qwe123

Seagate 7200.10 Review

Due to the complexity involved in getting a good 7200.10, I could really use a boutique electronics shop right now. This type of shop would pre-screen hard drives for the correct firmware, correct country of origin, correct labeling, and correct acoustic behavior. Their stuff would cost more money, but to an end user such as myself, well worth the trouble of avoiding the lottery and RMA. I'm not sure how they would be able to remain in business assuming they deal with many rejects, but I can dream on. For example, I just purchased pairs of vacuum tubes that cost more to be "matched and balanced"--something like this, but for hard drives I'm thinking.

I usually wait until hard drive technology capacity is double my current hard drive, yet density is enough to keep it on two platters. That to me signals a buy period, and that policy has kept me upgrading before hard drive failure later on. Right now my buy target is 320GB on two platters--this means 7200.10. Good enough to double my current capacity and keep two platters, and yet small enough to allow the likely 640GB on two platters in a few years time.

I'm limited by small form factor PCs, meaning by default, one Raptor hard drive for OS, and one large capacity drive for everything else. Any hard drive unreliability would be a major setback... I do not have the fault tolerant modular options as most, with their quad-tuplet-SATA and PATA ports.

Right now I've got my shaky trigger finger hovering over NewEgg's "ADD TO CART" button, full of doubt, apprehension, and unrealistic optimism. My eyes are squinting, my face is locked in a grimace, braced for the painful impact ahead. I tell myself to think logically using the facts available and make the best decision possible with calculated risk management, but my guts are still screwed up.

I could really use a boutique electronics shop.

Hi

I have 1 sata Maxtor Diamondmax 10 (6B200M0) with 200gb for the moment, but i'm thinking of getting 1 or 2 drives to get more performance...

I'm still in doubt of choosing 1 new WD Raptor WD740ADFD (or maybe 150gb version) OR 2 7200.10's 320GB sata in raid0 on my onboard via Controller.

Would there be a big difference in speed between the raid0 setup or 1 raptor? And comparing to my Diamond drive?

What would you guys suggest for my everyday use (gaming (DoDs), surfing around, downloading, ...)?

Greetz

Guest 888
I have 1 sata Maxtor Diamondmax 10 (6B200M0) with 200gb for the moment, but i'm thinking of getting 1 or 2 drives to get more performance...

I'm still in doubt of choosing 1 new WD Raptor WD740ADFD (or maybe 150gb version) OR 2 7200.10's 320GB sata in raid0 on my onboard via Controller.

Would there be a big difference in speed between the raid0 setup or 1 raptor? And comparing to my Diamond drive?

What would you guys suggest for my everyday use (gaming (DoDs), surfing around, downloading, ...)?

1 x Raptor (ADFD) is generally faster than 2 x 7200.10 320's RAID0 in almost all real situations. Only in big file scenario (video editing, big file continuous writing) it may probably be other way.

Your DM10 is slower than 1 x 7200.10 but not very much (because of Maxtor had much better firmware than Seagate has).

My suggestion is: Buy one Raptor and one 320GB drive and use them separately.

Thx 888...

Think i'll buy a new 74gb raptor then for steamgames + xp (and vista) and just keep on using my maxtor diamondmax for data (music, movies, ...).

hmm I found out some strange thing when burning dvd+r (Verbatim 16x dvd+r) using 2 diff hdd..

from my previous WD 250GB PATA hdd the dvd+r burn quality is always like 97-99

..and when burning from this Seagate 320GB 7200.10 hdd, I always got 94-95 quality score (using Nero CD-DVD Speed), I have already done the defragmenting to the hdd and it still produce the same result..

My Comp Spec:

AMD64 3200+ Venice (2.0Ghz)

512x2MB Mushkin Blueline RAM (2,3,3,6 2T)

DFi Lanparty Ultra-D Nforce-3

320GB Seagate 7200.10 HDD SATA

BenQ 1640 DVDRW Drive (BSQB)

WinXP Pro SP2

I'm exhibiting the click of death on my 7200.10 400GB.

Reminds me of the 75GXP days :(

It's also running incredibly hot and drive seek is fairly audible.

Anybody else encounter these problems?

My 320GB may be dieing as well..

Windows system log is full of pageing errors, and the seagate online test says both partitions have errors.

bah.... this sucks!

I have over 240GB of stuff on there :angry:

Did you check S.M.A.R.T. values ? Do you have adequate cooling, this drive is known to run very hot.

^

My 320GB may be dieing as well..

Windows system log is full of pageing errors, and the seagate online test says both partitions have errors.

bah.... this sucks!

I have over 240GB of stuff on there :angry:

Hey there...looking for a little guidance on these drives. I've read the thread and absorbed all of the mixed reviews and inconsistant results so maybe someone can chime in on later manufactured drives.

I placed an order for a 7200.10 250G 16MB the other day but promptly cancelled it after reading this thread. Basically, I was looking at a 250G for a boot drive and a 500G as a media drive for a desktop and was gonna go with the 7200.10 series, but now I'm not so sure. About the noise, I can deal with the seek noise, but do these drives have any whine or high-pitched rotational noises? Have these problems been sorted out in the newer drives? I'm also concerned about reliability on these and noticed several people are already reporting failures. I would go with a Raptor 1500 but they only support SATA150 and, even though the performace increase is negligible, I'd really like a SATA300 drive. Can anyone rehash or revisit their review and shed some light on the drives a couple months down the road?

Also, I can't find any info on the 7200.9 drives and any problems they might have had. Can anyone shed some light on those drives?

Thanks for the help!

Hey there...looking for a little guidance on these drives. I've read the thread and absorbed all of the mixed reviews and inconsistant results so maybe someone can chime in on later manufactured drives.

I placed an order for a 7200.10 250G 16MB the other day but promptly cancelled it after reading this thread. Basically, I was looking at a 250G for a boot drive and a 500G as a media drive for a desktop and was gonna go with the 7200.10 series, but now I'm not so sure. About the noise, I can deal with the seek noise, but do these drives have any whine or high-pitched rotational noises? Have these problems been sorted out in the newer drives? I'm also concerned about reliability on these and noticed several people are already reporting failures. I would go with a Raptor 1500 but they only support SATA150 and, even though the performace increase is negligible, I'd really like a SATA300 drive. Can anyone rehash or revisit their review and shed some light on the drives a couple months down the road?

Also, I can't find any info on the 7200.9 drives and any problems they might have had. Can anyone shed some light on those drives?

Thanks for the help!

I highly recommend the 320GB 7200.10 because of the faster speeds due to higher platter density. Raptors are limited to SATA 150 but SATA 300 vs 150 does not matter. Only burst speeds are faster, but theoretical speeds are NOT AFFECTED AT ALL. My Raptor ADFD runs as my boot drive, but I have 2x7200.10s as my storage drives. I have an additional 7200.9 whcih serves as even more storage. The two 7200.10s I got roughly a month ago off the Egg are both quiet ones. Honestly, if you have HD cooling like a fan in front of it, you won't be hearing much. Seek noises are barely audible for me.

Edit: My 7200.9 has been good since May or June 2006. Previously, I owned a 7200.8 which failed within 6 months and then I replaced it within 4 months because SMART started going berserk although I think it's because I set the start date wrong so prediction was going haywire. But Seagate was nice enough to replace my 7200.8 witha 7200.9. I never had clicking noises, and the only problem I had was weird. It was a corruption of Windows every month or so and replacing my RAM and clocking to stock speeds and even underclocking solved no issues. once I replaced my 7200.8 it was fine. That said I still stick with Seagate. 3/4 drives in my computer are Seagates. My backup drive is a 7K250 and somehow it failed on me a month ago.

Edited by dlerium

Some ways to go deeper on this matter, mates.

Lets put our 7200.10 to weigh.

Lets test our 7200.10 with SATA2 on AND off, and compare the noise.

Lets test our 7200.10 with NCQ on AND off, and compare the noise.

Remember that the firmware changes bahaviour of the

disk accordingly to the setup in the moment of course,

this is the purest marketing.

Attentiously,

Sharingzee.

Seagate data sheet very clearly states that 320 GB drive has 2 platters. I emailed them but they just said that seagate currently doesn't "publish how many platters they put". When I pointed them to their own data sheet they simply ignored me and closed the case.

So this coincide with your presumption. It seems that people receive drives with junk/reject platters or heads as they were new and up to specification. That explains why some drives are slower, some very noisy etc.

I expected that such drives could end up only as replacements, not sold as new.

They probably count on the fact that there are enough ignorant customers...

Yes, current 7200.10 320GB drives may use 160GB or 166GB or 188GB (or even 200GB) platters but in any case this must be 2-platter construction with 4 heads. The short-stroked (unused) end of the bigger platters isn't bad thing, it just arises the STR at the 320GB end area of the drive. It's relatively low possibility they use also failed 500GB drives in production of 320GB (which results in 3-platter 320GB units!) but it could be still so in some cases. May-be this high-performance sample recently tested here by qwe123 was that case..we don't know this exactly. There's always possibility to get some weird combined individual drive. But I still think the 320GB is less affected to these tricks...

Edited by sharingzee

Hi,

today I bought Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200rpm 16MB. It is 7200.10 SATA drive according to model number (ST3220620AS). Guess what , I think that those guys from Seagate have put some old ball bearing spindle motor inside the drive. The noise is unbelievable. Five years ago I had HDD with similar noise. It was Quantum Fiteball Plus AS. It was fast but noisy. I think that this HDD must come in a noise reduction 5.25" box.

Hi,

today I bought Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200rpm 16MB. It is 7200.10 SATA drive according to model number (ST3220620AS). Guess what , I think that those guys from Seagate have put some old ball bearing spindle motor inside the drive. The noise is unbelievable. Five years ago I had HDD with similar noise. It was Quantum Fiteball Plus AS. It was fast but noisy. I think that this HDD must come in a noise reduction 5.25" box.

Can you test with NCQ off; SATA2 off; or weigh the drive?

I also bought ST3320620AS (Barracuda 7200.10 SATA II 320GB) drive yesterday. It was manufactured in Singapore and had firmware 3.AAE. It had the â€Not-Silent motor†like in the Post #146. While idling the drive emitted a high-pitched whine.

I uninstalled the drive and returned it to the shop. In the shop, I checked which motors the other Seagate drives had. All other Seagate models, including the 320GB PATA model, had the â€Silent motorâ€. All ST3320620AS drives (manufactured either in China or Singapore) had the â€Not-Silent motorâ€.

I have been a Seagate supporter for few years now (the 7200.7 drives seem to be excellent). I decided not to gamble with Seagate drives anymore and picked up a WD drive instead.

Country of origin is Singapore. HDD motor according to post 146 is not silent. I can not test it, because I returned it to the shop for repair. If it is broken they will give me another one. Can somebody tell me how to disable NIC or SATA2 function. There is only one jumper with 3 possible positions in the back of the drive and there are no instructions how it works.

My last "big" disk - a WD1600JD - failed last week :( so I've just bought a couple of ST3320620AS drives for ~£60 each. The firmware version is 3.AAE and the drive was made in Singapore.

So far very impressed, running in RAID 0 on my ICH8R controller.

HDTune 2.52 : burst rate->145MB/s, access time->12.9ms, avg. transfer rate->111MB/s.

HD Tach 3.0.1.0 : burst speed->377MB/s, access time->12.9ms, avg. read->130MB/s.

Noise level (in my Akasa Mirage case w/ front 12cm fan) is not at all intrusive, and *very* much quieter than my WD Raptor 36GB (sorry can't give dB figures, since my ears are the only audio comparison technology I have available!)

Finally, I have got my Seagate drive back from repair. It was replaced with new one. Now I have Seagate 320 GB 7200.10 SATA2 HDD made in China with silent motor. No more high pitch whine. The drive according to my hearing produces ~ 60% less noise when idle then previous one with non-silent motor. So, there is some kind of lottery form Seagate. Some of their drives are noisy , other are not.

I am searching for a tool that can check SATA2 and NCQ status. Seatool desktop edition is not suitable. I did not find other tool on seagate page until now.

Received Singapore with not-silent motor and 3.AAE firmware. Has high pitched whine...

I find it astounding that so many bad drives leave the factories or does Seagate not see these drives as being defective? I believe they should as not all of them exhibit the noise.

Received Singapore with not-silent motor and 3.AAE firmware. Has high pitched whine...

I find it astounding that so many bad drives leave the factories or does Seagate not see these drives as being defective? I believe they should as not all of them exhibit the noise.

Hey Nexus, can you record the noise for me? I got the same drive but dont know if it is without the high pitch sound or not.

Hey Nexus, can you record the noise for me? I got the same drive but dont know if it is without the high pitch sound or not.

I just received my drive the other day and have made it my main drive. Although while seeking (and seemingly every small activity including moving between folders within the same tree) there is a definite audible clicking sound. It's not as loud as when a drive goes bad and starts clicking, but it is definitely audible.

The drive itself however is pretty much completely silent, as my case fans and cpu cooler drown out the sound of any idle noise. This drive is replacing two WD 80gb drives and a Quantum Fireball LM 30gb (which btw had the loudest whine of any hard drive I've ever heard...being 6 years old and all)

Edited by feix

Trust me...if you get one you will notice immediately. I will see what I can do.