HamaZ

Adaptec AHA-2940UW problem

I have acquired an Adaptec AHA-2940UW Ultra-Wide SCSI HBA. It's BIOS version is 1.34.3.

The card came with some very wierd settings (HBA ID 15, boot ID 15, SCAM ON, ext INT13 OFF, multi LUN ON etc.

I have of course tried to change this, but changes do not get saved when I exit setup / restart the machine.

I have also tried with F6 - reset everything to default, but even that does not help. After the system restarts, the card retains its old "crazy" settings.

Any ideas what causes this and how could it be resolved?

It does seem the config flash is all ones. Try a BIOS update.

Get an 2940U2W if you are putting a modern disk on it.

I intend to use this HBA only for some testing and temporary storage of some stuff on a pair of 9GB UW hard drives, so it does not matter if the controller is not modern.

I will try to flash it, but I was curious if there was some hidden setting or something which prevents any modification to the BIOS setup.

I really did not check that. What is the best way to discover that without having to dig the PC out of from desk and opening it?

Is it a dead end in case if it is an OEM?

I really did not check that. What is the best way to discover that without having to dig the PC out of from desk and opening it?

Is it a dead end in case if it is an OEM?

Often you'll have to look for a sticker from say, IBM or HP on the controller itself. Even if it is one of those controllers, you should be able to flash it with a standard Adaptec BIOS. I did it with several IBM 2940UW's and 2940U2B's. If that doesn't work, throw it away.

Well the controller is most probably a retail edition. I have downloaded a BIOS update (v2.20) from Adaptec's web site. I have performed the update by the book, but after the flashing the program exited with an error message 8. That meant that it could not verify ROM image.

Anyway, I performed a hard reset, but after that the HBA did not appear after the POST. That was bad.

But the good thing was that the flashing program automatically saved the old BIOS version onto a floppy, and there is a BAT file for restoring it. When I started it, it exited with an error that my card does not have a BIOS.

Looks like I have damaged it's BIOS.

If someone know a way to recover the HBA, tell me. If this is it, then I will trash it. It was bad anyway.

I am a bit dissapointed why did the update procedure fail if the card is retail, and why was it's BIOS "locked" in the first place?

why did the update procedure fail if the card is retail

Probably because something in the old BIOS was corrupt to start with. I wouldn't waste any time with it and throw it away.