Sign in to follow this  
Dimion

Possibly Stupid Question--PATA vs. SATA vis a vis Macs

Hi, I'm planning on getting a new 500 gb HD to be put in an external enclosure, not inside my laptop. I use an ibook g4, the ones that came out at the end of last summer (or early fall?).

I know that as far as using an hd internally, my ibook g4 would need PATA, but in terms of using an hd in an external enclosure, I could use SATA right?

Also, if indeed I can use SATA, what is the ultimate external enclosure? I'm planning on getting the Hitachi SATA 500 gb hd (forget the model number, sorry). I saw a review of this hd, the Addonics Saturn Cipher Mobile: http://www.amug.org/amug-web/html/amug/rev...ddonics/cipher/. Is this recommended?

THanks so much for any possible help

Guest 888
I know that as far as using an hd internally, my ibook g4 would need PATA, but in terms of using an hd in an external enclosure, I could use SATA right?

There are external PATA enclosures and external SATA enclosures existing on market. PATA is still more widely used, but there's no difference - as of outside, these enclosures look and function absolutely the same (USB, Firewire). The only thing you must take into account is to select right pair (in example SATA enclosure + SATA hdd) when buying these components.

If you iBook has PCMCIA Cardbus slot, there are or soon will be SATA 32-bit, 2-channel cards to support SATA drives. I would much rather see SATA, FW has just got too many problems and issues, plus SATA would let you use, say, WD's 10K Raptor.

FW400 = 25-35MB/sec in real use based on 10.4.6 and QuickBench. Better but not great.

There is also a FW800 Cardbus - probably Sonnet or LaCie but not sure. 50MB/sec single drive.

There are FW/USB2/SATA cases that let you use PATA or SATA.

www.macgurus.com under FireWire case kits.

Keep your eye on AMUG - great reviews

www.barefeats.com - some good reviews and benchmark results

www.macsales.com

www.firmtek.com/seritek

Hi, I'm planning on getting a new 500 gb HD to be put in an external enclosure, not inside my laptop. I use an ibook g4, the ones that came out at the end of last summer (or early fall?).

Also, if indeed I can use SATA, what is the ultimate external enclosure? I'm planning on getting the Hitachi SATA 500 gb hd (forget the model number, sorry). I saw a review of this hd, the Addonics Saturn Cipher Mobile: http://www.amug.org/amug-web/html/amug/rev...ddonics/cipher/. Is this recommended?

THanks so much for any possible help

if you just want to connect a drive to the G4:

Use an enclosuse that have USB2 and/or Firewire.

Usually use these enclosures PATA internal, but there are SATA enclosures avalible.

Since there is no performance difference between SATA and PATA, just go for the PATA.

Firewire is far superiour over USB2. You have 400mbit unshared bandwitch with firewire.

If you want a real small disk: take a look at a 2.5 inch disk. Seagate have a 160 gig.

The enclosure for 2.5 disks are buspowered = you dont need a powersuply.

///Kind regards

Mau

>>

Since there is no performance difference between SATA and PATA, just go for the PATA.

Even a PATA drive with bridge connected to SATA interface will be faster. Only problem is the 12" iBook lacks PCMCIA so it can't be added. And FW never reaches 40MB/sec while SATA can reach 65.

I don't think I'd put a $$ 500GB drive into a cheap case, either.

Ok, cool, thanks for the help guys......but I tend to get a bit confused because I'm new with this...and I can never just decide on what to get.

Basically, all I want to do is this: Get a 500 GB hard drive, probably the hitachi deskstar.

Get a reliable external enclosure, that will connect to my ibook

I guess I just thought I'd go for SATA, because it's newer, and in my mind I just thought newer is better....I realize this might sound naive. First of all, I'm just connected to my ibook now by means of usb or firewire, i realize that, but in the next 1 year or so, I'm gonna get a macbookpro, so perhaps getting SATA 'stuff' (at least for the HD, and a compatible firewire enclosure would be a good idea).

So, basically, I'd love for someone to just point me to a specific enclosure, at a specific web store (perhaps on macgurus or macsales), and then I'll just buy it! This is not to say I don't appreciate the past responses (quite the contrary), it's just that I have a tough time just making a decision :)

Actually, before I risk wasting anyone's time writing out a response, I just called other world computing (macsales.com), and I think I'm gonna go with a PATA Hitachi 500 gb in this enclosure: 500GB OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro 7200RPM FireWire 400+USB2 Combo Solution w/8MB Data Buffer and featuring Oxford 911+ Chipset. FW400 & USB2 Cables; EMC Retrospect Express and Intech Speed Tools Included. 2yr Warranty. (OWCMAU4F7500GB8)....... http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20Wor...g/MAU4F7500GB8/

The package comes with a $320 Hitachi drive for $380 in total, or you can get a seagate barracuda 500 gb drive for $420. The seagate gives a 5 year warranty (as you guys probably know), as well as firewire 800, in case I get a macbookpro later on.

I've heard great things about hitachi all the time, but would you guys recommend the seagate instead? Many thanks again

Edited by Dimion