Sign in to follow this  
sPECtre

Cheetah 15K.5 announced

According to the Belgian site www.matbe.com, Seagate announced today the Cheetah 15K.5 in 73, 147 and 300 GB with one, two and four platters, doubling the capacity, thanks to P-Recording Technology.

Speed increases are also to be expected: transfer rates of 73 to 125 Mo/s from 58 to 96 Mo/s earlier.

MTBF is still 1.4Million Hours.

Interfaces will be 3Gb/s SAS (Serial Attached SCSI), Ultra320 SCSI and 4 Gb/s Fiber Channel.

Disks should be available to resellers around June. Prices still unknown.

Source: http://www.matbe.com/actualites/13031/

Edited by sPECtre

Good lord! We can almost max out a PATA connection now! (Yes, I know this isn't a PATA drive).

I'm impressed. Pushing the envelope by so much at once, it's surprising what a difference perpendicular recording can make.

I wonder if Maxtor will release an Atlas 15K III before they're absorbed by Seagate?

Edited by Spod

makes me want to upgrade now :o

Whoaa... Slow down there slugger. You appear to have missed that this was Seagate making the announcement. Though the release says they will be shipping later this quarter, don't be deceived. While most companies would mean the April-May-June quarter, Seagate is referring to the first quarter of this century, so we should expect it in volume by the year 2025.

:D

What's the record for the hard drive that shipped soonest after the deadline on the first press release? 3 months later than initially planned? 6 months? I think the average is around 6 months late.

Regarding platter densities, I was impressed that they were still able to double the density, to match the biggest current 10K devices, when 15K devices use much smaller platters. In IDE land, it's taken years to double the platter density from 80 GB/platter to 160 GB, with each generation providing an incremental improvement. Of course, this drive still isn't out yet, and maybe it will take the same amount of time for SCSI to double the density as IDE by the time this comes out.

I wonder how noisy this'll be? The 15K.3 was class leading in its time, but any 15K drive will always choose performance over quiet operation in the design phase.

If we can have 300Gig cheetahs writing 125MB/Sec, why can't we have 300gig raptors by now? :-(. Anybody know if WD plans to release a 300gb version in the next few months? I doubt it personally, as i think the 150raptor is probably selling really well.

Only Hitachi and Seagate are in time with Perpendicular Recording. I think it isn't a problem for Maxtor as they are bought by Seagate, but for Western Digital and Samsung it will hard to make competitive products.

But I think Cheetah 15K.5 are not ready to be massively avaiable before 6 months... It is just an annoucement.

The 300 GB 15K.5 uses four platters, at the expense of more heat, noise and actuator weight. The Raptor only uses two platters, so it's not doing badly with 150 GB capacity. I doubt there'll be a 300 GB Raptor for at least a year or so.

Edited by Spod

Heh, and we could expect the review on SR...6months after the release? After all the 1st perp shipped by Seagate was the laptop 160GB drive, reviewed by two other sources from samples supplied by Seagate back in February, yet Eugene doesn't seem to be on the ball anymore. No review, months later :(.

Only Hitachi and Seagate are in time with Perpendicular Recording. I think it isn't a problem for Maxtor as they are bought by Seagate, but for Western Digital and Samsung it will hard to make competitive products.

But I think Cheetah 15K.5 are not ready to be massively avaiable before 6 months... It is just an annoucement.

Fujitsu is supposedly behind schedule, and will not ship perp drives until 2007, Hitachi...??? IIRC, Samsung has like all the rest (Toshiba too) announced perp drives, just have not put them into production as yet.

At any rate, it is perhaps Maxtor, from which the Cheetah perp drives R&D comes from?. Maxtor “More Capable†of Making Perpendicular Media – Seagate Chief Executive Says.

Oh Eugene, here's the official Seagate release notes (and we see no mention of specific STR's; so the other site is just guessing using a vague 30% increase in 'performance' statement by Seagate?...and we all know that according to SR, STR's mean absolutely nothing, except for those silly niche markets like video editing ;) ).

http://www.seagate.com/cda/newsinfo/newsro...21,3116,00.html

Seagate is now shipping the Cheetah 15K.5 to leading OEM Customers. The Cheetah 15K.5 will be launched to the Distribution Channel later this quarter.

Most likely just shipping limited number of qualification units to OEM customers. Seagate usually ships to distribution before shipping production units to OEMs. I don't see why that would change in this generation. The OEMs still have a long qual process.

Guest 888
What's the record for the hard drive that shipped soonest after the deadline on the first press release? 3 months later than initially planned? 6 months? I think the average is around 6 months late.

Raptor 150GB was already available in some European stores few days before the initial press release!

If we can have 300Gig cheetahs writing 125MB/Sec, why can't we have 300gig raptors by now? :-(. Anybody know if WD plans to release a 300gb version in the next few months? I doubt it personally, as i think the 150raptor is probably selling really well.

Right now the Raptor would need more platters or perpendicular recording to reach 300GB.

Why no 300GB raptor soon ...

1) Volume;

2) Cost to develop, make and thus price/performanc;

3) Power/heat/cooling/noise (if more platters, or if higher density still need higher spec electronics);

4) need time to make money out of 150GB raptor.

Drives for servers usually means you can get away with 1-3 listed above.

They stuck in server rooms so no one cares about the noise. OEM's design to accomodate them and keep them cool. Server usually sits in an air conditioned room. Higher margin and lower volume where higher prices can be seen as an advantage (buy because it's the best and we have a budget to pay for it).

I think they are still evaluating technology and the market. They still want to protect their enterprise (formerly just SCSI) products. Raptor is good for an OS/apps/temp drive but data storage to 7200rpm 3.5" drive is still good value. How many drives do you want in the case next to you ? Everyone wants it quieter and buy more RAM & faster CPU.

Disk IO subsystem may get more performance improvements over 2007-2010 time frame compared to CPU's (CPU less of bottleneck, we want more disk IO). Better use of PCI-Express, faster IO/RAID processors, better software & drivers. It seems crazy I want 4+ drives in a multimedia workstation with GbE to a fileserver. But that's nothing compared to the software licenses.

The problem is that Western Digital can't figure out how to spin 3 platters at 10000RPM. But as has been mentioned, there's no need -- people will pay top dollar for the little that they've already put out.

Well it's july and we're still waiting which is perhaps normal.... apparently SR have one "in the test bed" since 20-june or so but ??? anyone seen any reviews yet? it's almost vaporware..

Hey has anyone seen any reviews on this anywhere? , it's been almost a month "in the test bed" @ SR and as far as I know there are no other sites with reviews.. starting to wonder if there is some embargo on info or is it just vapourware? lol

:P

That's possible, ewart. It's not completely unknown for SR to get a drive under NDA, and not be able to publish a review until the NDA has lifted - Raptor 150 being the prime recent example - the review came out on the same day the drive was first officially announced.

Eugene's just finished the 500 GB enterprise review, so who knows, the 15K.5 review may just be his next project!

(I can predict this with impunity, because I have absolutely no idea whether any of it is true!)

This is pretty typical of new SCSI products-- and indeed of the industry as a whole at times-- you gotta wait, wait wait, months after the announcement.

We have quite a bit of hardware here in advance, but I actually don't think we have any 15K.5's yet since the majority of our SCSI production is all 10K...

I spoke to Seagate on Friday about the availability of these drives and they said expect to see them hit retail shelves around Oct, 06. At this time, they recently shipped $3 million worth of drives to EMC and they are their biggest customer.

Moral of the story... little guys who buy a drive or ten here and there, don't get first dibs.