qwe123

Seagate 7200.10 Review

Heh. I've bought about a dozen of the 320 GB 7200.10 (IDE version) over the past few months (from Zipzoomfly). All are quiet. I didn't realize there was an issue with some. I did win the bad Maxtor lottery a few years ago (numerous unrelated failures), so it's about time I won a good lottery.. :)

Remove the cheapy pin jumper from the back andit's set to SATA2. ya it's cheap, looks like someone snipped it from some paper carton or something

As for the humming, I am not sure. I do know if I put my ear very very close to the hd it is barely audible.

I think my drive is fine.

This is my drive's sound, with a headphone mic literally on the hd itself while it's running hdtach, with all fans (other than PSU) off.

http://www.mytempdir.com/1075731

I am very surprised Seagate's quality control has gone to hell for some drives. This is my very first time I've gone Seagate.

There nothing wrong with your drive if you compare it to mine...

say....is there a problem perhaps with the 7200.10's when trying to access multiple things at once?

With my old WD 80gb I could open up my tv program while I had a game running no problems

But with the 7200.10 320gb it always stalls on opening the tv program when I have the game running

also accessing the hard drive does get quite clicky, and seemingly every little folder switch or access causes it to click.... which I don't think is a very big deal...yet...

I've written before though that the drive itself when idle is silent

I recently was sent this drive.. and I'm not very happy with the seek time.. This can't be right.. and Seagate are giving me the impression they do not want to replace it.. Can anyone else help?

drivedh5.jpg

Thanks.

BTW it is made in Thailand.. Firmware 3.AAD

It is also very loud.

Edited by lolbowser

BTW it is made in Thailand.. Firmware 3.AAD

It is also very loud.

crap..I got a made in china with no label over the motor..it is an SATA version..it has a whine..louder than my 200 gb 7200.8

the pitch and high frequency whine is something that will really affect me...there frequencies really bother my ears and head....

same noise Nexus and Max_clif...have..not sure if it is as loud though

trying to decide if I should RMA to Newegg....for replacement drive....

Edited by nealh

I'm getting mine replaced... This will be the 3rd Seagate 7200.10 320GB drive I receive. The store said they got a new batch now so I'm willing to give it one more shot. If I'm 3rd time unlucky, going to get the WD equivalent.

Anyone know if it's 'safe' to get the 750-GB IDE variant of this series? I have an IDE-only enclosure here and want to replace an old Seagate 20-GB drive from mid-2001. I really could use the 750 GB on an external. ZipZoomFly.com has them for 344.99 USD including shipping right now.

PS: How many platters does this drive have and how much capacity per platter is present?

Guest 888
Anyone know if it's 'safe' to get the 750-GB IDE variant of this series? I have an IDE-only enclosure here and want to replace an old Seagate 20-GB drive from mid-2001. I really could use the 750 GB on an external.

It's OK, only if your old enclosure supports so high capacity drives. There have been problems around sometimes with some external enclosures not recognizing drives over 300 or over 400 or over 500GB.

When the heck is this place going to have a formal review of this drive??

There are only TWO contenders for 320 gig 16 meg consumer drives on the market.

It's been half a year since this came out

Guest 888
There are only TWO contenders for 320 gig 16 meg consumer drives on the market.

There's a little more in 320GB club...

1) WD3200 320GB 16MB (WD3200KS, WD3200YS)

2) Seagate 7200.10 320GB 16MB (ST3320620AS)

3) Hitachi T7K500 320GB 16MB (HDT725032VLA360)

4) Samsung T166 320GB 16MB? (HD321JJ) *not released yet

5) Samsung T133 320GB 8MB (HD320LJ) *same as T133 300GB

6) Maxtor DiamondMax21 320GB 16MB ATA (6A320Y0) *same as SG7200.10

7) Maxtor DiamondMax17 320GB 8MB (6G320E0) *listed but not seen model

8) Maxtor DiamondMax10 320GB 16MB (6V320F0) *same as DM10 300GB

But yes, the first three are actually the most interesting ones to compare now...

Anyone know if it's 'safe' to get the 750-GB IDE variant of this series? I have an IDE-only enclosure here and want to replace an old Seagate 20-GB drive from mid-2001. I really could use the 750 GB on an external.

It's OK, only if your old enclosure supports so high capacity drives. There have been problems around sometimes with some external enclosures not recognizing drives over 300 or over 400 or over 500GB.

Oh really? I really hope my enclosure (Venus DS3) doesn't have such a problem. I need the 750-GB drive for huge files and prefer to keep them outside my PC. Edited by NGUYEN Adam

I don't post on here very much, but I've just read the entire thread and I thought I would say a few things.

I work for a computer shop in New Zealand and we sell about 400-500 drives a month. We sell mostly Seagate, but reasonable quantities of Hitachi and WD as well.

The 7200.10's we have had are from China and Singapore, but I have seen some from Thailand as well. I haven't noticed any drives that are particularly loud or quiet, but the enviroment in the shop makes it difficult to hear things like that.

We have had a lot of them die though, we move a lot of 250gb's and 320gb's, maybe 300 of those two capacities alone a month, and we have rma'd maybe 5% of them, which is quite high compared to what we have had with other drives over the last 4 years! Normally it would be about 1% or even less in the first few months we are selling drives. The problems are mostly similar to what has been described here, very loud clicking seek noises, failure to write, etc. We've also had 6 or 7 that have simply had chips on the pcb start smoking and filled the entire shop with that terrible burning smell.

What I can tell you however is that the 400gb's are not 2 platter drives :) The 2 near the end of the model number means either 2 or 2.5 platters. Just the same way that the 1 in the 250gb model we get quite often doesn't have just 1 platter, it has 1.5

Normal shipping 7200.10's should have these platter arrangements:

750gb 4x 187.5gb

500gb 3x 166.67gb

400gb 2.5x 160gb

320gb 2x 160gb

250gb 1.5x 166.67gb

I have been told that making a faulty 500gb drive a 400gb or 320gb, or a 400gb down to a 320gb does not happen, they will just throw away the dead platter and put in a new (correctly sized) platter. However if one side of the platter is OK they will reuse it on the half platter drives like the 250gb and 400gb.

Thx for the information, Brad! Maybe Seagate went too cheap with these drives? Honestly, I don't see any reason to go with Seagate this time instead of Hitachi or WD. Performance was never Seagates strength, but now reliability and noise turned from a strength into a weakness. Is there anything positive left? Oh, and the new Hitachi also has a very high STR...

MrS

I got one of those destroked drives (320GB), but when I compare the transfer rates here

it looks more like it was a 400GB drive (I wonder if anyone has graph of a 7200.10 500GB model)

I tried emailing Seagate and no one could explain that, until one day I received an email directly from product manager of 7200.10 line (what an honour :) ) and she told me that due to demand for lower capacity models they sometimes destroke higher capacity drives (no mention of failed drives :) ). She also said I gain higher performance from a drive with more platters and heads (a head switch time (purely electrical) is much faster than the actuator having to move to another track/sector). She didn't say anything about more heat and, at least theoretically, less reliable drive.

I have been told that making a faulty 500gb drive a 400gb or 320gb, or a 400gb down to a 320gb does not happen, they will just throw away the dead platter and put in a new (correctly sized) platter. However if one side of the platter is OK they will reuse it on the half platter drives like the 250gb and 400gb.
Edited by qwe123

We've also had 6 or 7 that have simply had chips on the pcb start smoking and filled the entire shop with that terrible burning smell.
I can imagine following conversation:

- What's smoking here?

- Just doing burn-in test for HD.

;)

Starts to sound badly like Seagate bought also something else than just ownership of Maxtor.

Hmm. Perhaps I should hold out till the competition (WD and Hitachi only?) reach near or above this capacity before I go plunk down money for this 750-GB drive. I only need another big drive for DVD image storage. Perhaps a 500-GB would do for now, but I'll need a bigger one by 2007-Q2.

Guest 888
...the 1 in the 250gb model we get quite often doesn't have just 1 platter, it has 1.5

250gb 1.5x 166.67gb

The model code for 250GB 7200.10 is ST3250620A/AS or ST3250820A/AS. So there's still "2" not "1" written. At least I have not seen the other ones so far. Anyway, these Seagate model codes may be well sometimes out of system. But yes, 250GB model in 7200.10 series is most probably a 3-head drive, just as you also mentioned above.

Thanks for posting your store experience BradC, but as 888 points out there doesn’t yet appear to exist a ST3250620A(S) that ends in 10A(S). I’ve googled for it, there’s not one hit, and still won’t be as 888 and myself have tippy-toed around posting it (I pray Google doesn’t index forum links ;)). I dare you to come back and post the model number!