qwe123

Seagate 7200.10 Review

Short-stroked simply means that although the total capacity of the platters used is 400 GB, the drive heads will only seek as far as the 320 GB point - the 80 GB at the centre of the platters is ignored, since that's the slowest bit.

As a result, random seek time is improved, because the full stroke seek covers less difference. But if you have, say, 250 GB of data on a 400 GB drive, and the exact same 250 GB of data, recorded in the same order, on a short stroked 320 GB version of the 400 GB drive, then performance and noise will be identical.

Generally, longer seeks are louder than shorter ones, which would suggest that short stroked drives should have a lower peak seek noise, because the longest seek is shorter. I can't explain why the opposite might be true, it makes no sense to me.

The serial number of my short-stroked 320gb 7200.10 drive starts with 3QH... So far, I noticed that serial number of "regular" drives start with 3QF... I don't know if this has some meaning, anyone to confirm this ?

Hi!

Is there any way to find out if a driver is short-stroked?

I have ordered 2 320gb 7200.10, and i think i can choice from more drives so it would be great than there where any way.

Do you mean Seagate 7200.10 drives ? Can you please point me to these posts, I didn't notice anyone else in this thread with a short-stroked 7200.10 besides me.

AFAIK There are "loud" and "quiet" 7200.10 drives and that has nothing to do with construction, but with the way the drive is factory setup. Seagate ships "loud" drives (actuator is instructed to move faster so the drives have faster seek times) to most OEMs, while "quiet" (slower) ones are standard shipment drives.

Other manufacturers let the user change this with AAM, unfortunately Seagate doesn't support it.

In a short-stroked drive the inner (slower) parts of the platters are deactivated, someone already explained that here ...

[i came to this conclusion just by reading posts. It seems people talk about their short stroked drives being slightly louder. I don't care about a small noise difference, but I'm just wondering a bout the technical aspects of why such a statement like that may be true. Thanks for answering my question though!

So if you had a 320gb that's a short-stroked version of the 400gb, what parts of the drive are deactivated t hat makes it short stroked?

AFAIK There are "loud" and "quiet" 7200.10 drives and that has nothing to do with construction, but with the way the drive is factory setup. Seagate ships "loud" drives (actuator is instructed to move faster so the drives have faster seek times) to most OEMs, while "quiet" (slower) ones are standard shipment drives.

Have people found a way yet to identify which is which, or is it mandatory to participate in the apparent "lottery"?

I'm interested in the 7200.10 to replace my WD 320GB "vibrator", but I don't want to merely trade the vibration for noisier seeks.

I'm interested in the 7200.10 to replace my WD 320GB "vibrator", but I don't want to merely trade the vibration for noisier seeks.

Decouple your hdds from your PCs case and your noise problems should be gone.

MrS

Decouple your hdds from your PCs case and your noise problems should be gone.

Bit hard to do with only one 5.25" bay (Shuttle), already occupied.

The serial number of my short-stroked 320gb 7200.10 drive starts with 3QH... So far, I noticed that serial number of "regular" drives start with 3QF... I don't know if this has some meaning, anyone to confirm this ?

Hi qwe123 :)

I just bought two more ST3320620 drives for friends, and they both start with 3QF [as does mine], so your theory holds true. All three perform like regular drives, but mine is the best performer of the lot. Scans and graphs to follow.

Thanks for all your other replies to my posts, much appreciated :)

Hi qwe123 :)

I just bought two more ST3320620 drives for friends, and they both start with 3QF [as does mine], so your theory holds true. All three perform like regular drives, but mine is the best performer of the lot. Scans and graphs to follow.

Thanks for all your other replies to my posts, much appreciated :)

bought one today and my serial number starts with 5QF.

i don't know it exactly, but this drive could be an oem version as it didn't come with the usual seagate plastic case.

will try it later and post my results.

HDTach

nothing special here, same performance as 3QF drives.

noise level is good, no rough or loud seeks.

additional infos:

- made in china and not in singapur

- pcb is smaller than the pcb of the 750gb version (is this normal?)

7200.10 320GB PCB

I've seen two different kinds of PCBs. The older (bigger) ones have Agere chipset for its SATA controller and newer ones ST. There are possibly older PCBs with ST chipset as well. There is no wasting at Seagate as we already noticed with platters :) It seems like Seagate already started to manufacture its drives in ex-Maxtor factory in China...

HDTach

nothing special here, same performance as 3QF drives.

noise level is good, no rough or loud seeks.

additional infos:

- made in china and not in singapur

- pcb is smaller than the pcb of the 750gb version (is this normal?)

7200.10 320GB PCB

It seems like Seagate already started to manufacture its drives in ex-Maxtor factory in China...

Hi,

how did you come to the above conclusion?

Also, which country is your 3QH 7200.10 made in? Thanks.

My drive is made in Singapore. I know that Seagate kept Maxtor facilities in China, and since this is first time I hear 7200.10 being manufactured in China I came to this conclusion. Just a guess.

It seems like Seagate already started to manufacture its drives in ex-Maxtor factory in China...

Hi,

how did you come to the above conclusion?

Also, which country is your 3QH 7200.10 made in? Thanks.

I received the 7200.10 320gb from Komplett the other day and it is as noisy as eveyone says. I have it on rubber stoppers inside an Antec Sonata II case and its griding seeking noise is very very loud and the whole case rattles. It's comparable to the noisest drive I've ever heard which was an old 20gb Hitachi from about 5 years ago. I've always purchased Seagate or Samsung Spinpoint for their quietness but I'll definately be thinking twice about Seagate from now on.

Edited by indiekiduk

My mini-mini review of the 320GB Seagate 7200.10 :

The seek noises are VERY loud !! I'm very disappointed in Seagate, up until now I have always bought Seagate hard drives, but this is just unacceptable. I'm going to return the HD and get a Samsung SP2504C. Well I actually already got it. It's a Rev A from 04/2006. I used the Samsung HUtil 2.0 program to set the AAM to quiet (the AAM modes are : off, fast, middle, quiet). Wow, day and night different in noise.

Brian, Denmark

Funny what people's priorities are. A drive can make the most god-awful seek noise you ever heard and i'll still love it (as long as it's fast). But if it makes any kind of high-pitched whine, it drives me nuts. Actually, I don't mind seek noise at all. The thing that bugs me most is a drive that's slow. If a drive takes more than 1 second to open word, I hate it. If it sits there seeking it's balls off without bringing anything up on the screen, I hate it. The 17GB Fujitsu I have does that. Takes forever to load windows 98, all the while seeking like mad.

I just ordered the 320GB from newegg yesterday. Should be here today or tommorw. I will let you guys know how it performs and how it sounds.

But for the record, with my P180 (which I have setup for near silence) I can keep my twin 36GB 1st Gen raptors quiet. I can only notice them when the room is quiet and I am defragging the Array.

The performance of these drives seems very promising and should be a nice upgrade from my aging 2mb cache WD120.

I just ordered the 320GB from newegg yesterday. Should be here today or tommorw. I will let you guys know how it performs and how it sounds.

But for the record, with my P180 (which I have setup for near silence) I can keep my twin 36GB 1st Gen raptors quiet. I can only notice them when the room is quiet and I am defragging the Array.

The performance of these drives seems very promising and should be a nice upgrade from my aging 2mb cache WD120.

Hey, MaxxxRacer, if you could post the results of your newegg purcase ASAP that would be great, as I was going to get the drives from NewEgg as well ...

I live 50 miles from NewEgg so anything i order from them gets here overnight. The CC went through this morning so it will be here tommorow.. or by the time you read this today.. usually gets here 11am..

But i will post HD tach benches as well as any other benches ppl request. I will run the hdd with 32kb NTFS clusters as I will use it for large data files. (I run 16k for my RAID 0)

has anyone tried a raid 5 config with those new 7200.10 320gb seagates?

the ones i 'll be receiving tomorrow

are 5QF's with 3AAC Firmware

is there an firmware upgrade available?

Greetings everyone. This is my first post here (though I'm a regular on many other forums) and have read this thread with immense interest, in part due to my brother being a patent lawyer in Tokyo. He's currently working on a PMR patent for Fujitsu. But also I'm extremely intrigued by the perrformance these drives are displaying considering the technology is in its infant stage as far as worldwide manufacturing goes.

As far as noise is concerned, my old MaxLineIII 7B250S0 was fairly loud on seeks but very quiet at idle. My current WD2500KS is fairly quiet all around, even more so now that I'm using nVidia drivers. I still have a WD800JB 7200 ATA100 drive chugging along and while it's very quiet under load, it emits a high-pitched whine that really bothers me. Some have reported the whining noise while others haven't. I think it has to do with an individual's hearing because my friend can't hear the whine at all.

At first I had reservations about purchasing a pair of the Seagates for a RAID 0 array, thinking I'd be better off with the WD4000YRs. But buying a pair of the latter would be prohibitively expensive as they do not come in a smaller capacity (at least not yet). So I picked up a pair of 7200.10 320GB models at Newegg because they currently offer free 3-Day shipping, hoping I've made the right decision.

BTW, Has anyone compared a striped array of WD4000YRs to 7200.10s?

Edited by NLight95

Got 3 today (320GB/sata).

Right now I`m formatting the drives. The noiselevel on the disk was not more than ok, I have heard quieter disks. Two of the tree drives has moderate vibration`s. The last of the 3 is perfectly balanced.

A litle later i will run HD tach on all the drives, looking for short stroked one`s

1tb3iz.jpg

Edited by ArcticOC

How do the 7200.10 (ST3320620AS) compare with the previous gen 7200.9 (ST3300622AS). I'm trying to decide which one to get. Perfomance is not as important as idle noise (e.g high pitched idle noise etc) and running cooler and obviously reliability.

BTW Frys has the 7200.9 for $72 after some Seagate rebates and newegg has the 7200.10 for $110 (shipped).

TIA :)

It's hard to talk about reliability as far as these new generations are concerned. I remember as I bought my IBM 75GXP six years ago, nobody even suspected what a collosal failure this hdd series would be. AFAIK nor the 7200.9, nor the 7200.10 have any abnormal failure rates so far.

I bought a 250GB 7200.9 last week, and I'm quite happy with it. Fast and quiet drive. IMHO 7200.10 is the way to go, it's the newer model after all :). I would get that, but my local store hadn't got it in stock back then.