qwe123

Seagate 7200.10 Review

Hi gentarkin,

Well this is interesting, it looks like yet another variation of 7200.10 drive. Getting this drive is like a loterry. It seems that Seagate would fit some floppy discs inside as long as the capacity is right :)

My 320 GB drive is most likely short-stroked 400GB version.

Since HDtach is not very precise can you please run HDDScan and HDtune and post the results here ?

http://hddguru.com/content/en/software/2006.01.22-HDDScan/

http://www.hdtune.com/download.html

Thank you.

Well I just got the 320GB model. I guess its not short stroked =( kinda under my expectations after seeing your guys screenshots. Anyhow the thing is AMAZINGLY quiet...I cant hear it do ANYTHING.

here you go are the results from HD Tune.

LOL the big droop there is my screen saver kickin in...oops =(

720010320gb6km.png

it would seam maybe I just got 2 full size 160GB platters in here =(...if they were short stroke wouldnt I have a lower access time too? ...sux tho looks like I got the bad end of the drives in performance but being its so freakin quiet...I think it balances each other out.

Im coming from a 7200.7 160GB drive...too bad it had a 12.6ms latency...but its STR was much lower it started at 60 or so and ended at 30ish

I will try to get a SS of that other program soon, it just takes so long to run it lol

Hi folks,

a big "Hi!" to all of you as this is my first post :) Encouraged by this thread's findings, I settled on the 320GB 7200.10 for my new main HDD. They landed in Sydney today, and I have hooked it up to my PC and run a few benchmarks. Here is the HDTune benchmark:

hdtunebenchmarkst3320620as3ve.png

From the graph, I infer it holds 166 GB platters. Never mind, an average of 63.9 MB/sec, with 50+ MB/sec for 90% of the drive is not to be sneezed at. Add to it the fact that it remained inaudible throughout the benchmarking, and we have one happy guy typing this away :)

gentarkin, have you removed the little jumper to enable SATA 3 Gbps? Or does your chipset not support it?

Hi all. I have read that the performance of a hard drive MAY vary by the size of the drive. So, I don't know if the different sizes of the 7200.10 can be expected to give the same performance.

Can anyone give any guidance on whether the different sizes of this drive are likely to differ in ability to handle large data sets (e.g. 40 gig SAS data sets)?

Thanks in advance. I am getting exhausted trying to understand this technology! srk

Take a look at http://faq.storagereview.com/CapacityPerformance.

Here's the HD Tach graph:

hdtachst3320620aslong1ol.png

When HD Tune did its access test, the drive was absolutely silent -- no pitter-pattering! Very impressive.

Edited by alexanderino

gentarkin, have you removed the little jumper to enable SATA 3 Gbps? Or does your chipset not support it?

my chipset does not support SATAII it is the nforce3 250GB chipset =).

it looks like our drives are the same though. So, I guess th newer versions of this drive or lately shipping models have full 166GB platters.

ours probably have the same amount of noise too.... - - there isnt any =)

Im starting to like my drive more and more...its not like qwe's but his may have been an early revision one of them dumping off faulty/extra platters and short stroking them...lucky for him =).

still you are right alexanderino...above 50MB/sec for what...80-90% of the drive?? that is pretty amazing.

This drive currently holds fastest STR of all 7200rpm drives on the market correct? thats pretty cool =)

Edited by gentarkin

So, I guess th newer versions of this drive or lately shipping odels have full 166GB platters.

ours probably have the same amount of noise too.... - - there isnt any =)

Absolutely :)

Im starting to like my drive more and more...its not like qwe's but his may have been an early revision one of them dumping off faulty/extra platters and short stroking them...lucky for him =)

Yes, that is one way of looking at it :lol: Poor qwe123 ;)

still you are right alexanderino...above 50MB/sec for what...80-90% of the drive?? that is pretty amazing.

This drive currently holds fastest STR of all 7200rpm drives on the market correct? thats pretty cool =)

Indeed, and the fact that it stays so eerily silent throughout is the most impressive part. I have a 250 GB 7200.8 in here, and when random access tests are conducted, it tries to emulate hail pounding on the roof -- rather cringe-inducing.

Definitely a keeper, and I'll keep note of its reliability as time goes by. After all, perpendicular recording is new tech, even if Seagate is confident to have switched its entire 7200.10 line to it with a 5-year warranty.

Edited by alexanderino

hrm...I wonder what the next recording technology will be for hard disks...maybe something crazy like stacked bits on a single surface...kinda like dual layer DVD's or something? hehe would be crazy.

perpendicular isnt a crazy new technology though, its simply just formatting the bits differently, format I mean the schematic at which they are layed out next to each other(layed out standing up rather than on their side)...anyways thats how I see it. I wonder why this wasnt done years ago...I think its pretty simple..or at least seagate made it look simple lol =)

Edited by gentarkin

Seagate told me that If they have much more 400GB drives or above at any given time and they actually need 320GB due to demand they'll destroke a drive.

They also told me that they have two seek times, performance mode ( loud at seeking ) and quiet mode. Quiet mode is slower and the slowed down seek result in lower decibels, that's the standard shipment drive. The louder drives are shipped to most OEMs.

Im starting to like my drive more and more...its not like qwe's but his may have been an early revision one of them dumping off faulty/extra platters and short stroking them...lucky for him =)

Yes, that is one way of looking at it :lol: Poor qwe123 ;)

perpendicular isnt a crazy new technology though, its simply just formatting the bits differently, format I mean the schematic at which they are layed out next to each other(layed out standing up rather than on their side)...anyways thats how I see it. I wonder why this wasnt done years ago...I think its pretty simple..or at least seagate made it look simple lol =)

It's been in development for the past several years at least, if not longer. There were a lot of technical issues to overcome, plus longitudinal recording was cheaper to use for a given areal density, so there wasn't much incentive to switch to perpendicular. Now that the areal density is high enough where longitudinal recording isn't practical, it makes sense to start using perpendicular recording.

The next few years will likely be a switch to PMR for the industry as a whole, much like the change to MR and GMR heads or to FDB motors in recent years.

Hi alexanderino,

Here is your drive compared to my destroked drive:

hdtachst3320620aslong1olblend2.png

Here's the HD Tach graph:

When HD Tune did its access test, the drive was absolutely silent -- no pitter-pattering! Very impressive.

AFAIK it is not possible, Seagate doesn't support AAM. I don't know if it's hard-wired or if it's possible to hack the firmware.

But how can you change from quiet to performance?

I'm puzzled about my drive performance and maybe this is a way to fix it.

Hi all. I have read that the performance of a hard drive MAY vary by the size of the drive. So, I don't know if the different sizes of the 7200.10 can be expected to give the same performance.

Can anyone give any guidance on whether the different sizes of this drive are likely to differ in ability to handle large data sets (e.g. 40 gig SAS data sets)?

Thanks in advance. I am getting exhausted trying to understand this technology! srk

Take a look at http://faq.storagereview.com/CapacityPerformance.

THANKS! I am sorry that I missed in the the FAQ. :-(

I have 4x 7200.10 320GB Drives in RAID0. They are extremely quiet.

HDTach01.JPG

This looks like a different pattern (no decrease over the length of the drive). Is this possible?

I would bet that this is because this is not a single drive, but a RAID 0 setup, so... Maybe the logic of single drive (slower transfer at end?) won't apply?

Even the RAID 0 consisting of drives, it might compensate for that and write the data into different part on each HDD and that could narrow the speed over the whole capactiy... maybe? ;)

About hacking the firmware - I wonder if anyone did it. Especially considering my thread about disabling the STIR "feature"... :angry:

http://forums.storagereview.net/index.php?showtopic=22815

You mean if you compare two mechanically identical drives with the same capacity of which one was short-stroked ?

How did you come to this conclusion ?

Short-stroked drive has more platters/heads, but on the other hand it would move its actuator less frequently then non short-stroked drive. IMHO the differences, if there are any at all, are negligible.

Can someone explain to me why short-stroked drives are louder?

Hi!

Is there any way to find out if a driver is short-stroked?

I have ordered 2 320gb 7200.10, and i think i can choice from more drives so it would be great than there where any way.

You mean if you compare two mechanically identical drives with the same capacity of which one was short-stroked ?

How did you come to this conclusion ?

Short-stroked drive has more platters/heads, but on the other hand it would move its actuator less frequently then non short-stroked drive. IMHO the differences, if there are any at all, are negligible.

Can someone explain to me why short-stroked drives are louder?

I came to this conclusion just by reading posts. It seems people talk about their short stroked drives being slightly louder. I don't care about a small noise difference, but I'm just wondering a bout the technical aspects of why such a statement like that may be true. Thanks for answering my question though!

So if you had a 320gb that's a short-stroked version of the 400gb, what parts of the drive are deactivated t hat makes it short stroked?

Do we know whether the 250GB model of the 7200.10 is as loud as the 320 and 750 are turning out to be, or is it just a gamble again? I might get one, just to satisfy my curiosity. Presumably, the 250GB model has two platters also....

ST3250620AS is on sale locally.