Sign in to follow this  
zepper

Test on Hitachi 7K80

I'm asking the SR reviewers to have Hitachi send them a brace (4) of 7K80s to test. Run 'em singly and in RAID-0 up to 4 drives in a volume. Always nice to know if you guys verify the scuttlebutt around the Web with some reliable numbers. Whatcha think? Be great to have a poor-man's option if it pans out.

Thanks,

.bh.

Yes, I read that thread before - part of what has stimulated my interest (besides having bought one prior to reading that thread just because it was cheap. But that's not here, is it? A little serendipity is always nice...

.bh.

---------------------------------

4x 80GB Hitachi 7K80 SATAII NCQ raid 0 http://i4memory.com/showthread.php?t=1026 :)

the 80G version of this drive is very slow, much slower than the 250G version

i have both of these at work, and got an 80g to replace my 250G

I ended up keeping both because the 80G is just so slow, and seems noisier too

Guest 888

There's no 250GB drive existing in 7K80 series. There is (was, because of it is out of production now) 80GB drive in 7K250 series which had also up to 250GB drives, too.

So, the 7K80 80GB and 7K250 80GB are totally different drives. The first drive is in fact 100% the same (only re-labeled) as Excelstor Callisto J880(J880S) 80GB and the second one is the same as Excelstor Ganymede J680(J680S) 80GB. The 7K80=J880(J880S) are newer generation of them.

There's no 250GB drive existing in 7K80 series. There is (was, because of it is out of production now) 80GB drive in 7K250 series which had also up to 250GB drives, too.

So, the 7K80 80GB and 7K250 80GB are totally different drives. The first drive is in fact 100% the same (only re-labeled) as Excelstor Callisto J880(J880S) 80GB and the second one is the same as Excelstor Ganymede J680(J680S) 80GB. The 7K80=J880(J880S) are newer generation of them.

7K80 has got a newer electronic, but mechanical is nearly the same.

a) are you actually planning to use 4x raid 0 for a purpose that will have measurable benefit from it?

in most applications (non synthetic) you'd probably get equal or close to actual performance with 2x 300 GB DM10 running mirrored raid 1 and you could actually use the 300 GB to store some useful data instead of worrying when one of the drives in your raid 0 set fail.

B) if single drive transfer/burst rate seems slower than 4x raid 0 (per 4) then it is obviously a driver issue when not using raid.

http://gadgets.qj.net/Wall-O-Monitors-proj...pg/49/aid/21281

Of course if you, like the guy in that link, have money to spend on quite silly things, then why, go ahead!

PS. I have data from 20 years ago that has gone through many HDDs, none raid though. In same time I've seen countless datalosses of many terabytes where that data was on raid set. I've also measured app perf RAID 0 vs no raid and while the 200+ MB/s looks nice, the real performance comes by using profiling to determine where most time is spent and unless your app is frequently doing sequential non buffered reads of gigs then the overall performance of the app is very unlikely to measurably increase from STR of 200+ vs the top performing single drive.

Edited by androidi