bitequator

IDE RAID cage for 5.25" bays?

For IDE (not SATA) hard drives, what are some good cheap drive cages that fit inside two or three 5.25" bays and can house three or four (or even five) drives?

I'd prefer a removable-tray solution, but a non-removable mounting cage can work too...

But the above (iStorm7) mounting cage takes two 5.25" bays and houses three drives.

Is there something similar that takes three 5.25" bays and houses four or even five IDE drives?

I also found Lian Li EX-23 and EX-34 but these only seem to work with Lian Li cases.

For that price, you could buy a case with more drive bays! What you want does exist, but as you've found, is often tied to a particular case manufacturer. If you're willing to mod a little, I'm sure you could adapt it to fit any case, though you'll want secure mounting if you'll be removing and replacing drives much.

Hmm, the iStorm7 cage above only costs $32.

The Cremax MB989 and MB810 IDE RAID cages with removable trays cost $95 and $121:

http://www.pc-pitstop.com/ide_raid_cages/

Not sure I want to spend that much to use with 160GB leftover IDE drives I have laying around...

I have 2 of the Cremax MB810 and like them very much (compact, quite - large fan, and cool). I have discovered that I have re-used these cages for several different machine builds. I always seem to find a place for them.

YMMV.

Paul

You need one with built in RAID, or do you plan to do RAID via a PCI slot or onboard? If the latter, a simple cage like the PCP&C Bay-Cool III (or the OEM version, which I suspect is from www.calpc.com ) will work, or something similar-- albiet designed for Coolermaster Stackers-- the STB-3T4-E1, I think...

There are a few others.

If you want hotswap, well, as noted above, that's quite a bit more...

www.calpc.com has some good products. I have their fixed drive system that allows you to fit 3 ide drives in 2 5.25 bays. they also have a product that lets you fit 5 drives in 3 bays.

as for removable/hotswap i don't know if they have anything, and i'm too lazy to check.

Sorry for the late reply... No, I don't need built-in RAID from the cage.

Thanks for the link to calpc.com, but their BayCoolers page only lists a 3-in-2 cooling/mounting cage:

8I6A00: 5.25" 2 Bay/3 Drive Bay Cooler- adapts 3-one inch high 3.5" hard drives into only 2-5.25" bays.

I don't see a 5-in-3 cage, does anyone have the part number?

I just sent them an email asking for prices...

But the above (iStorm7) mounting cage takes two 5.25" bays and houses three drives.

Is there something similar that takes three 5.25" bays and houses four or even five IDE drives?

I also found Lian Li EX-23 and EX-34 but these only seem to work with Lian Li cases.

The Lian Li ex34 DOES work in non-Lian-Li cases, at least it works in mine.

120mm fan gives very good cooling. Some sort of rubber/vinyl isolation material

to dampen vibration. I recommend it.