have set up:

2x120GB SATA on Intel ICH5R RAID-0

Promise controller disabled (2 unused SATA ports)

What I want to set up:

2x320GB SATA on Intel ICH5R RAID-0

2x120GB SATA on Promise controller in RAID-0

i'm using a P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard (i875 chipset) which has two SATA ports controlled by the Intel ICH5R (currently being used by 2x120GB seagate 7200.7 drives in RAID-0) and two SATA ports controlled by the Promise RAID controller (both controllers are on board). i understand the Intel ICH5R controller is the way to go with the new 2x320GB drives in RAID-0. my goal is to have two independent RAID-0 arrays.

so what's the best way to backup my 2x120GB RAID-0 data which is currently on the Intel ICH5R and move the 2x120GB drives to the Promise controller? i know i can't use the 2x120GB's with the Promise without creating a new array which will overwrite my old array and all my data...which is ok provided the data is saved somewhere. i don't think my board supports "seamless migration", (not sure) so dumping everything on one 320GB drive won't help cause i'll lose the data when i have to recreate the 2x320GB RAID-0 array on the Intel ICH5R.

is my only option to hook up a fifth drive via USB to pull this off? i'm fresh out of ideas so any help would be very much appreciated.

Edited by munz

so what's the best way to backup my 2x120GB RAID-0 data which is currently on the Intel ICH5R and move the 2x120GB drives to the Promise controller?

Add one 320 GB drive on Promise as a single drive (no RAID), copy or image your 2x 120 GB array onto it, then switch controllers. The ICH5R should read the Promise, and you can set up the 2x 120 GB on the Promise as a new array. Then copy or clone the data back to the 2x 120 GB array, and then add the second 320 GB drive to the ICH5R and create your 2x 320 GB array.

Alternatively, recognise the benefits of running your drives independently (but that's another argument, and for all I know, you've already considered it).

many thanks for your input, i wish i had read it sooner cause i've already created a 2x320GB Raid-0 on the ICH5R (i had assumed that the single promise drive wouldn't work on the intel controller) but thank you very much for the detailed answer. now i know what to do the next time i upgrade. for now i've managed to borrow a friend's lacie 500GB to transfer the data via usb so i'm good to go.

Alternatively, recognise the benefits of running your drives independently (but that's another argument, and for all I know, you've already considered it).

also by independently did you mean in non-raid mode? my preferences lean more towards performance, as opposed to parity/backup which is why i went with raid-0 on the intel as opposed to RAID-1, (those are my only choices with SATA) but i've been on the fence about going RAID-0 on the promise as i read somewhere in some cases there's performance degredation. if that's what you were referring to kindly elaborate. if that's the case i'd rather have a 2x320GB raid on intel and two independent 120GB's on the promise.

lastly, should i leave the SATA 150/SATA 300 jumper on the drives? they're currently functioning in SATA 150 mode, removing the jumper makes them work under SATA 300. although my board doesn't support SATA 300, would i see any improvements by removing the jumpers under RAID-0? i'm guessing i should leave them on SATA 150 but i figured i'd cross check just to be sure.

maciste: i got your PM, and i'll get you those details ASAP...the owner of the lacie drive i'm using for data transfer forgot to supply me with the login details so i'm waiting for him to get back to me on that. i'm using my 2x120GB discs ATM on the ICH5R and i'll switch over to the 2x320GB discs once i've logged in and transferred my data safely.

If a drive isn't part of a RAID, it should be readable on any controller.

I was referring to non-RAID (e.g. two drives with a partition on each drive), rather than one of the redundant variants of RAID.

Sometimes it's quicker if you put concurrently accessed datasets on separate drives, so that you can read both at once, rather than constantly seeking between the two on the same drive/array.

It depends on how easily your data can be separated - you've already got two arrays to play with, so there may not be as much benefit in having three or four independent drives/arrays to split your data across.

As a starter, having pagefile separate from your programs (and, ideally, from your data as well) can help a lot in situations where it's thrashing the pagefile. If you use Photoshop, putting scratch on its own spindle, or at least on a different drive/array from the pagefile, can improve performance a lot. If you edit video, the STR of RAID can help with the large files involved, but so can having source and destination on different drives/arrays.

Anyway, this is getting a bit off topic, I guess. If you want me to go into more detail about this, it's probably best to start a new thread, and leave the others to their benchmarks. ;)

Edited by Spod

thanks spod, i think i'm good for now cause i've got my partitions in place on this RAID-0: OS, SWAP, Apps, Games & Storage and because these new disks are almost 2x faster than my 2x120GB 7200.7's, i'm good for now. :)

maciste: sorry but i think the details you wanted aren't available because my drives are in an array (i clicked the health tab but it's empty).

i'm attaching some benches of the 2x320GB 7200.10's in RAID-0 on ICH5R

hdtach320gblongbenchdz0.th.jpg

hdtune320gblongbenchek6.th.jpg

also for those wondering about drive noise/drive seek noise...no problems with my pair. in fact 2x320GB 7200.10's in RAID-0 are no louder than ONE 120GB 7200.7! IMHO i think they're the quietest drives i've used to date.

Wanted to chime in and say the 7200.10 320gb I installed in a friends new system tonight turned out to be loud as heck, chirped on seeks, and then started throwing read errors. Had sticker on the spindle too.

I love this HD when it works, just too bad my friends computer had to get the bum drive. When it works, its very nice and quiet, but when its bad... the thing sounds like a cricket on steroids hiding inside the computer case!

I've just bought a chinese seagate 7200.10 250GB for my USB BOX, 28MB max, that's ok, but when I do 90 second test from http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/B7c.html between standard head noises it emitates about 33 pcs. of different noise (between them) and they sounds like bird high pitch sing (0.5 sec. max)... hdd raports no errors... do you have the same syndroms?

First time poster, long time reader <_<

Purchased drive from newegg, recieved nextday (a perk of living within a few hundred miles of them).

Haven't copied anything to it, but it's silent during hdtach and hdtune, oh and it's the 16MB cache version.

Here's my hddtach benchmark.

Imo looks good besides high cpu usage, possibly a perk of using an nforce4 (non ultra) mobo :huh:

seagate320py9.png

Edited by Moloch

Does anyone have an update and more information about the noisy bad batches of 7200.10 to avoid (Country of origin,...)? Is it such a widespread issue or is it something that will be fixed in time?

I don't know any news about the noise, but take a look at the SR front page for real world performance of the Barracuda ES (enterprise version of 7200.10). After that I won't bother with the noise any more, because I wouldn't want to get one anyway ;)

MrS

update on my 7200.10:

after some weeks of non intensive use the drive started emitting a whining sound. kicked it out of my system as i can't stand such drives. :angry:

i used to like seagate drives, but after the last two drives (one clicking and one noisy) i have enough from seagate for a long long time.

update on my 7200.10:

after some weeks of non intensive use the drive started emitting a whining sound. kicked it out of my system as i can't stand such drives. :angry:

i used to like seagate drives, but after the last two drives (one clicking and one noisy) i have enough from seagate for a long long time.

A shame, I love my 7200.9, really quiet. Haven't heard/tried the .10 yet though, might be noisier. I always wondered HOW my 7200.9 could have faster seeks than an old 4GB Maxtor I have but be SO much quieter. That Maxtor sounds like a grinder.

I always wondered HOW my 7200.9 could have faster seeks than an old 4GB Maxtor I have but be SO much quieter. That Maxtor sounds like a grinder.

Should be a matter of fast 5400rpm vs. medium-slow 7200rpm. And some newer technique - all old hdds sound horrible ;)

By the way, is nobody here shocked about the SR results of the Barracuda ES? Or did you just expect low real-world performance from your seagates?

MrS

oh noo.. I only got 2 option to buy my new hdd either this Seagate and Hitachi The Hitachi one is already out of stock here, only left this Seagate, if this hdd make a lot of noise, this is bad..

The 7200.10 320GB Seagate Sata-II that I will buy is assembled in Singapore

Guest 888
MrSpadge' date='Oct 10 2006, 10:58 AM' post='234876']

By the way, is nobody here shocked about the SR results of the Barracuda ES? Or did you just expect low real-world performance from your seagates?

Personally I just expected exactly such kind of results. Seagate's firmware has been always (ok, let's better say at least many recent years) just an average or mostly even lower, especially for home pc user. Yes, Seagate has leading power in top hardware technologies (in example concerning the platter densities, recording technologies, etc) now but it gives just pure speed in synthetic benchmarking only.

I got a noisy 320 gb 7200.10, really annoying, sent it back and got a quiet one. I now have two really quiet ones. To me, they seem about as quiet as my wd3200jd's, which I've also had a couple of. The only difference I noted between the noisy and quiet ones was the firmware code, the AAD one was loud while the AAC ones I have now are very quiet. I didn't check the manufacture date or location or anything else unfortunately. But, so far, no whines from these quiet drives, and they seem fast to me, boot times are about the same or better than my wd3200jd, for what its worth.